Sick to my stomach :(

mamacta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to saltwater. I have a Coralife 32 Biocube that has been up and running for 2 months. Got my first fish (Royal Gramma) a little over 2 weeks ago along with some hermit crabs and astrea snails. Water was looking and testing great. Inhabitants looked healthy and happy. Then 4 days ago I added another fish (yellow goby), a skunk shrimp and some Nassarius snails. The Royal immediately began terrorizing all of them. The goby went into a hole and only peaks his head out once in a while. The Royal sticks his head in the hole with his mouth open wide on a regular basis. The shrimp was cornered in the back where the Royal just hovered over him. He is even nipping at the new snails. I decided to try and give the royal a "time out" and my husband and I tried for 2 hours last night to catch him (we couldn't). My Biocube looks destroyed now. Rocks knocked over, water all cloudy (still after 12 hours) and this morning the royal is nowhere in sight. Did not come out when I fed which is very abnormal. He is a very eager feeder. The shrimp however is very freely roaming about. I am literally sick to my stomach right now. I had to go to work and won't be back home for another 9 hours. I got the biocube to have a relaxing hobby and now I'm just devastated and feeling sick to my stomach :( If anyone has any words of encouragement I would love to hear them.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby likes to teach you lessons with the blunt end of a hammer. lol. I had a nano tank setup a couple years ago and my son "had to have" a neon dottyback. I purchased him and plunked him in the smaller nano. He nuked all the other fish. I was so mad. Today, he's in my 80 gallon and probably one of my favorite fishes. PURE JERK. We are kindred spirits. When I added fish to that system I would use an acclimation box and keep the new fish in the box for about a week. It's always tamped down any aggression. Usually they'll attack the box and figure out they can't get in and it kinda makes them think there's some sort of "bubble" around the fish. Hasn't failed me yet. The reason your royal gramma is being a bully is that (much like the dottyback and something I whiffed on) is that they need approx. 20-30 gallons and will claim territory. Since he's the first in, he thinks everything is his. Now that the tank is a mess I would take this time to re-arrange the rock work, sometimes that helps. Avoid fish that have the same size/body shape with the gramma, or are complete bruisers. Let us know if you need anymore tips. Happy reefing.

OP
OP
M

mamacta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby likes to teach you lessons with the blunt end of a hammer. lol. I had a nano tank setup a couple years ago and my son "had to have" a neon dottyback. I purchased him and plunked him in the smaller nano. He nuked all the other fish. I was so mad. Today, he's in my 80 gallon and probably one of my favorite fishes. PURE JERK. We are kindred spirits. When I added fish to that system I would use an acclimation box and keep the new fish in the box for about a week. It's always tamped down any aggression. Usually they'll attack the box and figure out they can't get in and it kinda makes them think there's some sort of "bubble" around the fish. Hasn't failed me yet. The reason your royal gramma is being a bully is that (much like the dottyback and something I whiffed on) is that they need approx. 20-30 gallons and will claim territory. Since he's the first in, he thinks everything is his. Now that the tank is a mess I would take this time to re-arrange the rock work, sometimes that helps. Avoid fish that have the same size/body shape with the gramma, or are complete bruisers. Let us know if you need anymore tips. Happy reefing.
Thanks for your response. I do have an acclimation box (now) that I was trying to get the Royal into for time out. If the Royal shows up and is still aggressive I will try to get the goby in there for a bit. I am just disappointed as I relied on my LFS to help me choose my first fish. They knew I wanted a very peaceful tank with peaceful inhabitants and the Royal was one of their suggestions. I think I’m the one who needs to take a time out now :(

s1oliver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can sympathize and can tell you from experience this will happen from time to time in this hobby. I've bought fish I was sure would be a great addition to the tank and was completely wrong. I learned "community fish" aren't always as nice to their tank mates as we would think. The best advice I can give you is to be patient and realize you'll make mistakes along the way but it's part of the learning process in a hobby where there's a lot to learn. Nobody starts off being an expert so take your time and do as much research as you can on everything, especially the fish and corals you want housed together. Royal Gramma's are known for being territorial so it's likely trying to assert itself and then claim an area of the tank as its own. Things may level off once that are is established but I'm no expert on those fish so I'm sure some others here can weigh in on how best to proceed. Good luck and don't feel bad, literally everyone in this hobby has gone through similar experiences along the way. It's just part of the learning curve but you'll learn and benefit from the experience.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to make sure - are you sure it’s a gramma and not a bicolor dottyback (which is much meaner).
I’d just wait it out and get future fish that don’t share the same territory as the gramma (no rock dwellers). Gramma are typically more show than they are actually harmful, and are easily outcompeted by the more aggressive fish like clowns. Right now he is probably upset with the new additions, as all territorial fish would be, but will eventually calm down. You can use the torn apart setup as a chance to rearrange the rocks, this tends to confuse territorial fish and reduce aggression.

