Sick to my stomach :(

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you. I already told my husband that nothing is going in that tank for at least several months now. He feels awful as he was the one who pushed me to do this thinking it would be a relaxing hobby! I love the ocean. I love to snorkel. It seemed obvious but so far not relaxing at all!
Hang in there. This is a hobby or trial and error, joys and struggles, challenges even for the most experienced hobbyist and a budget breaker.
32 Bio cube is a great tank and easy to manage. .. . . . I would spread introduction of new fish out to 3-4 weeks allowing tank to keep up with bioloads.

Nano New

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to saltwater. I have a Coralife 32 Biocube that has been up and running for 2 months. Got my first fish (Royal Gramma) a little over 2 weeks ago along with some hermit crabs and astrea snails. Water was looking and testing great. Inhabitants looked healthy and happy. Then 4 days ago I added another fish (yellow goby), a skunk shrimp and some Nassarius snails. The Royal immediately began terrorizing all of them. The goby went into a hole and only peaks his head out once in a while. The Royal sticks his head in the hole with his mouth open wide on a regular basis. The shrimp was cornered in the back where the Royal just hovered over him. He is even nipping at the new snails. I decided to try and give the royal a "time out" and my husband and I tried for 2 hours last night to catch him (we couldn't). My Biocube looks destroyed now. Rocks knocked over, water all cloudy (still after 12 hours) and this morning the royal is nowhere in sight. Did not come out when I fed which is very abnormal. He is a very eager feeder. The shrimp however is very freely roaming about. I am literally sick to my stomach right now. I had to go to work and won't be back home for another 9 hours. I got the biocube to have a relaxing hobby and now I'm just devastated and feeling sick to my stomach :( If anyone has any words of encouragement I would love to hear them.
I'm still very new to saltwater, a year and a half in. I'm focused on corals, not fish so can't give good advice, I've only two clowns and a lawnmower blenny who all get along great and not looking to add more. But I can say that this is NOT a relaxing hobby! I never stressed so much in my life as I did the first 6 to 8 months with my tank. I still check the thing several times a day and I've had more near heart attacks (and some heartaches) along the way than I could imagine.

However, I wouldn't give it up for the world. Every day the tank is a wonder. The biodiversity that has expanded through it over time, the constantly changing and evolving nature make it much more interesting than any freshwater tank I've owned (I have a tiny freshwater nano tank in my office for the 'relaxing' thing, I get it). Don't give up. I made all kinds of stupid mistakes but the tank has forgiven me over and over and brings a huge amount of pleasure into my life. I've learned not to stress over ever little thing (mostly) but I now know the territory comes with much greater challenges than the freshwater world so I'm more ready when things to wrong. Still learning so much and still making mistakes but it keeps getting better. I figure in 10 years time I might have a decent tank! lol

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PURE JERK. We are kindred spirits.
This had me cracking up

To OP: I’ve had my share of jerk fish- and most grama or damsel fish I have or had has been little jerks. But don’t get discouraged. What I like most about this hobby is it takes my mind off everything else. The good and the bad- so don’t stress too much. I’m sure you will get through this. There’s a lot of good advise here, so I only offer words of encouragement, and for me I try to focus on the fact I love this hobby to keep me from being discouraged through the rough patches. If possible don’t let it get you so worked up that you physically feel sick. It sucks, but I’m sure there is a huge list of other things that don’t suck - hang in there. We’re rooting for you.

Take care and happy reefing my friend

OP
OP
M

mamacta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still very new to saltwater, a year and a half in. I'm focused on corals, not fish so can't give good advice, I've only two clowns and a lawnmower blenny who all get along great and not looking to add more. But I can say that this is NOT a relaxing hobby! I never stressed so much in my life as I did the first 6 to 8 months with my tank. I still check the thing several times a day and I've had more near heart attacks (and some heartaches) along the way than I could imagine.

However, I wouldn't give it up for the world. Every day the tank is a wonder. The biodiversity that has expanded through it over time, the constantly changing and evolving nature make it much more interesting than any freshwater tank I've owned (I have a tiny freshwater nano tank in my office for the 'relaxing' thing, I get it). Don't give up. I made all kinds of stupid mistakes but the tank has forgiven me over and over and brings a huge amount of pleasure into my life. I've learned not to stress over ever little thing (mostly) but I now know the territory comes with much greater challenges than the freshwater world so I'm more ready when things to wrong. Still learning so much and still making mistakes but it keeps getting better. I figure in 10 years time I might have a decent tank! lol
Thank you for the pep talk! I really need it right now :)

OP
OP
M

mamacta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This had me cracking up

To OP: I’ve had my share of jerk fish- and most grama or damsel fish I have or had has been little jerks. But don’t get discouraged. What I like most about this hobby is it takes my mind off everything else. The good and the bad- so don’t stress too much. I’m sure you will get through this. There’s a lot of good advise here, so I only offer words of encouragement, and for me I try to focus on the fact I love this hobby to keep me from being discouraged through the rough patches. If possible don’t let it get you so worked up that you physically feel sick. It sucks, but I’m sure there is a huge list of other things that don’t suck - hang in there. We’re rooting for you.

