Talk Me Into Or Out Of Halides

Should I switch to halides/T5's?

• Don't do it... but change what you have.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rubicon_12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I thought I better update this thread... I'm sold on the T5/MH combo. This image is running the Giesemann 17.5k bulbs and Giesemann Actinic T5 bulbs. I actually have the Giesemann 21k bulbs in the fixture now and that will be my setup... I'll get pics of that in the next couple of days. I was telling @Reefcowboy that I swear I already notice better growth and coloration after only 2 weeks.

IMG_5293 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

I had to quote this because your tank is that amazing. This makes me want to ditch my AI primes over my 40B and switch to a 250W halide with some T5 actinics...

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes me want to ditch my AI primes over my 40B and switch to a 250W halide with some T5 actinics...

If you were gonna ditch I'd say dual 150w Radiums – they were perfect on my 50 Breeder (very similar to your tank) – but I don't think you can get those anymore.....250's will be way overkill for the shallower 40 Breeder or 40 Gallon. (Not that overkill has ever stopped too many poeple.) :D

You certainly wouldn't add T5's or anything else to the 250's on a tank that small. Or wouldn't need to. (That overkill factor again ;) )

Color is perfect from properly driver Radiums, and shadows are perfect if you have decent reflectors and the bulbs aren't too far from the surface. (250's make this a little harder....gets like an oven in a small volume of water when you're too close!!!)

But lets not forget the math involved....keep your Primes til they're worn out! :)

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I thought I better update this thread... I'm sold on the T5/MH combo. This image is running the Giesemann 17.5k bulbs and Giesemann Actinic T5 bulbs. I actually have the Giesemann 21k bulbs in the fixture now and that will be my setup... I'll get pics of that in the next couple of days. I was telling @Reefcowboy that I swear I already notice better growth and coloration after only 2 weeks.

IMG_5293 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr
Still digging the Giesemann bulbs? I have a pair of aging Radiums that need switching out and am considering the 21ks. Have ran them in the past and really loved them but some thing always pulls me back to Radium lol. Same fixture as yours with selecta watt ballasts.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still digging the Giesemann bulbs? I have a pair of aging Radiums that need switching out and am considering the 21ks. Have ran them in the past and really loved them but some thing always pulls me back to Radium lol. Same fixture as yours with selecta watt ballasts.
Are you running the 20K Radiums?

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the statement. I had no issues changing bulbs. Had done it for years because that is all there was. It was just a part of the aquarium maintenance. I do however enjoy the lower cost of running the reef with my led's now. My setup is much easier to maintain than my MH/T12 setup. I never have to change a bulb. After I initially set the unit up, I have never touched it again. I treat it the same as the old setup. I don't have any issues with burning corals and all that other stuff and no power meters needed either. Not sure why there is so much bad mojo.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the statement. I had no issues changing bulbs. Had done it for years because that is all there was. It was just a part of the aquarium maintenance. I do however enjoy the lower cost of running the reef with my led's now. My setup is much easier to maintain than my MH/T12 setup. I never have to change a bulb. After I initially set the unit up, I have never touched it again. I treat it the same as the old setup. I don't have any issues with burning corals and all that other stuff and no power meters needed either. Not sure why there is so much bad mojo.
Yea Man, I have a mixed reef at my office with a couple of Hydra 52 HDs on it. Works great.

tjnorthdakota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1063.JPG
I just switched from a 4 bulb t5/2x 150w halide combo over my 120 reef to just 2x 400w radiums and hamilton cozumel sun reflectors, man what a difference in the tank. I dont feel the need for any other supplement lighting, its great color with just the radiums and hardly any shadowing with those reflectors.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1063.JPG
I just switched from a 4 bulb t5/2x 150w halide combo over my 120 reef to just 2x 400w radiums and hamilton cozumel sun reflectors, man what a difference in the tank. I dont feel the need for any other supplement lighting, its great color with just the radiums and hardly any shadowing with those reflectors.
Lol, you may win a badge for par :)

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's allot of light for that aquarium. Awesome!

