Votes: 14 77.8%

• Total voters

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to stick to my idea becsuse I’ve gotten some pretty good feedback from it and my friend here said that if I used lots of LR (I’m using lots of lr and other things to make hides) I should be okay with the stock

Does your friend keep wrasses? If you don't mind I'll post some links written by one of the foremost wrasse experts. He spoke at MACNA either last year or the year before.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Designer and cb ocellaris and percula clowns are disgusting beause they are overly bred.
It seems when you ask questions, you don't actually care about the answer.

What makes you so sure that all clownfish breeders area line breeding their broodstock?

There are a lot of people here with double your age in experience. Maybe listen and read for a bit.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s just a list of wrasses and their behavior it dosent say anything about tank size except for mixing subgroups and fish of same complex

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the left it the guide to tank sizes with the letters

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210505-221406_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210505-221406_Chrome.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20210505-221416_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210505-221416_Chrome.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 21

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the lfs there just temporary holding tanks basically ( temporary homes) till someone buys them

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might just do a school of 3 basslets instead of 1 basslet because they are social and I usually say if they can be solo or in schools do in schools

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They wrasses you mention are probably on tje list but the latin names of the fish are used more than likely.but unsure on the proper terminology/ names of most fish really so im no help there sorry

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why isn’t the possum or flashers on that

Because that particular chart is about fairy wrasses only.

I can assure you that all the experts on fairy and flasher wrasses recommend a bigger tank than yours. The author of those articles actually spoke about that some at MACNA as I recall. I've also heard him say exactly that many times. And......it's been my experience keeping Cirrhilabrus, Paracheilinus, Macropharyngodon and Halichoeres wrasses for the past 10 years.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna stick to melanaurus or coris depending what my lfs has. If the melanurus grows I can return
This is an cruel and unethical mindset to have. Fish aren’t inanimate objects that you can just dispose of when you get tired of them or their care becomes too expensive or inconvenient. Many fish have long lives, extensive and expensive care requirements, and require adequate size tanks. If you’re not willing or able to provide those care requirements long term (and/or have contingency plans for when they outgrow the tank or you’re unable to care for them), then don’t get the fish. And LFS aren’t a rental service, you shouldn’t be buying fish with the intention of bringing them back to the lfs in a year or two (or less).

What you want or like is secondary to what the fish needs to be healthy and happy. In reading through all of your threads it really seems like the well-being of your fish is a secondary or tertiary concern for you, behind what you think looks cool and how much an adequate tank will cost. Less expensive reef tanks are possible, but there’s no such thing as an inexpensive reef tank, and if you’re going with less expensive, your stocking has to reflect that (ie keeping fish and corals that will thrive despite the lack of better equipment or a larger tank). Given your absurd ideas about aquacultured corals and fish (you say they’re unhealthy, even though the opposite is true, aquacultured corals and fish objectively have better survival rates in captivity), you’d think that the health of your fish and corals would be the top priority. Sadly, it doesn’t seem like that is the case.

Look, I can empathize with being your age and being excited about starting your first marine tank, but you’re aiming way, way above your experience level. And if it seemed like you were really on top of the care requirements for the fish you want to keep, it might make sense, but that doesn’t seem to be where your head is at. You’re going to end up flushing a bunch of money (and fish) down the toilet if don’t reassess your goals and your priorities in this hobby. We all want you to succeed, but you kind of seem determined not to.

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren’t clingfish expert only as well? Honestly you could probably post 100 tanks on here with appropriate stock but as soon as op sees a 20 gallon with a flasher wrasse in it they think it is ok...
I think this is like the 4th thread op has made in 2 days and that has gotten 10+ pages of responses lol.
Possum wrasses are great but the one I got was $75 probably out of ops price range.

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.7%
Back