The Climate Change thread - news about the changing climate and the effects on reef ecosystems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangs-A-Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP: “Warning: people in this thread believe in climate change. This is not a political discussion - please keep your personal conspiracy beliefs personal.”

Who’s to say that your beliefs could be the conspiracy theory ?? ‍

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Bean. This thread is meant for people who do believe in Climate Change, including the impact of humans on it. I respect that you may not agree, but that's a discussion for a different thread with a different topic. Thanks.
You make it seem like it's a religion. Some fairytale to believe or not to believe. It's like saying 'I don't believe in cancer' or 'I don't believe in the atoms'. Weird thing to say it's something to believe in.

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You make it seem like it's a religion. Some fairytale to believe or not to believe. It's like saying 'I don't believe in cancer' or 'I don't believe in the atoms'. Weird thing to say it's something to believe in.
You're not wrong.

It's just so different here in North America...gotta walk on eggshells I tell ya.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave it to a reefing forum to deny climate change - so unfortunate
What is truly unfortunate is that people often fail to see their own bias or hypocrisy when scolding others on subjects like this.

You know, the glass houses thing?

If you are a true believer, I suggest shutting down the computer and returning your livestock to the sea, for you are contributing to the problem.

ElementReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a science degree, but I try to be fair and open minded about our universe. It’s complicated, and we have only been measuring it precisely for a few hundred years. We don’t know everything.

But you don’t have to know everything to know something.

CO2 is a greenhouse gas. A weak one, but one nonetheless. And we are releasing it from the crust into the atmosphere 40 times faster than any natural event in history.

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New North Atlantic temp record 2 months before historical peak.

The North Atlantic has become an emblematic observation point for the warming of seawater worldwide due to the effects of climate change caused by greenhouse gas emissions.

"This situation is extreme: we've seen maritime heat waves before, but this is very persistent and spread out over a large surface area" in the North Atlantic, Karina Von Schuckmann from the Mercator Ocean International research center told AFP.

The expert noted that the oceans have absorbed 90 percent of the excess heat produced by human activity since the dawn of the industrial age.

"This accumulation of energy doubled over the last two decades," fueling global warming, she said.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Bean. This thread is meant for people who do believe in Climate Change, including the impact of humans on it. I respect that you may not agree, but that's a discussion for a different thread with a different topic. Thanks.
I suggest creating a private forum somewhere if you wish to have an echo chamber where opposing facts, views, interpretations or opinions can't interfere with your perspective.

As far as man made, I have absolutely no desire to get into that debate and have not mentioned it AT ALL. I have pointed out (minimally) the magnificent forces at play. The planet (solar system, universe) is infinitely and unfathomably more powerful and impactful than we could ever dream of being and our presence here is at its whim and is a blink of this planets lifetime, let alone this solar system's or larger.

Look at a SMALL events like Chicxulub, or the formation of the Siberian Steppes and contemplate what they did to our oceans?

Our "coral reefs" are a less than temporary feature that we are lucky enough to enjoy in our lifetimes and maybe our species lifetimes. They will (as will we) be replaced one way or the other with new or something totally different. Our fossil records proves as much ;)

D E N I N O

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave it to a reefing forum to deny climate change - so unfortunate#
No one has denied climate change in this thread.
Interestingly enough, it's not:

1690735036301.png

However, it is unknown if this is driven by climate change or other factors. One theory mentioned in the article has to do with the warm lower layer getting warmer and warmer and eventually mixing with the top layer, raising the salinity and making it more difficult for ice to form.
You're proving my point again, the graph doesn't show how much ice there is. It's "sea ice anomalies"

And to be fair my data was out of date, you got me there... But Antarctic sea ice was growing until 2018. That's not exactly consistent with what we've been told for the last 20 years.

18573.jpg

What did Al Gore tell us in 2009...

All the models and all the predicts made on climate change have been wrong, and this is going back to the 70's when they predicted an ice age.

I don't think anyone can predict anything correctly.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And we are releasing it from the crust into the atmosphere 40 times faster than any natural event in history.
That (both volume and effect) is also highly debated in many circles and disciplines, but not something that we will solve here.

In the end none of it really matters.

If you follow the various models as accurate and attribute 100% of the "change" to man, those same models ALL predict we have already crossed the event horizon....

If you don't subscribe to man-made-anything and this is 100% nature, we are too along for the ride.

My take - do what you can to reduce realtime impact on things that matter. We are certainly good at making a mess of our local environments.. that includes runoff directly harming reefs, plastics killing animals, poisoned streams and lakes, etc.

