OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Allan, I'm curious if you have tried freezing the concoction? This is the Finnish version, AB+ on ice made of bacterial mix. I would see this quite convenient way, for example freezing the concoction in disposable ice cube plastic bags and just throwing a cube or two to tank when needed.

IMG_3539.jpeg
I believe freezing would kill the bacteria, or substantially hinder them.

Jari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe freezing would kill the bacteria, or substantially hinder them.
Is there any specific reason to keep the bacteria alive after making the concoction, if they in any case are going to be poured to the tank to be eaten by corals?

Reniva Ma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also this might be a stupid question but do you do for the dose the 1 use dose on the bottle or times it by the amount of days you’re making it for. So far I’ve been doing the former.

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also this might be a stupid question but do you do for the dose the 1 use dose on the bottle or times it by the amount of days you’re making it for. So far I’ve been doing the former.
The one time dose

Is there any specific reason to keep the bacteria alive after making the concoction, if they in any case are going to be poured to the tank to be eaten by corals?
Dead bacteria do not have the same effect as live bacteria. Perhaps you can try and let me know!

Jari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one time dose

Dead bacteria do not have the same effect as live bacteria. Perhaps you can try and let me know!
Sure, most likely I'll try the more long term storage route! It is more likely that the bacteria will be somewhat inactive in terms of multiplication after freezing, but killing all of them in regular household freezer is unlikely. Not planning to freeze them in liquid N2 or something silly like that :)

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sure, most likely I'll try the more long term storage route! It is more likely that the bacteria will be somewhat inactive in terms of multiplication after freezing, but killing all of them in regular household freezer is unlikely. Not planning to freeze them in liquid N2 or something silly like that :)
as long as you have room in your freezer it'll be fun to see!

Reniva Ma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More things I noticed on the concoction that I Forgot to mention:

Thicker skin on acropora. Originally this alarmed me as the skin was so puffy it made me think bacteria. But there was not discoloration so I believe this was positive.

Lower nutrients: this one makes sense as you’re probably dosing denitrifying bacteria in as well. Which is awesome because most coral foods raise nutrients and I really don’t like that. It’s lower my phos from .2 to .11 and my no3 from 38 to 24 so far. (Best thing since sliced bread :))

this is about 10 consecutive days on v2.

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
More things I noticed on the concoction that I Forgot to mention:

Thicker skin on acropora. Originally this alarmed me as the skin was so puffy it made me think bacteria. But there was not discoloration so I believe this was positive.

Lower nutrients: this one makes sense as you’re probably dosing denitrifying bacteria in as well. Which is awesome because most coral foods raise nutrients and I really don’t like that. It’s lower my phos from .2 to .11 and my no3 from 38 to 24 so far. (Best thing since sliced bread :))

this is about 10 consecutive days on v2.
Yup, thicker, plumper tissue is another common effect. Just remember to feed more in conjunction to prevent bottoming out.

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Allan mentioned, temperature matters. I did 2 different batches with one at 74F and one at 90F. The difference is huge. The batch at 90F had maybe 1000x the activity.

This will take further testing but the batch at 74F had a mix similar to my first ever batch with multiple bottled bacterias yet did not yield much more activity than you would find fresh out of a single bottle of bac.

The one at 90F had Aquaforest pro bio S and Prodibio Biodigest as the main bacterias added. The remaining ingredients consisted of a pinch of zeozym, calcium carbonate, coral sprint, min S, 1ml of aquavitro fuel, and a few drops of TM elimi NP. I am trying to make more a bacteria shot to fight dinos more than a feed but it worked regardless. Dino testing is still ongoing :(

I got a coffee mug warmer to keep the concoction to temperature. I used a coaster to try and keep it less than 100F and luckily it landed at 90F steady for 8 hours.
1710981986741_100.JPG

Here is what the results looked like under the scope:
74F

90F

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about a year ago I started losing torch corals one by one. I did an aquabiomics test and found pathogens. I did what most people are doing now and started using antibiotics. It was still a 50/50 chance I saved a torch after an antibiotic bath. I did a full tank treatment twice. One of the torches that I managed to save got sick again and died completely. A recent aquabiomics test showed I still have the same pathogens and after seeing that I pulled a hard stop on antibiotics and will not recommend it to anyone as I see it potentially causing more harm than good to your microbiome. After reading the links to the scientific articles in this thread, I really do think it is a nutritional issue at this point. Basically we have always had these pathogens and the corals just lived with them and fended them off naturally.

