Sump randomly overflowing.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to glue everything.

I know I'll be embarrassed about this when I look at it tomorrow, but this is what I recommend.. sorry so messy. (And not sure why it's sideways!)

PXL_20231025_021043023.jpg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No.. I think you can see the glue on the left one but I stuck the pipe in the drain pipe threaded part.(how I was showed to do it at the lfs) then glued it. I had my dad helping me for the piping since he was there helping with the tank and he said he thinks we need to glue it. I also read here that you should glue your pipes so I did.
Ok. Well what's done is done, and I agree, if you can keep from redoing the whole thing, that's best. But please don't hesitate to reach out if you want some input before going forward. There are definite advantages to NOT gluing every connection.

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to glue everything.

I know I'll be embarrassed about this when I look at it tomorrow, but this is what I recommend.. sorry so messy. (And not sure why it's sideways!)

PXL_20231025_021043023.jpg
It gets the point across for sure, that's exactly how I did mine. At least you can read your hand writing, I could be a doctors doctor.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It gets the point across for sure, that's exactly how I did mine. At least you can read your hand writing, I could be a doctors doctor.
That was my second try... The first was completely illegible!

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and if you do use threaded plumbing, this is what you need on the threads (this was the tru value version of RectorSeal). Never use Teflon tape!
:]
My return lines may or may not be threaded. And I may or may not have forgotten to put stuff on them before I glued the pipes to them. And it may or MAY NOT have started leaking. So there MAY OR MAY NOT be a bit of glue on the outside of them.

:/

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:]
My return lines may or may not be threaded. And I may or may not have forgotten to put stuff on them before I glued the pipes to them. And it may or MAY NOT have started leaking. So there MAY OR MAY NOT be a bit of glue on the outside of them.

:/
Ok, first rule -- you don't glue a threaded fitting.

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, first rule -- you don't glue a threaded fitting.
At least it's on the outside. And it's not permanent glue. I could go peel it off of I wanted. But it slowed it down to a drip so I'm good till I can fix it.

I'll probobly do that when I do the vaulve.

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second rule -- if you've already glued something (whether you should have or not), if it's leaking, you're fine with trying to use more glue to seal the leak, but it's about 50/50 if it will work.
It 80% worked. It just all dripped back into the sump so I dont really care.

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the main drawback of that is the long term salt creep... Although salt creep has plugged quite a few leaks :cool:
It did that on my leaky tank.
Even though this tank is a bazillion times louder I like it more. I have alot more room for corals and I cam probibly get 1 or 2 more fish.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea and if the front glass comes of like some red sea tanks have done ill get pretty wet along with my cat. That tank is only 3 feet from the foot of my bed.
If a Planet tank ever comes apart like a Red Sea, I'll be amazed! Those guys build them right

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 121 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%

Back