0   0   0
small update

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Roy, your Reef is maturing very well "Looking Good" and going to be a real 'Jaw Dropper' in another year or so when all those Acro colonies have grown nearly to the surface. I know some local peeps are heading down your way soon and sounds like a great trip. I may have to make that trip myself one day, would love to check this out in person.

Cheers, Todd

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great job man!

OP
OP
stylaster

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be happy to have you come check out the tank Todd. Thanks Rev!

cobraz

Zoo Hunter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
woohoo main pump check valve came in :) 90% of plumbing now done.

IMAG0371_zps9d992f9d.jpg

I saw this check valve and brought back nightmares - I just want to share...
I had this exact check valve for a couple of years - cleaned it regularly then one day:
We were on vacation and there was a very bad storm and power was out on the East coast - we left and decided to drive home early that night. It was the last night of our vacation and I was worried the tank might be getting cold.
Well I walking into our raised ranch to find 110 gallons of my 125 gallon tank on the floor of den... 1" or so of water just sitting through the rug and pad.
The tank had 1" of water left in it and my tang was swimming side ways.

The valve through calcium use had stuck in an up position and the tank drained over the sump... yes part my fault - never put a break siphon on the pipe by drilling a hole.. that's another story. (It was of those crazy ideas of pushing water from the bottom of the tank up ... so all water would rise and drain over - so my intake pipes were on the bottom of the tank behind rocks... it was cool while it lasted).

Any ways back to the story - lost some coral - all fish survived.
My wallet cost me a new rug and pad - some painting and allot of "yes dear" and "it wont happen again"...LOL

Just don't trust that check valve... to be more than a cool piece of plastic until it fails.. IMO

Last edited:
OP
OP
stylaster

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool thanks for the heads up. The main tank thankfully would only lose about 3" of water out of it if the check valve failed. I believe in redundency and this check valve is part of it, along with siphon breaks. If both fail the water will overflow the sump which is in the garage :)

OP
OP
stylaster

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys, its at the stage where i can just sit back and watch it grow!

Salty_Box_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks awesome man. I was wondering since you've been running the lights a bit now and seeing growth trends, do you notice any corals growing towards or away from the kessil? I would assume the kessil only covers a small portion of the center of the tank, so Im wondering if you could see some things liking or disliking the kessil compared to the radions? Reason I ask is cause Im currently running two a350's in addition to two T5 bulbs over my 60g, and had kicked around the idea of replacing both with one of the new G3's. Mostly just for controllability though as I love the look of the kessils and the growth, color etc is fine.

OP
OP
stylaster

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks awesome man. I was wondering since you've been running the lights a bit now and seeing growth trends, do you notice any corals growing towards or away from the kessil? I would assume the kessil only covers a small portion of the center of the tank, so Im wondering if you could see some things liking or disliking the kessil compared to the radions? Reason I ask is cause Im currently running two a350's in addition to two T5 bulbs over my 60g, and had kicked around the idea of replacing both with one of the new G3's. Mostly just for controllability though as I love the look of the kessils and the growth, color etc is fine.

What i have directly under the kessil is an ora red planet, bali green slimer, green slimer with blue tips and a sour apple birdsnest. The two slimer acros are growing straight up to the lights. THe red planet is tabling and hasnt shown much upward growth. The birdsnest is also doing more of a horizontal growth form

OP
OP
stylaster

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some top down shots from the cell phone when i had the pumps off

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great job!!

OP
OP
stylaster

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what heaters do you guys use for your large tank? Right now i have two 300w ebo jagers but they didnt cut it in this cold weather. Any suggestions?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back