Skimmer Q&A Thread

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That certainly helps a lot with setup. Between not waiting long enough to dial the skimmer, and not noting the difference where the turbulent water and bubbles begin to separate, definitely kept me from making stable, and informed adjustments. My curve is definitely more stable then it was before, and I’m already getting a darker skimmate
Glad it's performing better!

Just let it run with no tweaks for a couple days. Then if you need to adjust further, do it in small single turns (up or down) and let it settle at least an hour (2hrs better) after each adjustment.

i learned that the hard way with my first few needle wheel skimmers because i would constantly adjust them before letting the adjustment stabilize. Many frustrating hours watching skimmers that produced nothing LOL

Yodaman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it's performing better!

Just let it run with no tweaks for a couple days. Then if you need to adjust further, do it in small single turns (up or down) and let it settle at least an hour (2hrs better) after each adjustment.

i learned that the hard way with my first few needle wheel skimmers because i would constantly adjust them before letting the adjustment stabilize. Many frustrating hours watching skimmers that produced nothing LOL
Even more good information on waiting to check it! I assumed immediately was a good time to decide if it was right

Cheezle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a Tunze DOC 9004 skimmer but its too big to fit into my Red Sea max nano peninsula. Now to figure out what will actually fit lol

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a Tunze DOC 9004 skimmer but its too big to fit into my Red Sea max nano peninsula. Now to figure out what will actually fit lol
not sure of your dimensions in the skimmer chamber but have you looked at the Aquamaxx WS-1
WS-1 is 4.9 wide by 3.9 deep by 11.4 tall

i would suggest a bullet skimmer but the AIO chamber wouldn't allow for the overflow slide

Last edited:

Cheezle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure of your dimensions in the skimmer chamber but have you looked at the Aquamaxx WS-1
WS-1 is 4.9 wide by 3.9 deep by 11.4 tall

i would suggest a bullet skimmer but the AIO chamber wouldn't allow for the overflow slide
Wish I could find my measure tape, just moved and haven't unpacked everything yet. It's pretty tight back there, I can fit a pack of cards back there without it moving. I'll take a look at the Aquamaxx skimmers, the WS-1 looks like it'll fit but won't know til I can measure up
PXL_20231010_191055406.jpg

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yikes, that's not deep at all. deck of cards is like 2.5 inch x 3.5

the tunze 9001 (newer model) should work but may be tight.

have you ever thought of the aquamaxx HOB 1.5?

it's much bigger but the way the inlet and outlets are super close you could actually run them in the tank instead of the AIO chamber and the bulk of the skimmer body would recess back towards the AIO chamber. MAy not be what you are looking for aesthetically though since it would be BLUE and outside.

Sorry, not a lot of good performer options out there for that size that i know of. Other may chime in!

reef glass makes a nice old school air stone skimmer you may want to look at that runs directly into a bottle of your choice.

Cheezle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yikes, that's not deep at all. deck of cards is like 2.5 inch x 3.5

the tunze 9001 (newer model) should work but may be tight.

have you ever thought of the aquamaxx HOB 1.5?

it's much bigger but the way the inlet and outlets are super close you could actually run them in the tank instead of the AIO chamber and the bulk of the skimmer body would recess back towards the AIO chamber. MAy not be what you are looking for aesthetically though since it would be BLUE and outside.

Sorry, not a lot of good performer options out there for that size that i know of. Other may chime in!

reef glass makes a nice old school air stone skimmer you may want to look at that runs directly into a bottle of your choice.
My snail owes you his life! I went to look at my sump and wouldn't have noticed this little guy if you hadn't responded so thanks!!
PXL_20231010_202009418.jpg

As for the skimmer, if I'm being honest I'd rather stay away from the HOB stuff. My tank didn't come with it but buying the skimmer it normally comes with might be my only option. I'm really curious to see if the Tunze 9001 or the WS-1 work but need to measure or find the measurements online first.

