Swannyson7's 180g mixed reef

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a beautiful sense of serenity with the open space you designed above the reef. When I rockscaped, my goal was a tank full of coral. Never really gave any thought to a visual scene except for a reef forest. Wish I had seen your tank first. Your tank is really inspirational. Do your anemones wander or sting, I set my rose bubble tip on a small rock island in the sand to prevent either issue but your bubble tip among the sps is very cool.

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a beautiful sense of serenity with the open space you designed above the reef. When I rockscaped, my goal was a tank full of coral. Never really gave any thought to a visual scene except for a reef forest. Wish I had seen your tank first. Your tank is really inspirational. Do your anemones wander or sting, I set my rose bubble tip on a small rock island in the sand to prevent either issue but your bubble tip among the sps is very cool.
Thanks Mark! The BTAs haven't wandered in about a year, but the RBTA on the right island planted itself on what used to be a 6+" Red Planet. The coral RTNd pretty much overnight, but the nem hasn't moved since. The GBTA is getting too big and it's stinging the mille on the front/left of the center island. I'm not going to bother doing anything about it though because I don't particularly care for that coral. My buddy bought it as a "multicolor mille," but he never got it to color up. He gave the frag to me and I tried every combination of light/flow with no results (hence the reason he didn't want it back...who wants brown corals?). It's just multiple shade of brown at this point, so if it dies, I won't be that dissapointed. It will hopefully give me the motivation to pull the GBTA to chop it and then I've got a few other frags I'd rather mount in it's place.

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added a another MP40wES on the tank. :xd: It's nice to see some more movement in the tank now that everything is growing in! I was starting to get a few stagnant spots and some of the corals were clearly unhappy about it.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How many do you have now?

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was originally planning on replacing one of the 40s with a 60 and moving the 40 to the back wall, but I think the wider spread of two 40s will work out better. Now I just need to contact Gooch about making another shelf to hide it! I love the way I was able to hide the other MP40s with the shelves. It makes the tank look so much more natural

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added a another MP40wES on the tank. :xd: It's nice to see some more movement in the tank now that everything is growing in! I was starting to get a few stagnant spots and some of the corals were clearly unhappy about it.

It's always exciting adding new equipment. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Marvin- I have 7 green chromis and that's how may I started off with just over 2 years ago. 3 of them were transfered from my 125, and the other four were added as soon as the 180 was set up.
That's awesome man. I'm glad they are all still with yah. I've heard the stories. was considering getting some since they are very hardy and I like how active they are, but I don't have a lot of room for anymore fishies. :(

Reefer in training...

IMG_5721.jpg
:hammer:

really cool. 1smile1

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... to say that the past two weeks were rough for my tank would be an understatement. I fragged my Hawkins and I don't know if it was too stressed from the cuts or if I had it out of the water for too long, but the whole colony RTNd. I now have a ghost white skeleton in place of the 7" colony that once stood in the center of my tank. Two years of growth down the toilet, but at least I was able to salvage a 1.5" frag. It'll be a long road to get back to where it once was, but I'm up to the challenge. To top that off, I came home from work this morning to find my water alarm screeching and a flood inside my stand. I have waterbugs wired to a Breakout Box on my Apex, but they don't do much good when you're in Washington, CT.... a place where not a single cell provider gets one bar. I mopped up the water (thank God I sealed the stand with silicone!!) and spent the better part of three hours trying to find the leak. I searched all the common areas... no leaks at the bulkheads or fittings, and all reactor hoses were dry. Then I finally saw it. The moded TLF 550 I'm using as a EcoBak reactor somehow managed to get a pinhole in the bottom, creating a nice stream of water. Not sure how this happened, as it's in a spot that nothing could have banged against it, but that's a whole other mystery. The pellets were rinsed and thrown into a spare TLF 150 I had laying around, so at least they're back online. And the saddest news of all... I lost my mandarin two weeks ago that I've had for almost 7 years. It was the most personable mandarin goby I've ever had, routinely "dancing" in front of the glass to show off his beauty. Now the hunt is on for another healthy looking male mandarin...

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear bro. Hope you find a replacement Mandarin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is coming along incredibly well, looks awesome.

Sorry to hear of your recent woes. I would try to install the reactor in the sump if you have room. Eliminating anything running external can help prevent flood issues.

Keep up the great work!

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear of the troubles man, always hard to lose stuff you have a history with.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry about the issues buddy. On the other hand I got to click this thread and see that cute picture of your baby and the tank. :)

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! Unfortunately, I don't have any room for the reactors inside the sump, so I'm stuck hanging them on the side for the time being. In a way, I almost wished it was a crack in the sump so that it would give me the motivation to finally get rid of the 55g sump that's currently in there. It's so tall that it's been a nightmare to work in and I'd really like to redo some of the plumbing as well. I have a drilled 40B that I could use as a sump with a 10g acrylic tank attached as a fuge, but it's such a daunting project to even consider doing without some panicked motivation...

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! Unfortunately, I don't have any room for the reactors inside the sump, so I'm stuck hanging them on the side for the time being. In a way, I almost wished it was a crack in the sump so that it would give me the motivation to finally get rid of the 55g sump that's currently in there. It's so tall that it's been a nightmare to work in and I'd really like to redo some of the plumbing as well. I have a drilled 40B that I could use as a sump with a 10g acrylic tank attached as a fuge, but it's such a daunting project to even consider doing without some panicked motivation...
:hammer:

I've been pondering either upgrading or doing something with the sump and my wiring for a while too. tried to do something with the wiring last weekend but didn't really accomplish much. I think I just need better planning when I finally upgrade. ;)

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the issues you had. I hope you find another great male mandarin and I hope your Hawkins frag makes it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%

Back