akaemu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tanks guys, what would be the recommendation on flow pumps for the reefer 250, I have two jebao PP-8's but with both of those on else mode either on the side or back panels corals ressemble what i would call hurricane conditions.. 1PP8, 2PP-4? 2 MP10? 1 Mp40?

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a mp40 on my 250, I couldn't get the MP10wQD magnets to work for me. Not at a level I was comfortable anyway, I was worried about the two sides falling and burning bearings out. Others have had luck with the mp10.

akaemu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, i just basically wanted to see what others were doing. my options seem to be either use one of the pp8's on else mode which the corals do seem to like better then wave etc but i wanted something a little more then one to see if a little more sand moving would help with a tad bit of a brown sand bed. Other options seems to be buy this http://www.joejaworski.com/jebao/ for another 90.00 to lower the power of the pp-8's to basically whatever i want, or replace all of it with something different

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not used that before, but read good things about it. If you have any thoughts on controllers I'd wait on that wave maker controller. You can find a used apex for probably $300 and get the apex/jebao controller for 30-40 I believe.

With the apex you have built in heater controllers and one of the best features in my opinion skimmer delay. You can set the apex to start the skimmer up 10 minutes after the outlet has come back online. This allows the return pump to start up and level the sump out before the skimmer kicks on.

BRS has a skimmer delay timer on their site for $50.

I recently setup an apex and never knew what I was missing. I was able to list my kessil controller for sale and that was one less piece to worry about on my system. I've made a lot of mistakes in the last year and they've all cost me.

Just some food for thought! Haha

akaemu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i will look in to this option, i do have an apex jr. seems i would need the jebabo module and then the vdm module which is 100.00, atleast according to amazon.

Ill also look in to that skimmer trick, i ave been turning off/on my return pump for water changes and then when turning it back on waiting a few minutes and then flicking the fusion toggle to turn my skimmer back on :)

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you are running kessils? The VDM would be a win win. Control the jabeo pumps with one VDM port and use the second to control the kessils. Keep your eye on the for sale forums on the VDM, I bought my kessil cable on here for $10 shipped.

akaemu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i currently have the controller and 3 kessil 160's, kessil only recommended two but it did seem to leave some shady spots so i added a 3rd and broke the cutout on the center of the overflow lid so it looks pretty even.(then bought a new lid incase i want to change lights in the future thanks @Broadfield) I forgot how many modules i can have on the apex jr but i know im getting close to the max so im going to have to look that up and prob. use your suggestion.. Thanks!

IMG_0726.JPG

luckyfin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did the same. Do both use the larger sump as one system, or do they use separate sumps? If a single system, how did you work out the plumbing?

IMG_1482151771.752528.jpg
They have separate sumps. The Reefer 170 is a softie/LPS/anemone tank so we wanted to be able to have higher nutrient levels than the mainly SPS Reefer 450.

IMG_20161220_130144-01.jpeg

lviva003

Just Zoas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are just needing to hard plumb the return, then you simply need a 3/4" MPT x 3/4" SLIP fitting. You will unthread the Red Sea barbed fitting and then thread the new fitting into place. NOTE: the Red Sea barbed fitting is a metric thread. So you will want to use around 15 wraps of Teflon tape on the new 3/4" MPT fitting.

If you are wanting to hard plump all three(drain, emergency drain and return), then you will need to purchase 2 additional barbed return assemblies from Red Sea and three of the 3/4" MPT x 3/4" SLIP fittings.

This might be a newbie question, but how do you unthread the Red Sea fitting? Also, will the the additional barbed return fitting with the 3/4 MPT will fit directly with the 3/4 pvc pipe? I am asking because I am using 3/4 pvc pipe instead of the 1 inch pvc pipe like you did. Please let me know. Thank you @Broadfield

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice tanks!

Rory's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a newbie question, but how do you unthread the Red Sea fitting? Also, will the the additional barbed return fitting with the 3/4 MPT will fit directly with the 3/4 pvc pipe? I am asking because I am using 3/4 pvc pipe instead of the 1 inch pvc pipe like you did. Please let me know. Thank you @Broadfield

By unthread he just means simply unscrew the barbed fitting. You will then replace the barbed fitting with the 3/4" MPT x 3/4" Slip. It can be hard to understand if you don't already have the tank, but it will make more since once you get the pieces in your hands.

And yes the 3/4" PVC feeds directly into a 3/4" slip. Broadfield is using a 3/4" MPT x 1" Slip.

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone that can give me some messurements of the 425xl right spavr in the cabinet? Gonna make a front for all my controllers on the upper part of it :)

Jonathan Iu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back