The Bacterial “Rip Clean” Method

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Subsea you say equilibrium and thermodynamics I say look at all these white sponges and ditritus under my rock
C9F08D17-FC29-4669-87DF-C9CEC4411F7B.jpeg
You keep using big words I don’t understand I would appreciate if you could do a tl;dr thats short for too lazy didn't read. And you summarize all your key points so that someone with a lower understanding of science could still understand the point you're trying to make. Like you tried to compare it to a forest but I don't get how a forest is similar to a tank or "old tank syndrome".

More to the point of this thread. I don't think a bacterial rip clean is nearly as good as physically removing algae and ditritus (in my tank at least). You guys say it helps but I don't have the same algae problems you guys have.
Climax Forest is a clearly defined term, not so much with 0ld Tank Syndrome.

@joefishtank
I briefly looked at your threads. In 5 months on this website you have had a ****pot of bad luck.

Last edited:

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. Cyano is doing awesome. Its growing better than anything in the tank LOL. I haven't vacuumed in a few days. Been dosing 6gr of RA every other day since 2/2 I believe. The phosphates are really being consumed / removed? I have had to triple my dosage of P compared to before starting RA to keep it detectable. I have to dose some N but not very often. My goal as far as N&P is concerned is to keep them detectable. I test daily and dose accordingly. I did start dosing 1ml of MB7 on 2/9 daily in hopes it may stimulate some beneficial bacteria. I also dose 2ml of acro power daily. Probably doesn't matter but I wanted to mention it. I'm continuing my daily 1g water changes (40g total volume) For the most part the corals are looking happy. A few frags are pouty but that has always been the case in this tank. The YouTube quality doesn't show it well but most of the cyano is covered with small clear bubbles. Not sure what that means, I'm in the learning phase. I blew them off last night and they are back today. That's it for now.

EDIT it may be my imagination but the water seems clearer.
20230214_185505.jpg

Last edited:

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Subsea you missed out on the threads where people told me to quit reefing because I don’t test parameters and the threads where I went on asterisk fueled rants that got me temporarily banned

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. Cyano is doing awesome. Its growing better than anything in the tank LOL. I haven't vacuumed in a few days. Been dosing 6gr of RA every other day since 2/2 I believe. The phosphates are really being consumed / removed? I have had to triple my dosage of P compared to before starting RA to keep it detectable. I have to dose some N but not very often. My goal as far as N&P is concerned is to keep them detectable. I test daily and dose accordingly. I did start dosing 1ml of MB7 on 2/9 daily in hopes it may stimulate some beneficial bacteria. I also dose 2ml of acro power daily. Probably doesn't matter but I wanted to mention it. I'm continuing my daily 1g water changes (40g total volume) For the most part the corals are looking happy. A few frags are pouty but that has always been the case in this tank. The YouTube quality doesn't show it well but most of the cyano is covered with small clear bubbles. Not sure what that means, I'm in the learning phase. I blew them off last night and they are back today. That's it for now.

EDIT it may be my imagination but the water seems clearer.
20230214_185505.jpg

Where are the fish? Are you not feeding fish that you need to dose both N & P.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are the fish? Are you not feeding fish that you need to dose both N & P.
They are camera shy. There is a CBB, lawn mower blenny, possum wrasse, chalk bass, and 4 mollies. I feed a home made sea food mix 2-3 times a day. Return pump off and it looks like a snow storm when I feed. Not sure why but this tank has always run low nutrients even with heavy feeding.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are camera shy. There is a CBB, lawn mower blenny, possum wrasse, chalk bass, and 4 mollies. I feed a home made sea food mix 2-3 times a day. Return pump off and it looks like a snow storm when I feed. Not sure why but this tank has always run low nutrients even with heavy feeding.
If it’s not nutrient export, then everything must be going into nutrient recycling. Is this a bare bottom AIO? Is this a frag grow-out tank? What are you doing for nutrient export?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I called in reinforcements for algae control. I heard Randy say that the best offense against GHA was herbivores. Now I have two separate brigades: The Golden Astrae and The Blue Legs. Because of numerous other systems, I buy janitors in bulk. Half of the 400 went into this 75G display, to be transferred when they catch up with some help from me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 31

