OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little concerned with the 50g pnp system. First I live on a dirt road with a gravel driveway. Not sure a truck could get close enough to deliver it with even a lift gate. One review saying they got zero directions and lack of help on how to plumb the tank.

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have idea idea electrically how much it would run about to run a tank of this size per month?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With LED lighting it shouldn't be too bad

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With LED lighting it shouldn't be too bad
Just trying to get a ballpark idea, I share a house and have to give my friend money to help cover the power cost. Seems like they can not ship the SCA 50 gal PNP because the freight cant deliver to where I live.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure of the actual numbers. As far as freight goes can you have it shipped to a local distribution center and pick it up there? Or if you have a LFS see if you can have it shipped there. Most of the time they are just looking to get more customers anyway and don't charge.

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure of the actual numbers. As far as freight goes can you have it shipped to a local distribution center and pick it up there? Or if you have a LFS see if you can have it shipped there. Most of the time they are just looking to get more customers anyway and don't charge.
Can cross that bridge when I come to it, Would have to see if I can get a friend with a pickup to try to help me to get it from the docks to my house.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No turning back now. You're doomed like the rest of us

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A while ago you mentioned a chinese light for the tank. Care to share where I might find that? SCA has lights but they are far from cheap.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights are one of the big ticket items in the hobby for sure. You can get black box lights like mars aqua or viparspectra for cheap. Around 100 per light. Watch the brstv investigate black boxes on YouTube to get a better understanding before purchase.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any light will have the coverage in the description. As well as an idea of how it is mounted

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
, I joined the SCA aquarium group and asked about a light and this was one someone with a 66g uses.

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered two 7 gallon water containers today. So I can start to make a store at least 14 gallons of RODI water. At least it will be a start to make enough water for the tank once I get it and setup.

What do you use to hold the water when you mix it with the sea salt? I know will need something to put the water in. Recommend some cheap power head for mixing and a cheap heater to get the water to temp. Of course when I first build and fill I wont really have to worry about the water going in cold.

Recomend a type of salt mix that works best?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered two 7 gallon water containers today. So I can start to make a store at least 14 gallons of RODI water. At least it will be a start to make enough water for the tank once I get it and setup.

What do you use to hold the water when you mix it with the sea salt? I know will need something to put the water in. Recommend some cheap power head for mixing and a cheap heater to get the water to temp. Of course when I first build and fill I wont really have to worry about the water going in cold.

Recomend a type of salt mix that works best?
I don't store any RODI except what I have in a 5 gallon bucket for top off.
For mixing I use a 40 something gallon brute garbage can. They are best because of being food grade material.

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't store any RODI except what I have in a 5 gallon bucket for top off.
For mixing I use a 40 something gallon brute garbage can. They are best because of being food grade material.
Only reason I would store any is so when I get the tank I have some to start off with. The RODI system I have is very slow and for 50 gallons I think will take a few days to get that much water.

Cheapest power head to use for mixing? What salt mix do you use? Best enzymes to use for cycling saltwater?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only reason I would store any is so when I get the tank I have some to start off with. The RODI system I have is very slow and for 50 gallons I think will take a few days to get that much water.

Cheapest power head to use for mixing? What salt mix do you use? Best enzymes to use for cycling saltwater?
I purchased 3 eheim jager heaters and 3 jebao wavemakers. 2 of each are in my DT, 1 of each I use for making saltwater. I only use the 1 heater in the DT but I have the extra for just in case of failure of the other. Salt I started with instant ocean and now use red sea coral pro. All of the salts work, all have their pros and cons. Everyone uses something different and swears by it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back