OP
OP
I'm a natural blue

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, well, well...lookie here! Lights out and this is what I spy.
20170826_212738.jpg
20170826_212838.jpg

I see polyps! Marine snow and DT,s Premium Reef blend live phyto tonight and reefbugs last night.

Justin84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is only a month old, yet this is the second home for my 5 ponies! I started out with a 40 gal Red Sea tank but being messy eaters and with a heavy sand bed it was just too much for me to deal with so this is a 65 tall with a 15 gal sump! Yes it is a maxspect gyre 130! I have 3 tanks and they are in everyone of em! They are captive-bred from Alyssa's Seahorse Savvy! I had 6 but one of my males got GBD and I lost him. :( So this new tank is completely monitored with my apex and a lot better filteration set-up! I've had these guys for just over a year and a half and they are a blast to have!

OP
OP
I'm a natural blue

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Justin84 are you loving the bb? A 65 is what I'm looking at next. I have a Maxspect in my 90. I've been contemplating one for my horse tank when I upgrade. I can not wait to get Clyde a new buddy. Almost ready. I am now waiting until I have fully transitioned to bb and give the tank extra time to populate more bacteria since removing some in the sand bed. Your tank looks like its off to a great start!

Justin84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely love having a bare bottom! Best decision I could of made! The maxspect does an incredible job of drawing up any leftover food and waste up from the bottom and it's set at a very low setting! I didn't have to wait long since all my live rock was already established in my larger setup sump, I was able to transfer them in about a week after setting up and since the rock was established and since I added about 80 lbs of live rock in the tank (80lbs dry weight) I wasn't afraid to add the ponies a little friend as well! There's an awesome mandarin in there that just picks and picks all day! I do supplement his pod habit about once every two weeks with bottled pods but the ponies seem to enjoy his company! I'll call this tank my "budget build" as the tank, stand, sump, rock, light, gyre pump, skimmer were all used that I picked up from my lfs! I just added a jeabo dc pump and 2 Walmart fans to ensure the tank stays at a comfy 72-72.5 degrees

OP
OP
I'm a natural blue

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did it. I decided to upgrade my tank. I found a used 60g rimless cube that came with the stand, sump and a return pump. However, after getting it home and cleaning it up I discovered the tank had major issues that were not apparent when I went to look at it. I was crushed. I will be ordering a brand new one today. The good news is the stand and sump will work great. I decided to upgrade the return pump as well.
So....this will be a bare bottom tank. My question. What, if anything, did you do with the bottom of your tank? Did you paint the exterior to give it a more natural look? If so, what did you use? Leave it as is? The stand for my new tank is not a solid piece of material meaning when the tank is on the stand I can see through the bottom of the tank into the cabinet. It is only a framed outline of the tank shape. Because it is rimless it sits flush on the stand. Do you think I can still paint it? Think it will hold up?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see how a rimless tank differs from a rimmed tank. Since the tank should never move on the stand once it is set up I would expect that the paint would hold up but I am not sure since I have no experience with that. To be safe, perhaps it would be better to put something between the glass and stand that looks like sand.

needbiggertanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so i had the same situation, what i did was cut a black plastic garbage bag along the sides to make it longer and a single thickness, then placed the tank on top of it, then carefully trimmed it with an exacto knife. It worked for me, no light penetrates from the tank into the sump during the day, and no light from the refugium to the tank at night.

Just a cheap, easy suggestion

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I am wondering too. Looks like Critterheaven did that. If you go to page one of this thread you can see her tank.
Yes, I see what you mean about Critter's tank.

OP
OP
I'm a natural blue

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so i had the same situation, what i did was cut a black plastic garbage bag along the sides to make it longer and a single thickness, then placed the tank on top of it, then carefully trimmed it with an exacto knife. It worked for me, no light penetrates from the tank into the sump during the day, and no light from the refugium to the tank at night.

Just a cheap, easy suggestion

Thank you for the suggestion! My issue is not so much the light coming through but more aesthetics. I would like to make the bottom light in color to resemble sand as much as possible.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the suggestion! My issue is not so much the light coming through but more aesthetics. I would like to make the bottom light in color to resemble sand as much as possible.
Could you get a poster or foam board, paint it and then laminate it so the paint could not be scraped or scratched while you are setting the tank and leveling it?

OP
OP
I'm a natural blue

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pump arrived yesterday! Can. Not. Wait to get it all together with the chiller. Now if only I could make up my mind on powerheads/wavemakers and an ATO.

Jebao/Jecod Cp-25 or 2 pp8 4th gens. Thoughts?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%

Back