Skimmer issue, any advice?

NoMu Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
I currently have the MagTool DCSQ-70 nano skimmer. I’ve had it for about a month and it was working pretty good! I took out and cleaned the collection cup once it was full, which took about a week or so, and now it’s not working as it did before. It is now pouring over white bubbles rapidly to the point where the cup fills in a few minutes with clear water!

Side not: The impeller also makes a clicking noise every once in a while and then it stops after a couple of minutes. This doesn’t happen often but was unsure if it’s an underlying issue. Doesn’t seem like anything is stuck so just confused! Any advice on how to get this running properly?! Thank you all!

A638EB7E-61E6-47BE-B8DD-92E4335BBDF2.jpeg

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any experience with this skimmer, but the one thing that immediately comes to mind is water level. Raise it up some so that the wet skim is at or below the bottom of the collection cup. Cleaning it may have caused the micro bubbles, as well as any additive or prefilter pad change you may have done in conjunction with reinstalling the skimmer. Good luck!

OP
OP
NoMu Fish

NoMu Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any experience with this skimmer, but the one thing that immediately comes to mind is water level. Raise it up some so that the wet skim is at or below the bottom of the collection cup. Cleaning it may have caused the micro bubbles, as well as any additive or prefilter pad change you may have done in conjunction with reinstalling the skimmer. Good luck!
Thank you for the feedback! The water level is about 1.5-2 inches below where the cup connect to the body! Is this too close or should i raise it up out of the water more? Thanks for your time!

OP
OP
NoMu Fish

NoMu Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the air intake Venturi is partially plugged.
Are you getting same air flow as before.
Yes, it seems like nothing has changed with the airflow at all! Is there something specifically I could check for that?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it seems like nothing has changed with the airflow at all! Is there something specifically I could check for that?
Yup.
There should be a place where the air tube goes into the skimmer. Use a small drill (by hand) to clean that part.
Sometimes they only get “partially” block with CA deposits and if you blow through that part, air seems to flow, just not at the rate it once was.
Ensure the intake is fully clean, about every month or so.
In your post, all that changed was a cup cleaning, I agree with you, nothing should have changed.
Try that first.
The impeller should never stop. That’s a problem that needs to be addressed. I don’t find a correlation between impeller stopping and overflow.
Disassemble motor and check for damage, reassemble.
Can you turn down the water flow?

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 194 71.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back