Shut that Skimmer Down! Over skimming your tank.

jasonandsarah

Sticks, sticks and more STICKS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
perhaps not. but maybe you should declare to the world why foam fractionation is not chemical in nature. maybe you will win a nobel prize.

no one except you states otherwise

the physical portion will mislead everyone

That's utter hogwash. No chemical bonds are changed in any step in a skimmer. It is entirely a physical process and any respectable chemist will agree.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's utter hogwash. No chemical bonds are changed in any step in a skimmer. It is entirely a physical process and any respectable chemist will agree.

eh. when you stated "foam" drains. im gonna disagree. it isnt a liquid

i think that is where any respectable chemist would start. fortunately im not one.

this isnt a chemical reaction

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont educate them. they are beyond gone.
im so fed up

You still have not answered if you use GAC, which was the basis of that comment (using GAC over skimming).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eh. when you stated "foam" drains. im gonna disagree. it isnt a liquid

i think that is where any respectable chemist would start. fortunately im not one.

this isnt a chemical reaction

OK, we are back in the troll zone.

Are you serious that you do not believe that foams in skimmers drain?

Do you even know what a foam is? They are air bubbles stabilized in a matrix of water (in this case anyway). The matrix water can drain (or even evaporate), making a drier and drier foam. That is a purely physical process. You are correct that foam draining is not a chemical reaction or process.

Maybe you should read the chapter on foam draining in the book I posted a link to before making claims that it doesn't happen.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sure. i use GAC religiously. it does the job more efficiently than the glorified bubbler ime.

Why would you use it? For what purpose? GAC removes DOCs (and does not do much else,that is useful). You said you never worried about or cared about DOCs when we discussed skimmers removing them, but you pay for a product to remove them. Seems hypocritical.

TROLL

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you use it? For what purpose? GAC removes DOCs (and does not do much else,that is useful). You said you never worried about DOCs, but you pay for a product to remove them. Seems hypocritical.

TROLL

gac doesnt just remove doc.

also i stated i used skimmers back in the day to trap uneaten food and poo. i didnt expect my skimmer to skim doc because. quite honestly... it would do little if anything doing it.

no one fires up their skimmer to get rid of yellow water or yucky smells.

call me what you will... but you jump to too many conclusions.

ive been very consistent since we had this debate. only one who puts that much faith in doc and skimmers is you.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
surfectants (or lack therof) is chemical in nature.

which is the premise of all the doc bubbles and oil slicks

Many physical processes alter the chemistry of the aquarium.

Most organics bind to GAC in a physical way. That is a physical process that results in removing chemicals from the water. They do not chemically react with the GAC.

Aeration driving O2 into the water is also a purely physical process that alters tank chemistry.

GFO and aluminum oxide and lanthanum binding phosphate are all chemical processes as new chemical bonds are formed.

We have many physical, chemical and biological processes taking place in aquaria, but one cannot look at just the participants or the outcome to know which it is. One needs to understand the actual process.

The formation of oil slicks from bulk oil and water is a purely physical process. Dissolved organics binding at an air/water interface is also an entirely physical processes.

danny_m1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be safe to assume that 85 to 90 percent of the reefing community keeps their skimmers running 24/7 when in actuality we should be shutting our skimmers off for about 4 to 5 hours a day. Are we wrong for running our skimmers 24/7? More than likely. Over skimming or any skimming for that matter removes beneficial bacteria. By putting your skimmer on a timer and shutting it down for a few hours a day, you are giving the bacteria time to assimilate (take in) more nutrients and organics. The misconception with people having algae problems is to run out (or get online) to buy a bigger skimmer. Or to increase the water/air intake of their skimmer only to see problems get worse. By giving the bacteria more time in the reef environment to process and take in more nutrient's, we should start seeing our Skimmate a darker shade of brown in our collection cups. What say you?
What time of the day do you suggest to turn off the skimmer then? Im up for the idea.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gac doesnt just remove doc.

also i stated i used skimmers back in the day to trap uneaten food and poo. i didnt expect my skimmer to skim doc because. quite honestly... it would do little if anything doing it.

no one fires up their skimmer to get rid of yellow water or yucky smells.

call me what you will... but you jump to too many conclusions.

ive been very consistent since we had this debate. only one who puts that much faith in doc and skimmers is you.

I'll just ignore the obviously wrong hyperbole since it is self evident that DOCs concern many people, including people who study and publish on the DOC removal capabilities of skimmers.

What do you use GAC for that is not removing organics?

danny_m1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean,i dont disagree or agree lol ill tell you what tho, when i had my apex run my skimmer around night time and had it off for about 8 hours aday every single one of my corals blew up in the matter of weeks
My old eshoppes skimmer motor died for the second time, so I decided to buy a new larger skimmer al together. Through the five days I waited for my new skimmer to arrive I saw a substantial increase in polyp extension, especially my rainbow trachy.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many physical processes alter the chemistry of the aquarium.

Most organics bind to GAC in a physical way. That is a physical process that results in removing chemicals from the water. They do not chemically react with the GAC.

Aeration driving O2 into the water is also a purely physical process that alters tank chemistry.

GFO and aluminum oxide and lanthanum binding phosphate are all chemical processes as new chemical bonds are formed.

We have many physical, chemical and biological processes taking place in aquaria, but one cannot look at just the participants or the outcome to know which it is. One needs to understand the actual process.

The formation of oil slicks from bulk oil and water is a purely physical process. Dissolved organics binding at an air/water interface is also an entirely physical processes.

yeah well... tell the scientific journal that. foam fracturing is chemical and will always be so.

the cause for surface tension is the difference in the energetic state between a molecule at the surface compared to a molecule inside the liquid phase: the molecule inside has lower energetic state as it has more inermolecular interactions (or, to get to the surface, a molecule needs to break intermolecular bonds, which needs energy). This is more pronounced with higher polarity or when ions (charges) are around as the interactions are then stronger.

You can increase the polarity of a (polar) solvent to get higher surface tension, by dissolving salts.

i feel i am being trolled....

Joya DelMar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine running at dry-skim, and turn down more when feeding the reef, as it will take the nutrients and can risk over-skim flow (cup overfill) ... further, the reef / corals need the feedings, and I turn it back to usual about a half hour or so later. That way, no harm done, and the reef / corals benefit from the feedings completely. What does the Skimmer remove? And whether to turn it off or not? My opinion is that if one does not have the Skimmer running, keep in mind that the water changes Must be way more frequent to replace / remove what the skimmer does. I therefore would choose the Skimmer running unless medicating of course. What does the Skimmer remove? The "dissolved organic compounds" which come from the organic waste in the tank (includes algae), as well as food ... One could be technical, but it boils down to removing fish "poop" etc. lol.... :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back