Show me your flow!

Fr4nkthet4nk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to see different videos about Low, Medium and High flow in your tanks and pump placement.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow is notoriously invisible. ;)

Not only that, but it's also prohibitively expensive to measure. ($x,xxx+)

This vid gives the best visuals of flow I'm aware of AND it shows actual flow (velocity) measurements for some popular pumps.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like an interesting diy project lol.
Maybe a fan and a light break sensor and an audrino.
Take the number and multiply by the width of the tank. Problem would be what do you do with that information?

Using commercial versions of these researches have found a 15x difference on the same reef outcrop depending on exposed or unexposed to the current. Where do you measure from in your home reef?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like an interesting diy project lol.
Maybe a fan and a light break sensor and an audrino.
Take the number and multiply by the width of the tank. Problem would be what do you do with that information?

Using commercial versions of these researches have found a 15x difference on the same reef outcrop depending on exposed or unexposed to the current. Where do you measure from in your home reef?

That was my point – we don't. :p

(All of those measurements are interesting and potentially relevant.....check out Oceanic Forcing of Coral Reefs.)

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my point – we don't. :p

(All of those measurements are interesting and potentially relevant.....check out Oceanic Forcing of Coral Reefs.)

Looks interesting will read when at a computer, thats a lot of numbers for an iphone lol
As the OPs original question. I currently use 3 hydors on their wavemaker. 2 facing each other the other pointed at the back glass crating a diagonal cross flow. But yesterday finally picked my upgrade with currents eflux loop system, can synchronize a gyre without an apex. Plan is 2 facing each other on synchronized surge mode. Will update how that actually works on friday when they arrive. I cant measure flow currently but hoping the more random flow of dc pumps will show a benefit over on/off ac pumps.

OP
OP
Fr4nkthet4nk

Fr4nkthet4nk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow is notoriously invisible. ;)

Not only that, but it's also prohibitively expensive to measure. ($x,xxx+)

This vid gives the best visuals of flow I'm aware of AND it shows actual flow (velocity) measurements for some popular pumps.

Nice video. I would like to see the flow heating different kind of corals in your tank.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 188 73.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.7%
Back