Skimmer Q&A Thread

smarie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I bought a used tank that came with an aquamaxx HOB 1.5 skimmer (it’s a 25g AIO tank). When I initially set it up, the skimmer worked (I think) for about a week, then stopped making micro bubbles. If I purge the airline, it seems to start working briefly then stop again.

Do I need to clean some part of it? Can anyone help me troubleshoot this? I am super new to skimmer ownership.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I bought a used tank that came with an aquamaxx HOB 1.5 skimmer (it’s a 25g AIO tank). When I initially set it up, the skimmer worked (I think) for about a week, then stopped making micro bubbles. If I purge the airline, it seems to start working briefly then stop again.

Do I need to clean some part of it? Can anyone help me troubleshoot this? I am super new to skimmer ownership.
take the venturi off where the airline attaches to the pump and clean that nipple where the airline attaches. it may need to be bottle brushed or you can use a thin piece of wood to scrape any deposits out. i use both bottle brush and i split chop sticks which works better for the harder buildup and doesn't scratch the inside of the nipple like a drill bit would.

try that and post back

smarie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
take the venturi off where the airline attaches to the pump and clean that nipple where the airline attaches. it may need to be bottle brushed or you can use a thin piece of wood to scrape any deposits out. i use both bottle brush and i split chop sticks which works better for the harder buildup and doesn't scratch the inside of the nipple like a drill bit would.

try that and post back
Am I supposed to be able to get the whole pump assembly out somehow? I can’t figure out how…that blue plate hits that white disc where the screw goes. (It was already assembled when I got it but it seems like I should be able to from the videos I’ve watched.

Attachments

• 5B2ACD7E-7E0D-4A23-850F-DBBFC352B193.jpeg
    5B2ACD7E-7E0D-4A23-850F-DBBFC352B193.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 53

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I supposed to be able to get the whole pump assembly out somehow? I can’t figure out how…that blue plate hits that white disc where the screw goes. (It was already assembled when I got it but it seems like I should be able to from the videos I’ve watched.
you should be able to unscrew the bubble plate assembly from the pump with those black nylon screws, then lift that part out so you can articulate the pump up and out. Then once you get the pump out the venturi nipple should be able to be accessed. that nipple should actually be able to be unscrewed from the venturi for cleaning. if not it may be and older 1.5 version.

here's a video of some assembly that you can reference for reverse disassembly

when you get the pump out, that's a good time to do a full cleaning. the volute where the pipe assembly attaches to the pump can be twisted off to access the impeller and magnet. I'd clean those up too.

good luck and report back

note edit!: after you get the bubble plate top off (with the cones) there should be a nut that secures the base of the BB plate to the pump. unscrew that as well

smarie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should be able to unscrew the bubble plate assembly from the pump with those black nylon screws, then lift that part out so you can articulate the pump up and out. Then once you get the pump out the venturi nipple should be able to be accessed. that nipple should actually be able to be unscrewed from the venturi for cleaning. if not it may be and older 1.5 version.

here's a video of some assembly that you can reference for reverse disassembly

when you get the pump out, that's a good time to do a full cleaning. the volute where the pipe assembly attaches to the pump can be twisted off to access the impeller and magnet. I'd clean those up too.

good luck and report back

note edit!: after you get the bubble plate top off (with the cones) there should be a nut that secures the base of the BB plate to the pump. unscrew that as well

Thank you!!! I followed your instructions, cleaned it up, and it’s working now. My clowns are very happy now. Thank you again for taking the time to write that and help. The written instructions combined with the video really helped.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!!! I followed your instructions, cleaned it up, and it’s working now. My clowns are very happy now. Thank you again for taking the time to write that and help. The written instructions combined with the video really helped.
glad that helped.

happy reefing!!!!!:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on setting up a BioCube 29 gallon, older setup. I want to run a skimmer in the middle back chamber.

I tried an AquaLife 115. Didn’t like it. The collection cup was tough to mount to the skimmer. The mounting brackets weren’t great for the application of where I wanted it. I used it for a day and skimmed real wet with not much adjustment. I understand that they require a break in period but conclusion is I am returning it.

I opted to try the ESHOPPS nano skimmer instead. I’ll follow up with my thoughts when I get it and install it.

Any users and thoughts on the ESHOPPS nano?

takoarm8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Vertex omega 200i. Skimmer is brand new. Bought it almost 10 years ago and out it away. Now I finally have my tank up and am trying to get this thing skimming.

Last skimmer I had was a Euro Reef so I’m a bit overwhelmed lol.

Turned the skimmer on and ran it 24 hours as instructed.

Went to the next step and the skimmer just runs super wet like overflowing like a waterfall wet.

Recommended height is 8” and I have it at 10” is that making all the difference?how do I get this thing to not push so much dang water?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Vertex omega 200i. Skimmer is brand new. Bought it almost 10 years ago and out it away. Now I finally have my tank up and am trying to get this thing skimming.

Last skimmer I had was a Euro Reef so I’m a bit overwhelmed lol.

Turned the skimmer on and ran it 24 hours as instructed.

Went to the next step and the skimmer just runs super wet like overflowing like a waterfall wet.

Recommended height is 8” and I have it at 10” is that making all the difference?how do I get this thing to not push so much dang water?
You def need to raise it up.. 7” would give you more flexibility and make it easier to adjust the skimming… use some egg crate, acrylic blocks, or if your sump has an adjustable baffle lower it down.. 10” deep creates a lot of head pressure and turbulence no matter what the manufacturer say on these things lol.

oxy71

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a simplicity skimmer, i need to raise my ph its very low so i added a co2 scrubber but when i connect the scrubber to where the silencer used to be my skimmer overflows. how do i fix this, thanks

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a simplicity skimmer, i need to raise my ph its very low so i added a co2 scrubber but when i connect the scrubber to where the silencer used to be my skimmer overflows. how do i fix this, thanks
Even with the drain wide open? If so what depth of water does it sit in?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a simplicity skimmer, i need to raise my ph its very low so i added a co2 scrubber but when i connect the scrubber to where the silencer used to be my skimmer overflows. how do i fix this, th

its normally 1/2 closed when the silencer is on. im in 7 inches
What does it do when you have the effluent wide open as Troylee mentioned?

Also what kind of soda lime are you using? did you tamp it down in the CO2 reactor? Just a thought but it may be too packed and is restricting air flow to the skimmer, thus raising the water level in the body and overflowing.

when i use mine i just pour it in without packing it and i haven't had any restrictions.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is your scrubber pulling air directly off the pump venturi or is it still going through your silencer? i see you wrote "where the silencer used to be" but i thought i would ask anyways

oxy71

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No packed, using BRS stuff. I did what the vid said, took line from venturi to silencer off and stuck the line from the scrubber there. yeah wide open it still spills. its a dc but it seems the air bubble quality adjustment is on the top of the silencer

Last edited:

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No packed, using BRS stuff. I did what the vid said, took line from venturi to silencer off and stuck the line from the scrubber there. yeah wide open it still spills. its a dc but it seems the air bubble quality adjustment is on the silencer.
Silly question but have you lowered the power level on the skimmer pump controller?

oxy71

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes fiddled with all that, i may have to place a valve on the other side of my co2 container, its the brs 39 dollar thing. i wonder if i put it all together right. i was getting good skimmate before. Ok two things, i put the line from scrubber on left instead of right, fixed that and now have pump on lowest setting and gate valve fully open. not overflowing but very wet.

Last edited:

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 49 29.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.9%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 18 10.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back