Take care and happy reefing my friend
Thank you :)

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looked like she was sprinkled with salt. There is nothing going in that tank for a while

I’m so sorry :( Please tell me the good eventually outweighs the bad
I had many years of freshwater tanks but this is my first reef tank. It's 15 months old now and I had my share of ups and downs the first year but once everything finally starts to balance then it makes the effort worth it. You can sit for hours and your blood pressure finally drops. If you fallow your tank you can still have some interesting inverts in there like a cleaner shrimp and a red fire shrimp to complement your snails and hermits. Just drop a little crab food in for them. If you don't have a QT find and LFS that will QT for you.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, sounds like the clowns may not make it. LFS probably won't take them. Let it run its course for them. A single small YWG can survive in a small nano (or pico). If you have the resources you might look at setting up a small hospital tank for him. Leave the cube fallow for 76 days to irradicate the ich (I am pretty sure that is what it is, "sprinkled with salt").

Or, I had reasonable success running an in tank UV filter for many weeks to knock down ich.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with something rated for a larger tank than you have. Maybe a 55 gallon. I believe that because of where your YWG lives in the tank, he may be less susceptible to the ich, but it is still there.

OP
OP
M

mamacta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with something rated for a larger tank than you have. Maybe a 55 gallon. I believe that because of where your YWG lives in the tank, he may be less susceptible to the ich, but it is still there.
I agree. I’d like to save him before his luck runs out

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you got a really good bully. I've had two grammas and they do like their hidey hole but have not terrorized the other occupants except to defend it. I would try the time out. I use JoAnne's green netting to stake out territory in the tank to catch inhabitants if that is an issue. Don't hesitate to pick up the rock and put it in a bucket with saltwater. He will come out eventually if you wait and then pull the rock up. He won't be wedged in. Good luck!

My LFS would be kind enough to let me swap out the gramma for another one. Why not ask them?

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was mine.
Jimi Hendrix, AKA, Mr. McGrumpy Pants...
Hang in there!

IMG_3016.JPG

sascoaquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your response. I do have an acclimation box (now) that I was trying to get the Royal into for time out. If the Royal shows up and is still aggressive I will try to get the goby in there for a bit. I am just disappointed as I relied on my LFS to help me choose my first fish. They knew I wanted a very peaceful tank with peaceful inhabitants and the Royal was one of their suggestions. I think I’m the one who needs to take a time out now :(
if the royal gramma is being to terrorising then I would recommend getting a firefish to replace him (if you want to get rid of him ofc) I've had both a firefish and a royal gramma and they both have great personality just make sure you have lid as firefish are known jumpers if no lid. also recommend next time to cycle with clownfish as they don't get as territorial. please update me on the situation!

sascoaquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the royal gramma is being to terrorising then I would recommend getting a firefish to replace him (if you want to get rid of him ofc) I've had both a firefish and a royal gramma and they both have great personality just make sure you have lid as firefish are known jumpers if no lid. also recommend next time to cycle with clownfish as they don't get as territorial. please update me on the situation!
they are also very very peaceful

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to saltwater. I have a Coralife 32 Biocube that has been up and running for 2 months. Got my first fish (Royal Gramma) a little over 2 weeks ago along with some hermit crabs and astrea snails. Water was looking and testing great. Inhabitants looked healthy and happy. Then 4 days ago I added another fish (yellow goby), a skunk shrimp and some Nassarius snails. The Royal immediately began terrorizing all of them. The goby went into a hole and only peaks his head out once in a while. The Royal sticks his head in the hole with his mouth open wide on a regular basis. The shrimp was cornered in the back where the Royal just hovered over him. He is even nipping at the new snails. I decided to try and give the royal a "time out" and my husband and I tried for 2 hours last night to catch him (we couldn't). My Biocube looks destroyed now. Rocks knocked over, water all cloudy (still after 12 hours) and this morning the royal is nowhere in sight. Did not come out when I fed which is very abnormal. He is a very eager feeder. The shrimp however is very freely roaming about. I am literally sick to my stomach right now. I had to go to work and won't be back home for another 9 hours. I got the biocube to have a relaxing hobby and now I'm just devastated and feeling sick to my stomach :( If anyone has any words of encouragement I would love to hear them.
It's OK. Redo your rockwork and let it run. Fish can hide really good! Hopefully all or most will reappear. It should clear soon. Test for ammonia in case you do have a dead animal. It takes time for creatures to find their place in a tank. Some never will and should be avoided. You'll learn who gets along with who. The fact that you care tells me you will learn and be successful. Good luck!

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your response. I do have an acclimation box (now) that I was trying to get the Royal into for time out. If the Royal shows up and is still aggressive I will try to get the goby in there for a bit. I am just disappointed as I relied on my LFS to help me choose my first fish. They knew I wanted a very peaceful tank with peaceful inhabitants and the Royal was one of their suggestions. I think I’m the one who needs to take a time out now :(
Try a baited fish trap.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fish are just jerks. I have about three that punk each other all day long but its a balance. The one fish i know that is gonna go is my Falco. But i can catch him with my bare hands sometimes hes a complete idiot. He picks up food (algae, wafer, and pellets) that he doesn't eat and just plays keep away with the tang and FF. He reminds me of my 10 yo terrorizing my 6 yo.

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many aggressive fish can also be the exact opposite (except for clowns… they're all Pennywise). I think most of us have had that sixline that makes you want a harpoon gun, but now I have a sixline that’s as friendly as Mr Rogers.
Funny you say that I have gers horror story's as well about six line and my guy is chill with my RG and clowns and fire fish yea he flares up at times and they put him in his place but never fighting or damaged fins. His name is Roscoe the wrasse lol

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 65 40.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 82 50.6%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back