Skimmer baseline noise

Joseph_Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I would like to know if it is normal to have a "boiling water bubble flow" sound when the skimmer is ON. It is my first tank and all the skimmer review videos in internet have all the time either the video owner speaking about the skimmer features, or a background music playing so actually I never had the chance to know how much noise a skimmer is supposed to do.
My skimmer is a Maxspect SK-400 for info, running at 30% in the attached video.
Thanks in advance.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they make noise. Churning the water and adding air makes for some noise

OP
OP
J

Joseph_Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they make noise. Churning the water and adding air makes for some noise
Thanks. So what should I need to do, as the sound is a little bit annoying and can be clearly heard in the room ? Should I install some acoustic insulating panel on the inner walls of the sump compartment to attenuate it ?

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I would like to know if it is normal to have a "boiling water bubble flow" sound when the skimmer is ON. It is my first tank and all the skimmer review videos in internet have all the time either the video owner speaking about the skimmer features, or a background music playing so actually I never had the chance to know how much noise a skimmer is supposed to do.
My skimmer is a Maxspect SK-400 for info, running at 30% in the attached video.
Thanks in advance.
Hard to tell. Mine makes noise because of discharge water. I notice you don't have an air line input silencer. It seems to be a chamber with an outlet attached to the tubing. Goggle some skimmers and you will see. Oco uses them as well as most

OP
OP
J

Joseph_Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell. Mine makes noise because of discharge water. I notice you don't have an air line input silencer. It seems to be a chamber with an outlet attached to the tubing. Goggle some skimmers and you will see. Oco uses them as well as most
As per the below picture, it has a silencer. It is that wide white band seen in the video just below the collecting vessel. But I think that if it is a silencer issue, I would hear a noisy sucking sound, while my noise is pure bubbling annoying noise.
For your case, since it is discharge water, I guess it is more like the noise that may do a lifting pump if I am not wrong. I don't know how you can get rid of it. Maybe by reducing the speed ?
1712699419376.png

Last edited:

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per the below picture, it has a silencer. It is that wide white band seen in the video just below the collecting vessel. But I think that if it is a silencer issue, I would hear a noisy sucking sound, while my noise is pure bubbling annoying noise.
For your case, since it is discharge water, I guess it is more like the noise that may do a lifting pump if I am not wrong. I don't know how you can get rid of it. Maybe by reducing the speed ?
1712699419376.png
Mine discharges into an adjoining chamber witch I fill with batten cheap from local fabric store. It does a great filtering job as well. Mines quiet enogh for me

OP
OP
J

Joseph_Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pending what your inhabitants are you may not need to run it all the time?
Currently yes, just running for 3 hrs per day, but once the tank top bé fully charged, I heard it needs to run 24hr/24. I still need to assess if that noise is considered normal or my ears are just sensitive

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some are more silent than others. I don’t hear mine and I sit 7-8 feet from it. I specifically searched for one that would be; it was my main criteria, besides skimming, lol !

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was a bit loud as well. I disconnected the air line from the silencer and ran it outside. I no longer hear the skimmer, and bumped my pH up a bit as well. Win, win.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently yes, just running for 3 hrs per day, but once the tank top bé fully charged, I heard it needs to run 24hr/24. I still need to assess if that noise is considered normal or my ears are just sensitive
my pump is fairly loud but placing foam around it where it was contacting the sump quieted it some. One day I'll replace it with a DC pump to get it quieter. .

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine empties into a filter sock to quiet that rushing bubbly water

OP
OP
J

Joseph_Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was a bit loud as well. I disconnected the air line from the silencer and ran it outside. I no longer hear the skimmer, and bumped my pH up a bit as well. Win, win.

my pump is fairly loud but placing foam around it where it was contacting the sump quieted it some. One day I'll replace it with a DC pump to get it quieter. .

Mine empties into a filter sock to quiet that rushing bubbly water
Thanks all for the feedback, but all these symptoms seem like they are coming from around/limits of the skimmer. The noise I am complaining about is from the inside, the water column inside the skimmer that is bubbling just below the overflow. Is there a way to attenuate it ?

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the feedback, but all these symptoms seem like they are coming from around/limits of the skimmer. The noise I am complaining about is from the inside, the water column inside the skimmer that is bubbling just below the overflow. Is there a way to attenuate it ?
Have you tried adjusting the air and or water? I did notice the affluent isn't very dark in your cup. Mines like black syrupy coffee

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another idea. here is a picture of my silencer. You could make one on the other hand I found one on
octo air silencer 1.jpg
octo air silencer2.jpg
CORALVUE site for $29Canadian

OP
OP
J

Joseph_Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried adjusting the air and or water? I did notice the affluent isn't very dark in your cup. Mines like black syrupy coffee
It's a new cycling aquarium so yes the skimmed part is not heavily loaded. For my skimmer I checked the inside of the air intake and it doesn't seem locked.
Under investigation...

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a new cycling aquarium so yes the skimmed part is not heavily loaded. For my skimmer I checked the inside of the air intake and it doesn't seem locked.
Under investigation...
Did you see the photo I sent of the octo buffer? No harm in trying it

OP
OP
J

Joseph_Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a enclosure from acoustic foam and just covered my skimmer body and cup. Noise....90% less.
Nice! That what I am planning. Do you have some specifications and possibly a picture to share ?
Thanks

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 77.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.5%
Back