Strange Snail-Like Creature on Glass

737flyer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have an idea what this might be? It almost looks kind of snail-like but it has little hairs coming off the side and the shell is definitely not something I put in my tank. The "snail" also isn't inside it, but it's definitely somehow attached. If you blow the pic up, there's a lot going on in there. Thank you!

Creature.jpg

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like that, but I don’t believe that a snail can live without its shell. You got me:confused-face:!

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks just like what I extract from a periwinkle shell before I cook it. Very odd.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trochus snail out of shell

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Does anyone have an idea what this might be? It almost looks kind of snail-like but it has little hairs coming off the side and the shell is definitely not something I put in my tank. The "snail" also isn't inside it, but it's definitely somehow attached. If you blow the pic up, there's a lot going on in there. Thank you!

Creature.jpg
I wonder if this is a vermetid attached to a shell this snail adopted or retreated from?
Im curious to see the top of the shell which may be that of a dove snail or astrea

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is too much for me to make out anything.
@ISpeakForTheSeas might be able to help!
I'm wondering if it could be one of my big snails & it lost its shell?
It does look like that, but I don’t believe that a snail can live without its shell. You got me:confused-face:!
Yeah, that's definitely a snail out of its shell, and yes, it's going to die shortly.
It's referred to as Mantle Collapse; the only reasons I've heard for snails dropping their shells are disease (illness, parasites, etc.), injury, and possibly somethings like toxins or environmental conditions - in almost every case I've heard of, the shell dropping off is an indication that the snail is going to die soon.

That said, I have heard that Mantle Collapse can be healed with land snails (though this is highly disputed, as people dispute if these cases were truly Mantle Collapse, or if they were cases of Mantle Tears or Puffy Mantles), but I've never heard of it being healed with aquatic snails.

The cases that I've heard of recoveries with:

Edit: Looks like the FB link failed, but here's the info of the article:
"MANTLE COLLAPSE IN SNAILS

GEORGE SEBASTIAN NEUFELD·SATURDAY, JULY 22, 2017·"

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 76 71.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.8%
Back