Yeah the only reason I added the VHO with my 400Watt Radiums was to get that glow they offered. Its a super pop on the fish and corals.

tjnorthdakota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I knew what the par levels were in my tank, everything is doing awesome though and I'm pretty sure I can grow sps on the sand no problem. They are 10" from the surface right now and for awhile I was thinking of using just one reflector since they have enough spread to light the whole tank

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were gonna ditch I'd say dual 150w Radiums – they were perfect on my 50 Breeder (very similar to your tank) – but I don't think you can get those anymore.....250's will be way overkill for the shallower 40 Breeder or 40 Gallon. (Not that overkill has ever stopped too many poeple.) :D

You certainly wouldn't add T5's or anything else to the 250's on a tank that small. Or wouldn't need to. (That overkill factor again ;) )

Color is perfect from properly driver Radiums, and shadows are perfect if you have decent reflectors and the bulbs aren't too far from the surface. (250's make this a little harder....gets like an oven in a small volume of water when you're too close!!!)

But lets not forget the math involved....keep your Primes til they're worn out! :)

Does this mean my 15" Reefbrite 250w MH fixture will be underpowered for my 66g 32x24x20? It does have 4x Reefbrite XHO blue strips with it which adds, but...not full spectrum...

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this mean my 15" Reefbrite 250w MH fixture will be underpowered for my 66g 32x24x20? It does have 4x Reefbrite XHO blue strips with it which adds, but...not full spectrum...

That might depend on what you're planning to grow in there, but for general coral growth I imagine that should be great. :) I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least one good spot to even grow a clam if you wanted.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That might depend on what you're planning to grow in there, but for general coral growth I imagine that should be great. :) I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least one good spot to even grow a clam if you wanted.

Hoping to be sps dominant, I'm sure some other stuff will sneak it's way in though. :)

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also just went through this same decision... I had a DIY LED/T5 fixture for a while, had a Razor, had 4 radions, and most recently ran 3 A360WE's/T5. I just recently (within the last week) hung 3 MH fixtures with 250w radiums in between my T5's.

Yes, all of the other solutions produced great growth (some better than others), and good colors (again, some better than others).

And yes, all of the things mentioned here are relevant points but to me, at the end of the day a MH/T5 setup is the most visually appealing and simple/tried and true solution around.

It looks great, and to me the pros outweighed the cons. You can deal with heat, electricity, evaporation etc more easily than you can deal with investing alot of time and money into something you're not happy with or something that you want to change.

BTW - I went with reefbrite pendant reflectors (due to space limitations in my existing canopy) and reefbrite 250w 0-10v adjustable ballasts and am really happy with them so far - granted it's only been a week. The ballasts are literally cool to the touch after an 8 hour cycle, slightly warmer than room temp. I have the reflectors mounted 10-11 inches off of the water line and my tank temp rises 1.2 degrees over an 8 hour cycle. I will solve that tonight with the help of a fan in my canopy to vent the warm air.
I also run the ReefBrite ballasts that are dimmable/adjustable. No heat at all, I love these things. Running a 14K DE bulb with three hydra 26's. T5's could have taken the place of the 26's though. You'll love the results of a halide, and I can't explain it, but it just works well for my corals. I will switch to a 20K DE bulb though and pull out some of the blues, alternatively you could add more white bubls to offset the 20K spectrum, but I have to say the 20K spectrum is beautiful. Go MH, it won't hurt your bank account and you can add it to the list of what works best for your tank. The Giesemann is one of the nicest fixtures around, that's a good one to start with.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you can mange the heat, electric bill and make it look as good as your hybird.

Then I'll say this.
MH/T5... Is still the "Gold Standard" in coral reef lighting regarding coral health, color and growth rate.

It's plug and play. Boring maybe, but (as another poster said) I like growing boring sticks :)

If any all led users start attacking this post, there will be no response.

Yes, All led's can do it. I ran a very successful reef for over two years running all led too.

I love this post.

I have been the hobby since we used grow lights and Philips tl-03 lamps to keep reefs. Anyone remember the Philips tl-03 lamps?

I have have used all types of lighting and multiples of each and you are right the Gold standard is still metal halide. It looks the best and has best glitter lines blah blah.

Yes leds has some advantages and I have seen more and more great tanks with led and they continue to improve but as of now Metal halide is still the gold standard.

I will add this though your tank looks amazing the way it is now. Even though I think halides are still the gold standard if you can deal with the minus. Right now led t-5 combo is probably the better light for now a days.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back