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s not nutrient export, then everything must be going into nutrient recycling. Is this a bare bottom AIO? Is this a frag grow-out tank? What are you doing for nutrient export?
It has a sump. It's about 40g or so total. I had chaeto in the sump but ended up pulling it a month or so ago. I didn't see much point in running chaeto and dosing N and P at the same time and I don't have anything that requires a fuge. I'm am running a skimmer now but it doesn't pull a lot. I skim dry and haven't emptied it in over a week. I never ran a skimmer on this tank in over 3 years. The only reason I'm running one now is because I had it laying in the basement. It is bare bottom and I have some marine pure blocks in the sump in addition to the rock in the display. I do 1g daily water changes. So I don't think I'm exporting heavily. It has mostly stick frags that I am growing out with few larger LPS and a couple SPS encrusting pieces.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I called in reinforcements for algae control. I heard Randy say that the best offense against GHA was herbivores. Now I have two separate brigades: The Golden Astrae and The Blue Legs. Because of numerous other systems, I buy janitors in bulk. Half of the 400 went into this 75G display, to be transferred when they catch up with some help from me.

400 of?

Herbivores are essential. I believe you are a diver, or was, or maybe it was work related I don't remember (sorry) but my point is that we can see the healthy reef (herbivores) vs the lessor healthy ones (few if any herbivores). I always treat my display as the same thought process. I do not, however, recommend frontload loading of herbivores as they will shortly die off as the algae is consumed.

I'm sure you already know this but I couldn't stop the trail of thought and reply :)

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
400 of?

Herbivores are essential. I believe you are a diver, or was, or maybe it was work related I don't remember (sorry) but my point is that we can see the healthy reef (herbivores) vs the lessor healthy ones (few if any herbivores). I always treat my display as the same thought process. I do not, however, recommend frontload loading of herbivores as they will shortly die off as the algae is consumed.

I'm sure you already know this but I couldn't stop the trail of thought and reply :)
300 Golden Asterina snails and 100 Blue Leg Hermit Crabs (tiny).

“Half of the 400 went into this 75G display, to be transferred when they catch up with some help from me”

For 35 years I worked in deep water drilling as a Subsea Engineer on underwater blowout preventers. Never entered the water but used ROV (remote operated vehicle) to perform emergency intervention.

PS: Pictures taken 10 minutes after first light.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
300 Golden Asterina snails and 100 Blue Leg Hermit Crabs (tiny).

“Half of the 400 went into this 75G display, to be transferred when they catch up with some help from me”

For 35 years I worked in deep water drilling as a Subsea Engineer on underwater blowout preventers. Never entered the water but used ROV (remote operated vehicle) to perform emergency intervention.

PS: Pictures taken 10 minutes after first light.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Nice. I used to work for a company that made drill equiptment for exploratory drilling for oil and gas.
Mostly I made the antennas but did work on some of the other equiptment also. We were the only drilling equiptment company based on Connecticut. Kind of a mom and pop store in the field of oil and gas.

I pickup up some seachem phytoplankton Saturday and have been dosing nightly along with full dose reef actif.
The instructions say 10ml for 100 gallons 2x weekly. The first dose I did was 10ml and I've been doing 6ml every night since.

I have not cleaned the glass really, only to snap some pictures but there is not much to clean. (just coraline). The hair looks like it's having a hard time growing since I pulled it last.
I'm waiting a few more days and I'll take some more pictures and upload them.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I used to work for a company that made drill equiptment for exploratory drilling for oil and gas.
Mostly I made the antennas but did work on some of the other equiptment also. We were the only drilling equiptment company based on Connecticut. Kind of a mom and pop store in the field of oil and gas.

I pickup up some seachem phytoplankton Saturday and have been dosing nightly along with full dose reef actif.
The instructions say 10ml for 100 gallons 2x weekly. The first dose I did was 10ml and I've been doing 6ml every night since.

I have not cleaned the glass really, only to snap some pictures but there is not much to clean. (just coraline). The hair looks like it's having a hard time growing since I pulled it last.
My love of the “deep blue” started as a teenager with my fathers love of deep sea fishing. As president & CEO of a bank, he used corporate boat, a 32’ Bertram, to bring neighborhood kids 200 miles due South of Lafayette, Louisiana into the Gulf of Mexico. Because I often got seasick, it became a ritual to transfer me from rocking boat to a production platform in 100’ of water. As I peered down, a whole new world opened to me. The steel platform was an artificial reef covered in barnacles, filter feeders & grazing fish. Fast forward 25 years and I am Senior Subsea Engineer on Transoceans dynamically positioned drillship, Discovery Seven Seas, which set deep water drilling record of 7500’ in 1977. While assigned to this ship, with help from Shell Enviromental Engineer and a $100K budget, we set up an invertebrate reef tank and used a once thru flow of the sea water that we floated in. In any professional endeavor, QC & QA are paramount to fine tune efficiency. I sold a reef tank in the middle of a drill ship as not only quality assurance, it was superb “political correctness”. It was a tremendous morale booster for shops crew of 100 and Shell got an enviromental ”gold star”.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Dburr1014