Work to prevent the massive bottom dragging that is destroying habitat a few football fields at a time of the ocean floor... while it may not be anything on the planetary time scale, it is certainly destroying what IS thriving. Is climate change hurting the Alaskan crab beds? I don't know, but I do know that a few global fisheries are dragging the ocean floor (illegally) and nobody is doing anything about it... and THAT is measurably and factually causing a massive decline.

Last edited:

Solasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is truly unfortunate is that people often fail to see their own bias or hypocrisy when scolding others on subjects like this.

You know, the glass houses thing?

If you are a true believer, I suggest shutting down the computer and returning your livestock to the sea, for you are contributing to the problem.
1690739005176.png

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

Amazing! I can't see the post you quoted but I think I know which one it was.

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley mentioned solar panels and electrified vehicles as two ways he has changed how he lives. Randy, what did you have to do to get your charger installed? I am guessing an electrician had to come in and run a new line with a 240v breaker?

For everyone else, do your countries/regions have grants to improve efficiency?

We are thinking about applying for an energy saver grant here in Canada. We have to have an assessment done, but I already know of our 3 biggest issues:

1. No tyvek and insulation under siding
2. Very old and damaged attic insulation
3. Old leaky windows and doors not sealed properly

Going to be expensive to get these all cleaned up. I wish I lived in one of those little trailer homes - I bet the repairs would be much smaller and less costly :)

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feel like siting the natural climate changes that have occurred during the earths "life" only serve to muddy the waters. I think most sensible people, climate scientists included, would agree that the earths climate has changed and will continue to change independently of human interaction. But I don't think anyone is saying that changes to the earths climate are 100% man made. Rather that humans can contribute to changes in the climate and theoretically those changes could occur too such an extent and at such a rate that they cause irreversible damage...

Does this mean that we are headed towards a man made global warming apocalypse? I don't know, maybe. (though more likely I think we will just see undesirable outcomes that were otherwise avoidable or would have occurred much more slowly (maybe the extinction of certain species?)

Is it possible that even if man causes irreversible damage that it would pale in comparison to climate changes that were "inevitable" due to natural changes? Sure I guess.

All I know is that I "believe" in climate change :)

sorry, rambling rant over with.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Warning: people in this thread believe in climate change. This is not a political discussion - please keep your personal conspiracy beliefs personal.

I wonder what this would mean for Atlantic reefs? Warmer water around the equator, much cooler water in the northern waters.

Hang on to those Florida Rics, they might be rare soon.
Anyone wanna lay odds this thread survives until tomorrow…:zany-face:

Besides I can guess which news channel the assorted posters watch with 100% accuracy and no thread on this topic is gonna change anyone’s mind (or will any science, stats or data) :confused:

BTW see Younger Dryess if you believe corals or animals can quickly adapt to climate change…. OTOH OR if you don’t believe fast climate changes don’t occur naturally anyway…

Disclaimer I was a “coal miners daughter” :D

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I lived in one of those little trailer homes - I bet the repairs would be much smaller and less costly
Na you don't fix up trailer homes you let those rot away and then just buy another. Kinda of like cars.
And yes I have lived in trailer homes and own one that I rent out. ;)

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like siting the natural climate changes that have occurred during the earths "life" only serve to muddy the waters. I think most sensible people, climate scientists included, would agree that the earths climate has changed and will continue to change independently of human interaction. But I don't think anyone is saying that changes to the earths climate are 100% man made. Rather that humans can contribute to changes in the climate and theoretically those changes could occur too such an extent and at such a rate that they cause irreversible damage...

Does this mean that we are headed towards a man made global warming apocalypse? I don't know, maybe. (though more likely I think we will just see undesirable outcomes that were otherwise avoidable or would have occurred much more slowly (maybe the extinction of certain species?)

Is it possible that even if man causes irreversible damage that it would pale in comparison to climate changes that were "inevitable" due to natural changes? Sure I guess.

All I know is that I "believe" in climate change :)

sorry, rambling rant over with.
Great rant!

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When mankind dumps several hundred million tons of carbon into the atmosphere during the Industrial Revolution, about 150 years, bad things happen to the environment.

Tangs-A-Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Besides I can guess which news channel the assorted posters watch with 100% accuracy and no thread on this topic is gonna change anyone’s mind (or will any science, stats or data) :confused:
I can guess who is in lockstep with the hypocrites.

Attachments

• IMG_5015.jpeg
    IMG_5015.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 8

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody know the co2 impact of our exponentially increasing population of humans of the planet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back