The Climate Change thread - news about the changing climate and the effects on reef ecosystems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think that kind of discussion would break down into the usual "no I am right" - I was hoping this thread could specifically be a discussion for people who want to discuss how a changing climate is affecting reefs, what's being done, etc, but as is always true online...people just feel the need to scream their opinions anywhere they can.

Except - (at least if I assume that bold letters means anything), you are basically requesting/demanding (and I don't think thats anyone's right) that only people that agree with you post on this thread. And - as I've said - I agree with your general premise. But - lets face it - you've basically disenfranchised many people on this forum from being allowed to express their opinions (even if they have facts to back them up) - because they are somehow political wackos. Apologetically, I don't get this logic.

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Certainly an option - honest question, what is stopping you?”

He was just denigrating people that live in those types of homes. Just like he did with people that don’t believe in his theories, calling other peoples opinions “conspiracies” (when maybe his theories are the conspiracies).

The sun is a super major influence in our planet’s wellbeing. We are a mere speck and to think we can affect major change is quite a boast. The planet has been going through cycles, ups & downs for millions upon millions of years.

Who is denigrating people who live in trailers?

The earth has cycles, yes. It doesn’t take a genius to reach this conclusion. Doesn’t mean we aren’t accelerating processes which have been much, much slower before we arrived.

Anyways, this is a thread for discussing something that is happening and it’s effects on an ecosystem we all love. If you want to discuss your personalize conspiracies, I am sure you could make your own thread for that.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. That’s oxygen production. The tiny space that is the corn belt scrubs more co2 than all of South America. Hundred year old trees grow slow.
So I'm interpreting that backwards(?) Dark is bad?

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who is denigrating people who live in trailers?

The earth has cycles, yes. It doesn’t take a genius to reach this conclusion. Doesn’t mean we aren’t accelerating processes which have been much, much slower before we arrived.

Anyways, this is a thread for discussing something that is happening and it’s effects on an ecosystem we all love. If you want to discuss your personalize conspiracies, I am sure you could make your own thread for that.

Serious question. Why does no one lump humans in with “one of earths cycles”? I mean seriously, we’re just monkeys that learned to wear pants.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't mean we are either. Brilliant and very well credentialed and informed people on both sides of the debate can not come to a conclusion, let alone a bunch aquarium owners.
You keep framing your perspective as the prevailing fact and anybody who does not agree as a conspiracy theorist... that is very unfortunate.

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except - (at least if I assume that bold letters means anything), you are basically requesting/demanding (and I don't think thats anyone's right) that only people that agree with you post on this thread. And - as I've said - I agree with your general premise. But - lets face it - you've basically disenfranchised many people on this forum from being allowed to express their opinions (even if they have facts to back them up) - because they are somehow political wackos. Apologetically, I don't get this logic.
Absolutely not what I’ve done but I wouldn’t expect anything more from you to be honest.

People who prefer to ignore man made climate impact are more than welcome to make a thread on it. This thread is meant to discuss its impacts.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People who prefer to ignore man made climate impact are more than welcome to make a thread on it. This thread is meant to discuss its impacts.

To be fair even if he is saying humans have zero effect, zero is still mathematically a number. So he’s discussing humans zero effect. :p

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Serious question. Why does no one lump humans in with “one of earths cycles”? I mean seriously, we’re just monkeys that learned to wear pants.
As an adamant enjoyer of hard sci fi, I agree!

Some of us just don’t want to take down all of the other species with us. Nature can adapt, but it’s usually doing so over millions of years, not a few decades.

D E N I N O

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems a bit silly to compare a group of hobbyists who maintain fragile, sometimes rare or endangered animals for enjoyment or propagation to say, large sources of pollution like automotive emissions, oil refineries, 2 cycle engines, etc etc. The impacts are not remotely comparable and perfection is the enemy of the good. Imo the most insidious move polluting groups ever made was pushing the blame and responsibility to individuals rather than taking accountability at a large, corporate level. If we reduce every "pro-environment" argument to "you can't do anything that contributes to climate change whatsoever in your life at any point if you're worried about it" then it's easy to just keep moving the goalposts to anything someone does being a problem. I agree that the Earth will likely be OK. That doesn't mean fisheries, crops or human population will be. Lots of poorer countries rely on natural resources like the sea for sustenance. We should certainly all consume less and be less wasteful, but that doesn't make the data invalid.
Do you think you're helping the climate by importing rocks and bags of water from halfway across the planet to slowly watch them die in your living room?