I wish there were a part compatibility site to use like there is for PC parts lol

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My snail owes you his life! I went to look at my sump and wouldn't have noticed this little guy if you hadn't responded so thanks!!
PXL_20231010_202009418.jpg

As for the skimmer, if I'm being honest I'd rather stay away from the HOB stuff. My tank didn't come with it but buying the skimmer it normally comes with might be my only option. I'm really curious to see if the Tunze 9001 or the WS-1 work but need to measure or find the measurements online first.

I wish there were a part compatibility site to use like there is for PC parts lol
i hear ya, NICE CATCH

I have a Turbo about 3 times the size of that one that has been with me for several years. I've had to pull mine off the outer glass probably 12 times over the years and she's still kickin'

maybe take a look at those reef glass skimmers too. They have some pretty solid reviews. old limestone counter current skimmers perform well. people complain about the maintenance but swapping an air stone isn't that bad. Just need a nice air pump and a bottle in the cabinet as a skim locker.

Pufferlover95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi skimmer folks!

I’ve never really done too much modification with my protein skimmers, typically always just did plug and play with my AC ones and always just kept the foam around the level of the neck. Never thought about “wet” or “dry” skimming.

As for background information, I’m referring to my new FOWLR 330g tank. Having fish like puffers and triggers means my tank produces a lot of waste, and I cannot have a cleanup crew because they will just get eaten in contribute to the waste (ironic, right?). Anyway, I struggle with high nutrients (mainly NO3) and the ugly algae that accompanies it. Even with carbon dosing (NOPOX), my NO3 stays in the 50s, so I’ve been starting to wonder if maybe I could make adjustments to equipment I already have and hopefully lower these numbers.

I have an AquaMaxx CO6 skimmer, the biggest they offer. For maximum nutrient removal, should I be tuning the adjustment valve so that the foam level is higher up in the collecting chamber, mainly in the cup, or should I be running it lower down where I have been running it, which is right at the neck where the cup disconnects? Also, correct me if I’m wrong since it’s not something I’ve ever really looked into before, but is running the foam higher up in the collecting chamber, so that it has a lighter color skimmate condisderd “wet” and running it lower down where it becomes thicker and darker considered “dry”?

If you read this far, thanks, give yourself a cookie!

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi skimmer folks!

I’ve never really done too much modification with my protein skimmers, typically always just did plug and play with my AC ones and always just kept the foam around the level of the neck. Never thought about “wet” or “dry” skimming.

As for background information, I’m referring to my new FOWLR 330g tank. Having fish like puffers and triggers means my tank produces a lot of waste, and I cannot have a cleanup crew because they will just get eaten in contribute to the waste (ironic, right?). Anyway, I struggle with high nutrients (mainly NO3) and the ugly algae that accompanies it. Even with carbon dosing (NOPOX), my NO3 stays in the 50s, so I’ve been starting to wonder if maybe I could make adjustments to equipment I already have and hopefully lower these numbers.

I have an AquaMaxx CO6 skimmer, the biggest they offer. For maximum nutrient removal, should I be tuning the adjustment valve so that the foam level is higher up in the collecting chamber, mainly in the cup, or should I be running it lower down where I have been running it, which is right at the neck where the cup disconnects? Also, correct me if I’m wrong since it’s not something I’ve ever really looked into before, but is running the foam higher up in the collecting chamber, so that it has a lighter color skimmate condisderd “wet” and running it lower down where it becomes thicker and darker considered “dry”?

If you read this far, thanks, give yourself a cookie!
higher = wetter which is what you would want with a FOWLR

have you considered an ATS or larger chaeto reactor to compliment your skimmer?

what size is your DT?

Pufferlover95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
higher = wetter which is what you would want with a FOWLR

have you considered an ATS or larger chaeto reactor to compliment your skimmer?

what size is your DT?
Ok, So I will start running it wetter and hopefully that should maximize my skimmer performance.

I am currently attempting a refugium, but it is going terribly. I have considered trying an ATS, but I need one that is internal so I don’t need to install separate plumbing and pumps, etc.

