Starting copper power on QT?

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added my fish to my qt tank (20L) after freshwater dipping yesterday and have just been observing. I wanted to get them eating and less stressed before medicating. When I do start copper dosing (copper power), can I add the initial dose to 1.0 ppm all in 1 shot and then split the remaining doses (2 per day) over the next few days to therapeutic level? Also should I add general cure or will that suppress appetites even more? I have 2 lyretails, 1 Randall’s, and a small Kole tang. They picked at some ROE today but I haven’t tried any frozen foods. I also picked up black worms from the LFS.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added my fish to my qt tank (20L) after freshwater dipping yesterday and have just been observing. I wanted to get them eating and less stressed before medicating. When I do start copper dosing (copper power), can I add the initial dose to 1.0 ppm all in 1 shot and then split the remaining doses (2 per day) over the next few days to therapeutic level? Also should I add general cure or will that suppress appetites even more? I have 2 lyretails, 1 Randall’s, and a small Kole tang. They picked at some ROE today but I haven’t tried any frozen foods. I also picked up black worms from the LFS.
You should be fine to dose it up to 1.0ppm and then ramp the west of the way to therapeutic as you mentioned.

I would not dose GC with copper unless you have bad flukes that need addressed during copper. With the FW dip likely it won't be an issue.

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine to dose it up to 1.0ppm and then ramp the west of the way to therapeutic as you mentioned.

I would not dose GC with copper unless you have bad flukes that need addressed during copper. With the FW dip likely it won't be an issue.
I dipped the fish using clear specimen containers and did not see any sesame seed looking things floating around after. I dipped for 5 minutes on all of the fish. What about mixing the G.C. with food? I picked up a bunch of meds prior to starting this quarantine (my first time) as well just in case.

Medications on hand:
Metroplex
Kanaplex
General cure
Furan-2
Focus
Prazipro
Methylene blue
Ruby Reef Rally

Hopefully I’m covered if anything comes up!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dipped the fish using clear specimen containers and did not see any sesame seed looking things floating around after. I dipped for 5 minutes on all of the fish. What about mixing the G.C. with food? I picked up a bunch of meds prior to starting this quarantine (my first time) as well just in case.

Medications on hand:
Metroplex
Kanaplex
General cure
Furan-2
Focus
Prazipro
Methylene blue
Tube Reef Rally

Hopefully I’m covered if anything comes up!
Yes you are covered on meds. I do start feeding GC soaked food right away. Just not dosing in the water unless there is an immediate need. I use Prazipro prophylactically post copper treatment.

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you are covered on meds. I do start feeding GC soaked food right away. Just not dosing in the water unless there is an immediate need. I use Prazipro prophylactically post copper treatment.
Ok great! I’ve read a bunch of your posts on here. Lots of good information. I appreciate the help!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question. The actual timer doesn’t start for copper until you reach the therapeutic level correct? I only have one tank so I’ll be doing 30 days.
Correct, you start the 30 day clock once you have reached your therapeutic target.

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, you start the 30 day clock once you have reached your therapeutic target.
One of my anthias is breathing heavily and not eating I might have to add some meds? Any suggestions to go with copper?

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too late. She died! Had some white stringy poop coming from her as well. Concerned about the other fish in QT. Should I dose anything as a precaution now?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding the medicated food is what will address intestinal parasites. White stringy poop is a symptom of internal parasites.

Sorry to hear about the loss :(

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding the medicated food is what will address intestinal parasites. White stringy poop is a symptom of internal parasites.

Sorry to hear about the loss :(
Thanks, I can’t believe how fast that happened. That makes 5 of 6 LA fish dead within 2 days. So I have 1 Randall’s anthias from LA left. Yesterday I bought a kole tang and a lyretail from my LFS. They look promising. I’m mixing PE mysis with calanus and another frozen cube. I guess I’ll ad the GC and focus to that and try feeding. Only been picking at calanus and ROE. Bought some black worms but they weren’t interested in those either. Might go buy another lyretail from my LFS tomorrow before reaching therapeutic levels.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were the LA fish all anthias?

Anthias are very succeptable to intestinal parasites as well as Uronema. So I do dose the water with metronidazole upon arrival when dealing with anthias or chromis. I do so for 10 days. Even during copper.

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Anthias are very succeptable to intestinal parasites as well as Uronema. So I do dose the water with metronidazole upon arrival when dealing with anthias or chromis. I do so for 10 days. Even during copper.
4 Randall’s anthias and 2 lyretails. Only 1 Randall’s is left

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can I dose metro to the water column even while I’m feeding GC combined with focus in their food? Also I wanted to replace the lyretail that died since the LFS has them in stock. Will I be able to add 1 tomorrow even though I’ve started copper and with metro in the water?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I dose metro to the water column even while I’m feeding GC combined with focus in their food? Also I wanted to replace the lyretail that died since the LFS has them in stock. Will I be able to add 1 tomorrow even though I’ve started copper and with metro in the water?
Yes dosing the water and feeding at the same time is not an issue.

Adding the fish tomorrow also shouldn't be any problem.

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t say on the package but should there be water changes when dosing metroplex? I apologize for all my questions and appreciate your continued help!

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes dosing the water and feeding at the same time is not an issue.

Adding the fish tomorrow also shouldn't be any problem.
It doesn’t say on the package but should there be water changes when dosing metroplex? I apologize for all my questions and appreciate your continued help!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, glad to help.

Metro degrades so quickly it does not require any WCs between doses. :)

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to do a Ruby Reef Rally dip on the new lyretail and I just noticed this red blotch on her. Any ideas?

1D9B5BEB-9803-40E7-92D5-B0784C5614B3.jpeg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 54 34.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 20.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back