Sump randomly overflowing.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I just (sunday) upgraded my leaking 80gal aio to a 90gal with a sump.
The tank was running really loud making gurgling noises etc...
So yesterday I decided to adjust my Maggie mufflers to make it wuiter along with slowing down my return pump.
I noticed a small amount of water on the ground around my sump. But I did not think anything of it.
Then today I came home and I noticed that the towels I had set there were wet on the bottom.
So I started looking and I then saw where the water floods down overflow for a quick second. Like pop up really fast then dip back down.
That's when I connected the dots that last night even though the tank was quieter its still not as quiet as I would like it. I could hear the occasional rushing of water but didn't think much of it other than it was slightly annoying.
So does anyone know how to make it quieter and stop the water from flooding out?

20231024_201059.jpg

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to put a flow valve on it, to slow the water down coming into the sump.
When you slowed the return pump down you slowed down the water being removed from the sump so it over flowed. If you hear water rushing down the pipe into the sump it’s not fully siphoning. Air is still in it or the pipe entering the sump is to high above water level.

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to put a flow valve on it, to slow the water down coming into the sump.
When you slowed the return pump down you slowed down the water being removed from the sump so it over flowed. If you hear water rushing down the pipe into the sump it’s not fully siphoning. Air is still in it or the pipe entering the sump is to high above water level.
I thought you didn't want a siphon?
Just a laminar flow. I don't know how I would get a siphon with the drain I have.

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd put a gate valve on your overflow pipe and not run the pipe so far under the surface in that chamber. That will allow the air to escape the pipes and stop the gurgle and be able to control how much flow gets to the sump. Odd that it doesn't look like all your water is going to your socks, is your sump level?

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd put a gate valve on your overflow pipe and not run the pipe so far under the surface in that chamber. That will allow the air to escape the pipes and stop the gurgle and be able to control how much flow gets to the sump. Odd that it doesn't look like all your water is going to your socks, is your sump level?
Yes it's level. I made shure the stuff was level for this tank(a mistake I made on the last one)
Most of the water drains into the first sock. There's a small gap in between the little walls and the acual plate that holds the socks.

Also I didn't make the pipe desighn or anything it all came from my lfs. I just put it back together when I got the tank.

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it's level. I made shure the stuff was level for this tank(a mistake I made on the last one)
Most of the water drains into the first sock. There's a small gap in between the little walls and the acual plate that holds the socks.

Also I didn't make the pipe desighn or anything it all came from my lfs. I just put it back together when I got the tank.
Just get a smaller water pump place under the opening of the pipe in the display tank and it will create a full siphon. After that you can remove the small water pump. Put the control valve on the pipe before doing this. I have two on mine. One under in the sump area and another at the top where it comes out of the display tank.

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok just making sure I've seen some weird stuff lol. Yeah wouldn't take but a 5 or 10 mins to cut the pvc and glue a ball valve or gate valve into your overflow pipe. Make sure to use primer! Wouldn't be a bad idea to get another union to make taking it apart and easier to clean. Ive never herd of a maggie muffler

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2. Both with Maggie mufflers on them.
Ok. You need to set up a Herbie drain. Take off the Maggies and put them in the trash. Your smaller drain pipe (if they're not the same size) will be your full siphon and needs to be a few inches lower than the overflow weir. This full siphon needs to have a gate valve installed. The other pipe will be your emergency drain and should be slightly taller than the bottom of the weir, so that the overflow box fills up just short of the top of the pipe. You use the gate valve to adjust the height of the water in the overflow box.

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Do you need to set up a Herbie drain. Take off the Maggie's and put them in the trash. Your smaller drain pipe (if they're not the same size) will be your full siphon and needs to be a few inches lower than the overflow weir. This full siphon needs to have a gate valve installed. The other pipe will be your emergency drain and should be slightly taller than the bottom of the weir, so that the overflow box fills up just short of the top of the pipe. You use the gate valve to adjust the height of the water in the overflow box.
They are the same size. I kinda have them set to diffrent Heights alrety.
All my pipes are alrety glued but I didn't glue the kne pipe that drops down into the sump for the drain. So I can put a valve there. I'll try to find time to do it.

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One is higher and one is lower. The issue is I can't really take out my drain pipes to cut them as they are glued in to the pipes that run to the sump.

Attachments

• 20231024_205942.jpg
    20231024_205942.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 37
  • 20231024_205935.jpg
    20231024_205935.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 38

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One is higher and one is lower. The issue is I can't really take out my drain pipes to cut them as they are glued in to the pipes that run to the sump.
To do this right, you may need to scrap the existing bulkheads and pipe and start over. I'll be happy to walk you through things... So you glued the pipe that's inside the overflow box to the top of the bulkhead??

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To do this right, you may need to scrap the existing bulkheads and pipe and start over. I'll be happy to walk you through things... So you glued the pipe that's inside the overflow box to the top of the bulkhead?
No.. I think you can see the glue on the left one but I stuck the pipe in the drain pipe threaded part.(how I was showed to do it at the lfs) then glued it. I had my dad helping me for the piping since he was there helping with the tank and he said he thinks we need to glue it. I also read here that you should glue your pipes so I did.

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably just cut the pipe down by your sump and put in a gate valve and call it a day. Worth a shot before scrapping the whole setup, and if you use unions you won't have to worry about getting another gate valve if you decide to scrap and redo your overflow setup

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably just cut the pipe down by your sump and put in a gate valve and call it a day. Worth a shot before scrapping the whole setup, and if you use unions you won't have to worry about getting another gate valve if you decide to scrap and redo your overflow setup
I'll probobly do that. I might go to the lfs sometime and see what they did for theirs. The 2 tanks are the exact same expet its a 180. So instead of 4 feet it's 6 feet. But everything else is the same.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back