Sump randomly overflowing.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you didn't want a siphon?
Just a laminar flow. I don't know how I would get a siphon with the drain I have.
If your overflow has two drains, you want one as the full siphon and the other is the emergency. If you don't have an emergency drain, you do not want to limit flow intonthe sump as any clogging could result in the tank overflowing.

Do you have anuthing the water moves through after entering the sump. Like socks or floss? Those could be clogged.

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your overflow has two drains, you want one as the full siphon and the other is the emergency. If you don't have an emergency drain, you do not want to limit flow intonthe sump as any clogging could result in the tank overflowing.

Do you have anuthing the water moves through after entering the sump. Like socks or floss? Those could be clogged.
The socks are too clean for it to be clogged enough.

Ok, bedtime
Yay!!

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I just (sunday) upgraded my leaking 80gal aio to a 90gal with a sump.
The tank was running really loud making gurgling noises etc...
So yesterday I decided to adjust my Maggie mufflers to make it wuiter along with slowing down my return pump.
I noticed a small amount of water on the ground around my sump. But I did not think anything of it.
Then today I came home and I noticed that the towels I had set there were wet on the bottom.
So I started looking and I then saw where the water floods down overflow for a quick second. Like pop up really fast then dip back down.
That's when I connected the dots that last night even though the tank was quieter its still not as quiet as I would like it. I could hear the occasional rushing of water but didn't think much of it other than it was slightly annoying.
So does anyone know how to make it quieter and stop the water from flooding out?

20231024_201059.jpg
I’m actually having the opposite problem. My sump keeps dropping too low with wide open valve. I think an obstruction has built up in my plumbing and need ideas on how to clean them out. Preferably without dismantling the plumbing.

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m actually having the opposite problem. My sump keeps dropping too low with wide open valve. I think an obstruction has built up in my plumbing and need ideas on how to clean them out. Preferably without dismantling the plumbing.
A large pipe cleaner?
Stick it up there and scrub.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably best to start your own thread... You don't want to hijack this one ;)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back