Now I have been monitoring closely the flesh on my torch corals and so far so good. It will still take a couple months to absolutely be sure but it does appear that the flesh is looking great. I have one banana HG that has very little flesh I am monitoring the most closely but it does seem to have gotten better with a small amount of more flesh. I will make some before and after shots on that one in about 2 months.

Here is a shot a took last night of some of the flesh on one of my torches. Bulbous right? :thinking-face: They also have a noticeable improvement in polyp extension the day after dosing Probidio Biodigest (not in concoction) almost the same as I noticed they reacted after the first day of dosing cipro.
IMG_0491.jpg

Baby_Shark

King of shark week!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Allan mentioned, temperature matters. I did 2 different batches with one at 74F and one at 90F. The difference is huge. The batch at 90F had maybe 1000x the activity.

This will take further testing but the batch at 74F had a mix similar to my first ever batch with multiple bottled bacterias yet did not yield much more activity than you would find fresh out of a single bottle of bac.

The one at 90F had Aquaforest pro bio S and Prodibio Biodigest as the main bacterias added. The remaining ingredients consisted of a pinch of zeozym, calcium carbonate, coral sprint, min S, 1ml of aquavitro fuel, and a few drops of TM elimi NP. I am trying to make more a bacteria shot to fight dinos more than a feed but it worked regardless. Dino testing is still ongoing :(

I got a coffee mug warmer to keep the concoction to temperature. I used a coaster to try and keep it less than 100F and luckily it landed at 90F steady for 8 hours.
1710981986741_100.JPG

Here is what the results looked like under the scope:
74F

90F

Whats the longest have you allowed the bacteria to culture? At 90 degrees i assume the bacteria eill be eating at a rapid rate and im womdering how long it would take for them to deplete the carbon source.

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the longest have you allowed the bacteria to culture? At 90 degrees i assume the bacteria eill be eating at a rapid rate and im womdering how long it would take for them to deplete the carbon source.

8 hours. Next batch I will only do 4 hours and check.

dwhanc00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run the AF probiotic method with ABEV and zeo stack for nutrient export. I started using this concoction yesterday. @Perry , I know you are quite familiar with AF, looking for suggestion on whether or not I should continue feeding the ABEV as directed or use that (which I did) only in the concoction and have the concoction replace everything with the AF Probiotic except the export of nutrients?

First reaction was pretty amazing with my torch and hammers... I have good polyp extension with my acros, but no growth... Checked parameters prior: PO4 .13; NO3 18. Little change (0.14) and NO3 same after a small dose. Did my routine water change yesterday. Did a second dose last night (larger) at lights out and PO4 was 0.14 and NO3 was 12.5 this AM (probably the water change at 20%). Excited to see how this works out.

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run the AF probiotic method with ABEV and zeo stack for nutrient export. I started using this concoction yesterday. @Perry , I know you are quite familiar with AF, looking for suggestion on whether or not I should continue feeding the ABEV as directed or use that (which I did) only in the concoction and have the concoction replace everything with the AF Probiotic except the export of nutrients?

First reaction was pretty amazing with my torch and hammers... I have good polyp extension with my acros, but no growth... Checked parameters prior: PO4 .13; NO3 18. Little change (0.14) and NO3 same after a small dose. Did my routine water change yesterday. Did a second dose last night (larger) at lights out and PO4 was 0.14 and NO3 was 12.5 this AM (probably the water change at 20%). Excited to see how this works out.

Respond on my journal, wouldn't want to detract from Alan's thread :)
I am happy to detail there.

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little confused on the sealed bottle version. Do I still add calcium carbonate up front and if so it settling is no longer an issue? I'm thinking of getting some Mason jars that i can boil to sterolize and maybe make several bottles at once. How long should I let them sit before putting them in the refrigerator? The more I think about this method the more it sounds like a fish poop recipe to me. No complaining, just an observation.

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 33 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back