Where in Connecticut do you live? I have family half way out to Montauk Point on Long Island and while visiting @Paul B this past August, we could see Connecticut across Long Island Sound. He lives on the North Shore, where taxes are “too high” for the mosquitoes “to stay”

I celebrated 25 wedding anniversary in 1997 with 10 days in the NE during October enjoying foliage colors. We started in Boston, traveled up the Mohawk Trail spent 2 nights at Lake Placid then traveled thru New Hampshire, Connecticut and Maine. Spectacular countryside and wonderful citizens of the area. Most memorable to me was the trip up to top Mt Washington. It was a gorgeous Autumn day at 10am and 72 degrees. In the fertile valley, lush green was in abundance and as we put car in low drive, we began the ascent. Because my attention was focused on driving, I hadn’t noticed the changes until stopping at a pull over. The trees were no longer with us; instead icicles hung from roadway signs and they were horizontal because of the WIND. The highest winds on Earth were recorded on top Mt Washington

Mount Washington, in New Hampshire, is the highest peak in the Northeastern United States at 6,288.2 ft (1,916.6 m) and the most topographically prominentmountain east of the Mississippi River.

The mountain is notorious for its erratic weather. On the afternoon of April 12, 1934, the Mount Washington Observatory recorded a windspeed of 231 miles per hour (372 km/h) at the summit, the world record from 1934 until 1996. Mount Washington still holds the record for highest measured wind speed not associated with a tornado or tropical cyclone.[4][a]

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Mount Washington is a very beautiful place with crazy weather. They close it every winter because it's so nasty up there. I live in a town called Haddam which is just south of Middletown. Been here pretty much all my life.
I'm about 20 minutes from the beach down in Old Saybrook. I love the Fall Foliage in the spring here. I just hate winter, LOL. I hate being cold. But yes Paul B is just across the Little Pond of the Long Island Sound. Interesting that your friends with him living in Texas. But he does have a lot of friends from what I see on the boards. I would love to go down and see his tank sometime. He is one interesting fellow.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Mount Washington is a very beautiful place with crazy weather. They close it every winter because it's so nasty up there. I live in a town called Haddam which is just south of Middletown. Been here pretty much all my life.
I'm about 20 minutes from the beach down in Old Saybrook. I love the Fall Foliage in the spring here. I just hate winter, LOL. I hate being cold. But yes Paul B is just across the Little Pond of the Long Island Sound. Interesting that your friends with him living in Texas. But he does have a lot of friends from what I see on the boards. I would love to go down and see his tank sometime. He is one interesting fellow.
Paul has been my Reefing super hero for a long time. However, we go further back than that even though we never meant until 2022. Between 1967 & 1970, I spent four 90 day tours of duty in Cambodia as a crew chief on Puff the Magic Dragon while Paul was Airborne Calvary in the highlands of Vietnam and Cambodia.

We Were Soldiers is a 2002 war film written and directed by Randall Wallace and starring Mel Gibson. Based on the book We Were Soldiers Once… and Young (1992) by Lieutenant General (Ret.) Hal Moore and reporter Joseph L. Galloway, it dramatizes the Battle of Ia Drang on November 14, 1965.

PS: Paul survived this battle after he called in naphalm on his own position.

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was born in 65.

Thank you both for your service!
It was an adventure at 19 years old. Ignorance is bliss. Now days I go with

discretion is the better part of valor​

idiom

—used to say that it is better to be careful than to do something that is dangerous and unnecessary

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I add carbon to my systems;

Attachments

• 9C875AE0-8B11-47D6-94E7-89625D32C57F.jpeg
    9C875AE0-8B11-47D6-94E7-89625D32C57F.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 25
  • 55A48561-AA7B-4736-8615-3B45AB3D9B77.jpeg
    55A48561-AA7B-4736-8615-3B45AB3D9B77.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 28

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back