Skimmer Q&A Thread

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another question, my reef octopus 150int came with a used setup I bought and the collection cup has a 2”? Hole in the side towards the top. Also the pump has seen better days. Does anyone know what should be in the side of this cup? Also is it worth replacing the cup and pump or should I just buy a new skimmer?
if the cup is scrapped due to the hole you can look here for a new cup: https://www.coralvue.com/collection-cups-protein-skimmers

kdmkdm69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there a time when a pump like the aquatrance should be replaced? Could I just buy a new cup and a new impeller and it function the same as new?(im assuming this used skimmer
Has been through it) the cost of those 2 together puts me close to the skimmer I’ve been looking at to replace it if need be(bubble magus curve5/7 haven’t really decided yet). I know the impeller needs replaced but just wondering if pumps get weak over time?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there a time when a pump like the aquatrance should be replaced? Could I just buy a new cup and a new impeller and it function the same as new?(im assuming this used skimmer
Has been through it) the cost of those 2 together puts me close to the skimmer I’ve been looking at to replace it if need be(bubble magus curve5/7 haven’t really decided yet). I know the impeller needs replaced but just wondering if pumps get weak over time?
aquatrance pumps are not reliable IME

the cups for the INT is like 70 bucks new so i would pull the trigger on a new Skimmer. the BM's work good just remember the basic curves come with budget SP Rock pumps which are not much better than aquatrance. they are pretty cheap to replace though and the body design on the BM's are good.

kdmkdm69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to get a new skimmer because this one takes up a ton of room with the external pump lol

Attachments

• IMG_0441.jpeg
    IMG_0441.jpeg
    163.1 KB · Views: 57

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to get a new skimmer because this one takes up a ton of room with the external pump lol
Yikes

you weren't kidding. now that's a hole

some sort of mod they must have been running. probably a 90 degree drain mod they ran to an external container

a bit of overkill if you ask me. you could just put some duct tape over it, trun it to the back and it wont cause any issues.

yu may want to look at the simplicity DC skimmers

kdmkdm69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since I got home from work I moved the skimmer from the middle chamber to the first chamber. It fills the whole thing up barely any room for my sock holder. I’ve decided that I don’t have a skimmer problem I have a sump problem lol
My sump measures 23.75x16”x18”tall
The first and second chambers are only 6.75” I just need more room lol

Attachments

• IMG_0444.jpeg
    IMG_0444.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 49

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since I got home from work I moved the skimmer from the middle chamber to the first chamber. It fills the whole thing up barely any room for my sock holder. I’ve decided that I don’t have a skimmer problem I have a sump problem lol
My sump measures 23.75x16”x18”tall
The first and second chambers are only 6.75” I just need more room lol

if the cup is scrapped due to the hole you can look here for a new cup: https://www.coralvue.com/collection-cups-protein-skimmers
oh boy, yep pretty tight

good job getting it in there though

some decent prices on sumps here: https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/filtration/refugium-sumps/sumps/

A1u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a skimmer for my new project. The main tank will be 700g, 95g sump and 30g for frags. All in all a system volume of 825g.

The tank will be a mixed reef with heavy focus in SPS. It will have a rather high fish stock.

I am looking for a skimmer that is silent, efficient, high performance and affordable.

So far I identified the following skimmers that are all rated for at least 800g.

- Bubble Magus BK11 (B12 is no longer produced)
- Aqua Medic Ocean Queen 300
- Nyos Quantum 300 (air production per watt is quite high, I am a little bit sceptical about the numbers)

What do you guys think about the above skimmers or do you have any other ideas?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a skimmer for my new project. The main tank will be 700g, 95g sump and 30g for frags. All in all a system volume of 825g.

The tank will be a mixed reef with heavy focus in SPS. It will have a rather high fish stock.

I am looking for a skimmer that is silent, efficient, high performance and affordable.

So far I identified the following skimmers that are all rated for at least 800g.

- Bubble Magus BK11 (B12 is no longer produced)
- Aqua Medic Ocean Queen 300
- Nyos Quantum 300 (air production per watt is quite high, I am a little bit sceptical about the numbers)

What do you guys think about the above skimmers or do you have any other ideas?
much bigger project than my knowledge set but sounds awesome.

i usually see becket/mazzie skimmers on big boys like that.

i would lean towards the ocean queen for the money. Lots of air and pretty darn quiet for a skimmer that size. only things that throw me off on those are the power wheel impeller they use (kind of like ATI powercone used-hard to clean!), and the dimples in the body. i guess thats to reduce turbulence but in a mixing chamber turbulence is usually welcomed except at the air/water line. There's some good German videos of that thing running and it looks quite impressive. You may want to go onto some of the monster tank threads and see what everyone else is running.

Last edited:

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my search brings me here. Advice on a new skimmer for my WB 35.2 aquarium. Currently using the tunze 9004 DC but in all honesty it's garbage IMHO. I was looking at the aquamaxx bullet 1.5 HOB but just looking at it I don't, if, possible want to turn my tank into a franken box. Any suggestions on a skimmer that can be a hob and not take away from the look of the aquarium. A DC controller skimmer would be ideal for me. Any constructive advice would be great.

Thanks

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's in dump so no it won't work.
limited options for DC.

maybe magtool DCs. designs look promising.
1699971734569.png

1699972038658.png

edit: Aquamaxx NF-1 may be an option for you too

Last edited:

boogiesnap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
limited options for DC.

maybe magtool DCs. designs look promising.
1699971734569.png

1699972038658.png
I’ve got one, it’s the straight body model, 90? I think? Same thing really. It works well. It’s very small. Pretty finicky. But does make decent skim. Definitely on the wet side. I’m looking at the IOAIO on Amazon. Wish the tunze had better performance reviews. :(

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya, hard to get a nano skimmer to pull the dark stuff unless you have a big bioload or feed heavily. there just isn't enough volume in the reaction chambers. wet is not bad though!

i actually had an old ATB Multi HOB running on a 120 and then later on a 28 gallon JBJ. skimmed well on the 120 but not so much on the 28 for obvious reasons. pulled hard on the 28 the first day, then light tea after that. Just too much skimmer LOL
1699986242546.png

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked BRS support but may as well go talk to the sheep in the field and have better luck.

I'm thinking the aquamaxx bullet 2 would not stick out like a sore thumb. It definitely fit but still weighing options as they're really limited.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if the tunze fit the ws-1 will too? I’m in same boat RN. Searching and not much to find.
Actually with me digging and digging I found more info on the aquamaxx bullet 2 and 3. Search out ARKA core hang on skimmer 300. Thats the bullet 3 and the bullet 2 is arka core hang on skimmer 150. I think for size I'll grab the aquamaxx bullet 2 as the spillway will definitely fit the 2nd chamber.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually with me digging and digging I found more info on the aquamaxx bullet 2 and 3. Search out ARKA core hang on skimmer 300. Thats the bullet 3 and the bullet 2 is arka core hang on skimmer 150. I think for size I'll grab the aquamaxx bullet 2 as the spillway will definitely fit the 2nd chamber.
report back if there are any issues. it will be fun to see it performing ;)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back