OP
OP
M

mamacta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I double checked the appearance (he has what I call the Joker smile) and it’s definitely a Royal. I was most concerned about the stress the newbies were being put through. I don’t know how much stress they can take? I practically have to hand feed the goby. The shrimp, other than being confined to the corner, seems to deal with it better.

OP
OP
M

mamacta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to make sure - are you sure it’s a gramma and not a bicolor dottyback (which is much meaner).
I’d just wait it out and get future fish that don’t share the same territory as the gramma (no rock dwellers). Gramma are typically more show than they are actually harmful, and are easily outcompeted by the more aggressive fish like clowns. Right now he is probably upset with the new additions, as all territorial fish would be, but will eventually calm down. You can use the torn apart setup as a chance to rearrange the rocks, this tends to confuse territorial fish and reduce aggression.
FB4DE715-E808-41D6-A83F-5C091AB05871.jpeg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a gramma - beautiful!
Gobies always will hide. They naturally dig caves under rocks and chill out there. Consider getting a tiger pistol shrimp as a friend for it. After a bit they will gain confidence and be very aggressive eaters, especially the yellow watchmans.
Shrimp like to pick a spot and spend a lot of time there.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I double checked the appearance (he has what I call the Joker smile) and it’s definitely a Royal. I was most concerned about the stress the newbies were being put through. I don’t know how much stress they can take? I practically have to hand feed the goby. The shrimp, other than being confined to the corner, seems to deal with it better.
not that this will help the aggression part. I have both a royal gramma and watchman goby in my biocube. Even though they get along, in order to make sure the watchman gets enough food, I turn off all flow to the tank and use a turkey baster to put some food right at the entrance of his cave, I wait about 5 to 10 minutes and then turn the flow back on for another 5 to 10, and then the return back on once I see no more food floating around.

OP
OP
M

mamacta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not that this will help the aggression part. I have both a royal gramma and watchman goby in my biocube. Even though they get along, in order to make sure the watchman gets enough food, I turn off all flow to the tank and use a turkey baster to put some food right at the entrance of his cave, I wait about 5 to 10 minutes and then turn the flow back on for another 5 to 10, and then the return back on once I see no more food floating around.
That is almost exactly what I’ve been doing lol.

Mushroomsyo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with a dottyback. He was impossible to catch with a net, so I built a little fish trap out of a small water bottle. Just put a little bit of food and I caught him in a hr. I replaced him with a helfrichi firefish and the tank is peaceful agian.

Good luck!

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im so sorry, and you got an outlier in behavior, don't be too upset with the LFS (at least about that)

I have had a Gramma in every tank I've owned and would called them pugnacious at times but not this bad.
and empathize with he frustration of a search and destroy of your carefully designed display

have you tried a catch box and re home back the LFS and try with something else?

OP
OP
M

mamacta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im so sorry, and you got an outlier in behavior, don't be too upset with the LFS (at least about that)

I have had a Gramma in every tank I've owned and would called them pugnacious at times but not this bad.
and empathize with he frustration of a search and destroy of your carefully designed display

have you tried a catch box and re home back the LFS and try with something else?
We tried to lure it into an acclimation box but that didn’t work. My husband is calling LFS this morning to get their take on the situation. We shall see.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We tried to lure it into an acclimation box but that didn’t work. My husband is calling LFS this morning to get their take on the situation. We shall see.
worse case, pick the rock its hiding in and take that to the shop.....

I bought a Midas blenny in a rock one time

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I have a cinnamon clown in a 180 which will leave a mark on the back of my hand through a surgery glove which is the one and only fish I the tank I cannot get to go into the fish trap....

ProxyAquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to saltwater. ... Got my first fish (Royal Gramma) a little over 2 weeks ago along with some hermit crabs and astrea snails. .... Then 4 days ago I added another fish (yellow goby), a skunk shrimp and some Nassarius snails. The Royal immediately began terrorizing all of them. ..... I decided to try and give the royal a "time out" and my husband and I tried for 2 hours last night to catch him (we couldn't). My Biocube looks destroyed now. ..... now I'm just devastated and feeling sick to my stomach :( If anyone has any words of encouragement I would love to hear them.

Well, Welcome to the wonderful world of salt water !

That said you've started learning the painful wisdom that experience yields and books & the internet often gloss over.

My son went through much the same with his first tank, luckily it was less expensive fresh water. However, the conclusions were the same :

A. The first fish in often establish territory and "bully" latter occupants into lesser desired territory.
B. Characteristics of a species or a class of fish are not reflected in all. Sometimes there is a anti-social psychopath among the "community fish."
C. As for humans, "Time Outs" are not always effective.
D. Tantrums happen. A for legged pet may destroy the couch when left at home, and a unhappy child may throw some toys. Fish find ways to express their displeasure too.

Much like the rest of our lives, one must take a moment to decompress, develop a plan, and then return with steely resolve.

You may feel defeated now; however, I assure you that years down the road you will see this as a decisive moment. Just keep moving ahead.

Best wishes in the fishes,
Jim, who has committed every possible error at least once

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 57 38.8%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 78 53.1%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back