OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
, Something like this for mixing salt. Will I need one in the DT? Not sure with the type of coral I will probably get.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the ow-10s in mine. Nice having 2 for back and forth

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops. I don't use a jebao for mixing. That I just use a cheap one from my LFS

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops. I don't use a jebao for mixing. That I just use a cheap one from my LFS
What brand and model is the cheap one? Cheapest I see in Jabao is like 50 dollars. If I do not need to use one in the DT might as well get a cheapo

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll need 1 if not 2 wavemakers in your display tank. For mixing salt you just need any cheap WaveMaker, doesn't have to be jebao. As far as transferring water I just use my trusty ace hardware 5 gallon buckets and cardio

jramy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont know if they were mentioned and I have no experience with them the the red sea max nano is another AIO that has ATO and skimmer, although it is not a huge reservoir. Super pricey but honestly I prob spen that much or more doing waterbox, a stand and all the gear before it even got wet. LOL following along as another AIO dude

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont know if they were mentioned and I have no experience with them the the red sea max nano is another AIO that has ATO and skimmer, although it is not a huge reservoir. Super pricey but honestly I prob spen that much or more doing waterbox, a stand and all the gear before it even got wet. LOL following along as another AIO dude
I will end up getting a SCA 50 Gallon PNP instead of a AIO. Just a little over 200 more for their PNP 50gallon over just the tank and then it comes with a cabinet, Sump, Protein filter and all.

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also going to save money on sand, Found out can use Pool filter sand for the tank. 20 dollars for 50 lbs of sand is better then 18 to 29 for a 20 lb bag depending on where you get it from. Also for a ATO tank going to end up using one of those cheap temp plastic tanks that petco sells for about 15 dollars.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful. Could be loaded with silicates or who knows what. Do your research. There's a reason they sell aquarium sand for more. Not saying you're wrong.

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful. Could be loaded with silicates or who knows what. Do your research. There's a reason they sell aquarium sand for more. Not saying you're wrong.
True might just go with the sand from petco. Seems like I can find it there for 18 a bag. Still debating on with the pnp system the MDF cabinet or the wood one. The wood one will run an extra 180 dollars.

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see people posting all the time getting things like Dino's and such. When starting up a new tank how is the best way to avoid nasty things like that?

58e970b2-3f88-4897-87ba-5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True might just go with the sand from petco. Seems like I can find it there for 18 a bag. Still debating on with the pnp system the MDF cabinet or the wood one. The wood one will run an extra 180 dollars.
Look into rinsing your sand before you add it. Its amazing how cloudy fresh sand can make your tank (and how long it takes to settle).

58e970b2-3f88-4897-87ba-5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see people posting all the time getting things like Dino's and such. When starting up a new tank how is the best way to avoid nasty things like that?
Go slow and don’t put anything / anyone valuable in your tank to start. Wait a couple months for the bacteria and algae in your tank to get settled and sort out where they all live.

I recently tried “cheating” this step. Tried starting with no lights to avoid ugly algae outbreaks. Added too many life forms and ended up with a huge bacterial bloom (looked like cob webs from a bad haunted house everywhere).
I got started too fast and was feeding too much to keep all the mouths happy. It’s been a huge headache for me and my wallet so far.

I can’t tell you how to avoid it, but I know if I just went slower things would be a lot easier. Maybe start with one or two fish while waiting out the uglies. That will keep things manageable (coral seem to be the hard ones to keep alive at the start).

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ugly phase can be managed but not eliminated. Algae is natural and going to grow no matter what. Coraline which everyone wants, is the tortoise in the race. Everything else is the hare. Water changes, refugium, skimmer, turf scrubbers all help but won't prevent it from happening.

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I see, I plan on starting slow. Let the tank cycle and then start the refugium, Guessing some of the first live things to go in should be a small clean up crew to be able to eat the algae?

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay any good guides or video guides on cycling with dry rock. Setting up a tank with a sump and setting up a refugium?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beginners forum on here has some guides on it.

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
, Found this seems like you can mostly prevent it but seems most people rush too fast and end up with uglies.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back