How do you think this stuff gets here? It's not by bicycle.

Then you're using all this extra energy to keep this ecosystem alive inside your home.

If you actually care about the fragile eco systems out there you wouldn't be supporting an industry that profits from ripping it up and sending it around the world.

Be honest about the hobby, we are not helping the reefs. We value having coral or fish in our homes over having coral or fish in the reef, we all do this every time we buy a coral or fish.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are making assumptions. I don’t know anyone who thinks celebrity wastefulness is ok.

Unfortunately, just stopping rich peoples yachts is not going to do much. I’d still love to see them get dinged for it, though.
And maybe the guy living in a hut, baking in the sun thinks you should ditch the computer and aquarium or get "dinged for it" because middle class waste-fullness is not ok.

Wow

D E N I N O

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CO2 is a greenhouse gas. A weak one, but one nonetheless. And we are releasing it from the crust into the atmosphere 40 times faster than any natural event in history.
Genuine question, I'm not as smart or educated as yourself so if it's stupid please don't be afraid of saying so.

This year we saw Nordstream 1 and 2 blow up. This was the biggest release of methane ever in the planets history, methane is 80 times more warming than CO2.

Is this likely the cause of the heatwaves this year rather than CO2?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This might be a better topic for the lounge. My post and another on this issue got shut down because people couldn't behave.
The same kinds of comments 'outlawed' here - are 'outlawed' (couldn't think of the right word) - in the lounge. However, you may be correct

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And maybe the guy living in a hut, baking in the sun thinks you should ditch the computer and aquarium or get "dinged for it" because middle class waste-fullness is not ok.

Wow
Maybe he’s right, to be honest. I’ve thought a lot about that myself.

Anyways, any chance we can get back to the topic of the thread? If you don’t want to accept climate change/global warming etc than you have that right, but I was hoping for a thread where we could keep an eye on the impact it’s having on reefs.

Tangs-A-Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You keep framing your perspective as the prevailing fact and anybody who does not agree as a conspiracy theorist... that is very unfortunate.
Exactly, he still doesn’t understand he is being rude by calling my perspective a conspiracy. I am not here bashing anyone for their thoughts, just posted some other ideas.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an adamant enjoyer of hard sci fi, I agree!

Some of us just don’t want to take down all of the other species with us. Nature can adapt, but it’s usually doing so over millions of years, not a few decades.

I’m gonna voice my first opinion based thought now. Maybe on earth we are a giant scourge. I consider nature though things both on and off our planet. The cosmic blip that is pants wearing space monkeys means nothing in the universe.

“There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.”

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At our funerals you might come across “friends of coal” bumper stickers… family is from E.Ky since 1700’s no chance they will buy any of this no matter how much evidence is presented to the contrary,,,,

My point? people are selfish: you won’t convince ranchers in NM wolves need protection and you won’t convince energy workers or people from any of those states/areas that climate change is real and even if you do, they are not gonna go for any change that endangers jobs or lively hood…

and My take? its all a drop in the bucket until you get the 1 billion Chinese and 1 billion Indians on board

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think that kind of discussion would break down into the usual "no I am right" - I was hoping this thread could specifically be a discussion for people who want to discuss how a changing climate is affecting reefs, what's being done, etc, but as is always true online...people just feel the need to scream their opinions anywhere they can.

Unfortunately, it is hard to talk about these things with other like-minded people for this reason. There will always be people who feel like they must inject their opinion. Would be open to reading their opinion on a thread meant for that type of debate, but instead, they feel the need to scream in here.

Good news is there is a helpful ignore button for erasing those rude posts!
The answer IMHO - the change in climate is affecting reefs in a negative way. The discussion portion (which you have kind of banned in a small way) - is 'why' is the climate change happening. ? Or am I misunderstanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back