The DT is 250g, sump is approx 70g.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently attempting a refugium, but it is going terribly. I have considered trying an ATS, but I need one that is internal so I don’t need to install separate plumbing and pumps, etc.

Internal like sitting inside the sump or can it sit on top of the sump? I'm a big fan of Turbo Aquatics ATS and sits on top of the sump.

I'm also playing around with another brand that only has a presence on eBay right now it seems and has multiple mounting and in sump options. Prices right now are really good.

And here's mine I just got along with a Turbo.

Pufferlover95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Internal like sitting inside the sump or can it sit on top of the sump? I'm a big fan of Turbo Aquatics ATS and sits on top of the sump.

I'm also playing around with another brand that only has a presence on eBay right now it seems and has multiple mounting and in sump options. Prices right now are really good.

And here's mine I just got along with a Turbo.
I really don’t have the space or pluming knowledge to have something sit on top. I’m looking into the IceCap ones.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No major plumbing necessary. A tube from pump to scrubber and insert some pipes. I didn't glue those. The Turbo Aquatics (on right) I did have to do some gluing of the input to the pipe but the WSR eBay one (on left) I didn't have to glue anything. Can see more pics in my build thread I linked to and I guess badge link next to my profile pick
IMG_20231007_222550207.jpg

The WSR also has a hang on sump sump

And sit in sump

And hang on sump bracket for their normal ACS scrubber too

Pufferlover95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No major plumbing necessary. A tube from pump to scrubber and insert some pipes. I didn't glue those. The Turbo Aquatics (on right) I did have to do some gluing of the input to the pipe but the WSR eBay one (on left) I didn't have to glue anything. Can see more pics in my build thread I linked to and I guess badge link next to my profile pick
IMG_20231007_222550207.jpg

The WSR also has a hang on sump sump

And sit in sump

And hang on sump bracket for their normal ACS scrubber too
I ended up purchasing this one: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/algae-scrubber-pro-large-36-watt-icecap.html

Now that I’m looking at what you posted, it looks similar in style to the “sitting in sump” style. I really needed the simplicity of one unit that has everything connected and where I place it is where the water is going to enter and exit. Though I may have to look into these other ones if the one I ordered doesn’t live up to expectations.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up purchasing this one: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/algae-scrubber-pro-large-36-watt-icecap.html

Now that I’m looking at what you posted, it looks similar in style to the “sitting in sump” style. I really needed the simplicity of one unit that has everything connected and where I place it is where the water is going to enter and exit. Though I may have to look into these other ones if the one I ordered doesn’t live up to expectations.
Yeah I like the design of those ice caps too. What drew me to try out the WSR from eBay was the price. After getting the quad in hand it's built really well from what I can tell. Good bang for the buck.

I'm curious what wattage that ice cap actually is using with the supplied power supply.

I bought this to truly be adjustable with ease and push mine as much as I need. Just don't push it to much to soon. This should work with the ice cap too.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, So I will start running it wetter and hopefully that should maximize my skimmer performance.

The DT is 250g, sump is approx 70g.
they are really not that complicated to plumb

like the pics above, all the Turbos Aquatics ATS would need is a small rio or MJ1200 pump. The ATS sits over the sump (on rails they sell or you can make your own) and drains down back into sump. just need a little eheim, rio or mj1200 pump to connect to some vinyl tubing at the barb.

the chaeto reactors can just be plummed off an mj1200 or equivalent with some cheap vinyl tubing as well.

Super easy installs. If i can do it anyone can.

MarSch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer advice please
I have a 140G FOWLR tank, relatively lightly stocked. Looking for a good quality skimmer.
I currently have an AquaMaxx DFC-80 and want an upgrade.

The 3 skimmers I've short-listed are:
  • Bubble Magus Curve 9+
  • Red Sea RSK 300
  • Red Sea RSK 600 (one LFS has a special on these which actually makes them comparable in price to the other two... but it is a bit oversized for my tank, which I've heard is actually counter-productive)
Any suggestions/advice?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back