Talk Me Into Or Out Of Halides

Should I switch to halides/T5's?

• Don't do it... but change what you have.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol,
I forgot about this thread.

I've gone back to Incandescent bulbs and the par is unbelievable. :eek:

download.jpg

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I typically don't ask for advice in anything I do. I like to learn on my own merit, whether it be learning from mistakes or getting lucky the first time. With that being said, I have never owned halides before. I currently have a Giesemann Aurora, which is a T5/LED hybrid. The fixture is amazing in every way. But, I'm always up for trying new things... at least new to me. I have always love the crispness of halides and thought maybe I would switch it up. I have a buyer for my Aurora, so it would be a fairly lateral move money wise. I would want to go with the Giesemann Spectra, which is a T5/halide hybrid. It's actually the same chassis as my current fixture.... which as stated earlier, I love. Feel free to give me the pros and cons, but keeping in mind that I'm more than willing to do what's necessary to use halides... whether it be the need for a chiller etc.

The tank under T5/LED for reference:

IMG_4278 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

I'm still floored by this photo everytime I see it.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be interesting to see if the monti cap start changing their growth pattern.

+1
Mine shelved up like that, then it changed for wide growth. I'm sure if it goes too wide Toby can frag it back but it's going to be fun to watch how he lets his corals fill in.

Last edited:

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kessil AP700 looks like MH but better.
What ones eye's see is totally in material its what the corals want that is important. We base too much lighting choices on how WE want the tank to look and not what the CORALS really need to create a prefect environment for them to live and grow.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ones eye's see is totally in material its what the corals want that is important. We base too much lighting choices on how WE want the tank to look and not what the CORALS really need to create a prefect environment for them to live and grow.

I haven't used them myself, but I kinda thought that Kessil prevented the typical green and red diddling people do to "“Pop” their colors"?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't used them myself, but I kinda thought that Kessil prevented the typical green and red diddling people do to "“Pop” their colors"?
And they use the Kessil logic to keep the color spectrum output correct for healthy corals.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back