OP
Chrisfish

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for you smokers, how are you smoking it? I'm doing mine on my green egg, with light smoke as I heard the smokiness of turkey can be a bit overwhelming. And what is your brine recipe?
That's why I also do the traditional, I like smoked turkey the next day for sandwiches on @jskers sour dough bread recipe:p

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I do turkey I do a brine of salt, sugar, cinnamon, very small piece of clove, and apple juice for 1 1/2 days.
Pull it from the brine and let it dry completely. Then I make a rub of garlic and onion salts, paprika, red and black pepper, and thyme.
Then it goes into the fryer for around 45-60 minutes depending on the size.
To serve, I very carefully pull the skin off of one breast and cut it off the rest of the bird. If any seasoning from the rub gets on it I wipe it off with a paper towel dampened with apple juice. This breast gets sliced for those who prefer a traditional roasted turkey (bleh). I will say that the cinnamon and clove smell from it definitely scream holidays. The rest of the bird gets cut up and served normally. Oh, and since I'm the cook, I get the wings. ;)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Chrisfish

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I do turkey I do a brine of salt, sugar, cinnamon, very small piece of clove, and apple juice for 1 1/2 days.
Pull it from the brine and let it dry completely. Then I make a rub of garlic and onion salts, paprika, red and black pepper, and thyme.
Then it goes into the fryer for around 45-60 minutes depending on the size.
To serve, I very carefully pull the skin off of one breast and cut it off the rest of the bird. If any seasoning from the rub gets on it I wipe it off with a paper towel dampened with apple juice. This breast gets sliced for those who prefer a traditional roasted turkey (bleh). I will say that the cinnamon and clove smell from it definitely scream holidays. The rest of the bird gets cut up and served normally. Oh, and since I'm the cook, I get the wings. ;)
I LOVE the wings too!!!:D

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always use Alton Brown's brine recipe and oven roast the turkey. Comes out awesome every time. I'd really like to do a fried turkey one year but I'm gunshy about burning my house down :)

We have about 20 coming this year.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always use Alton Brown's brine recipe and oven roast the turkey. Comes out awesome every time. I'd really like to do a fried turkey one year but I'm gunshy about burning my house down :)

It isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I do it on a patio away from the house.

This is the first year in quite awhile that I won't be making a Turkey. Going to the in-laws! :eek:

OP
OP
Chrisfish

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I forgot about his brine, thanks I'll remind him about that one.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 77 40.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 95 50.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.7%
Back