The Bacterial “Rip Clean” Method

p1u5h13r4m24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone reported on the results of the nutrients while using reef actif? I’m just trying to see if this really is any different than carbon dosing.
I’m only mentioning this because when I used it I noticed my nutrients drop, so I stopped using it. I dont really have algae issue though, just wanted to be part of the experiment and “not clean the glass”.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone reported on the results of the nutrients while using reef actif? I’m just trying to see if this really is any different than carbon dosing.
If it helps my nitrates have been stable at 20 ppm for almost 3 months (maybe more, keep losing the sense of time) there was a chap earlier on the thread that had been using it for 3 months or so that also did report no major impact on nutrients. There is many things in our system that can cause nutrients to drop not just carbon dosing.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must export the nutrient to get the nutrient level to drop when you add carbon. This is why strong skimmer to get the bacterial out of the water column to decrease nutrients. You can definitely add some carbon to get the bacterial population to increase and this would hopefully improve the food availability for animals in the tank, assume that the tank is diverse enough to have all the various animals that feed on the bacterial then in turn get eaten by animals that are higher in the food web.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone catch if the product is being discontinued? Reef Actif that is? Was setting up an order over on premium aquatics when I came across the product and their message saying it has been discontinued. Not sure if that is due to availability or by Tropic Marin.

@Lou Ekus ?

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone catch if the product is being discontinued? Reef Actif that is? Was setting up an order over on premium aquatics when I came across the product and their message saying it has been discontinued. Not sure if that is due to availability or by Tropic Marin.

@Lou Ekus ?
He answered this earlier (Post #202) that it is not being discontinued.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He answered this earlier (Post #202) that it is not being discontinued.

Thank you for the post number. Appreciate it. I see the comment. Must be that PA is no longer selling it. I sent an email stating that it is a bit misleading as it reads the actual product when it may be for other reasons. And that if they could clarify or change it.

Thank you again. Have a great day!

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, it seems to be sort of hit and miss with which suppliers carry which TM products. If this test is successful, we should probably see more of it.

p1u5h13r4m24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it helps my nitrates have been stable at 20 ppm for almost 3 months (maybe more, keep losing the sense of time) there was a chap earlier on the thread that had been using it for 3 months or so that also did report no major impact on nutrients. There is many things in our system that can cause nutrients to drop not just carbon dosing.
Thanks. Ya I wasn’t 100% sure if it was the actif or not, so thank you for the feedback!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must export the nutrient to get the nutrient level to drop when you add carbon. This is why strong skimmer to get the bacterial out of the water column to decrease nutrients. You can definitely add some carbon to get the bacterial population to increase and this would hopefully improve the food availability for animals in the tank, assume that the tank is diverse enough to have all the various animals that feed on the bacterial then in turn get eaten by animals that are higher in the food web.
BINGO: That is my vision as well. Duplicating a Caribbean mixed garden lagoon that is heavy on inverts + filter feeders is a goal that I have partially attained. I find these systems compatible to inverts including live oyster clusters with filter feeding barnacles of all sorts. My first marine tank in September of 1971 was a Galveston Bay theme with green mollies & grass shrimp from estuaries and CorlyQue anemones from Galveston jetties.

p1u5h13r4m24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BINGO: That is my vision as well. Duplicating a Caribbean mixed garden lagoon that is heavy on inverts + filter feeders is a goal that I have partially attained. I find these systems compatible to inverts including live oyster clusters with filter feeding barnacles of all sorts. My first marine tank in September of 1971 was a Galveston Bay theme with green mollies & grass shrimp from estuaries and CorlyQue anemones from Galveston jetties.
My man!

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after 4 weeks every other day treatments at recs. Stellar water quality, glass clean and green hair algae for the first time in my life. Should I keep on actif or just nuke the tank? The only thing that has changed was adding actif.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after 4 weeks every other day treatments at recs. Stellar water quality, glass clean and green hair algae for the first time in my life. Should I keep on actif or just nuke the tank? The only thing that has changed was adding actif.
I started Reef Actif test run with three different systems. I will continue with 100% dose every 2 days on 120G display. I bought two bottles and just opened the second bottle. At $20 a month, I consider it a good program and would considering getting it by the kilo.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is actif causing green hair algae?

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is actif causing green hair algae?
Thats what Im trying to figure out? Im not sure whether to lay off of it or continue? Does anyone think that in conjunction with this battling out other algae that it could have left the door open for something like this to show up? The tank was suffering with a little bubble and diatoms before starting the actif but never a sign of gha.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what Im trying to figure out? Im not sure whether to lay off of it or continue? Does anyone think that in conjunction with this battling out other algae that it could have left the door open for something like this to show up? The tank was suffering with a little bubble and diatoms before starting the actif but never a sign of gha.
So you had a problem with other algae, started using actif, and gha showed up?
What about the other algae? Did that go away?
Are you skimming? How do you export?

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you had a problem with other algae, started using actif, and gha showed up?
What about the other algae? Did that go away?
Are you skimming? How do you export?
Bubble has started to slowly go away, thinking upped the cuc is helping that. Diatom has been a never ending silicate battle that I think Im now winning. Skimming 24/7 and daily 2 gallon water change on what I think is about 100 total gallons give or take.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your no3 above 5 and po4 above 0.04 ?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back