OP
R

Riley Pasha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that is actually natural sea water that has been filtered. I think that is part of the water system that Birch Aquarium uses.

We were out there for MACNA last September. Spent time at the tide pools at La Jolla and they were awesome. Definitely wanting to go back sometime soon :)
Ohhhhh makes sense. Is that water ok to grab and use in a tank?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that is actually natural sea water that has been filtered. I think that is part of the water system that Birch Aquarium uses.
The LFS fountains sells natural seawater from Los angeles. Its saltwater and has been filtered and run through a UV as well. The LFS also sell rodi, I haven't tested their TDS, but lets say I dont buy it there.
Scripps is also seawater. Its free to use. It is mostly unfiltered, it uses a basic sand filter.

OP
OP
R

Riley Pasha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The LFS fountains sells natural seawater from Los angeles.

You mean the fountains take water from LA?? I'm confused what u are saying here . If I don't buy RO/DI from the lfs and don't use the scripps mostly unfiltered water then where should my source come from..?

OP
OP
R

Riley Pasha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes. I do.

You use the water straight from the fountain at scripps? Have u ever tested it with a DTS or other water testing kits? Also do you ever use other filtration techniques or add any conditioner or just put it straight in the tank?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean the fountains take water from LA?? I'm confused what u are saying here . If I don't buy RO/DI from the lfs and don't use the scripps mostly unfiltered water then where should my source come from..?
yes the LFS has it delivered to them. its very clean. I have not tested their water with my tds meter. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VTQM70/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483729264&sr=sr-1&keywords=tds+meter
with buying rodi from a store its best to test it. as you have to trust that they spend the money to keep the equipment working properly.

I live 2 miles from there and share the same water. if thier filters are bad, it will be bad for the tanks.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You use the water straight from the fountain at scripps? Have u ever tested it with a DTS or other water testing kits? Also do you ever use other filtration techniques or add any conditioner or just put it straight in the tank?
no I use the scripps water directly from the tap there in clean buckets. Many many people do, and many tests have been run.Its higher in Po, lower in calcium than a salt mix, other minerals fluctuate. you can't test salt water with a tds meter as salt will be registered on the test, only rodi.

OP
OP
R

Riley Pasha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no I use the scripps water directly from the tap there in clean buckets. Many many people do, and many tests have been run.Its higher in Po, lower in calcium than a salt mix, other minerals fluctuate. you can't test salt water with a tds meter as salt will be registered on the test, only rodi.

You go there to use scripp's tap water?

OP
OP
R

Riley Pasha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes the LFS has it delivered to them. its very clean. I have not tested their water with my tds meter. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VTQM70/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483729264&sr=sr-1&keywords=tds+meter
with buying rodi from a store its best to test it. as you have to trust that they spend the money to keep the equipment working properly.

I live 2 miles from there and share the same water. if thier filters are bad, it will be bad for the tanks.
Also - I went to my usual lfs and they didn't have RO/DI. Do you know if petco or petsmart normally have it?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also - I went to my usual lfs and they didn't have RO/DI. Do you know if petco or petsmart normally have it?
I dont know. I think it would depend on the store. depending on where you are, Aquatic warehouse, and aqua sd, and SDcorals will have it. North or south of there I dont know.

OP
OP
R

Riley Pasha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know. I think it would depend on the store. depending on where you are, Aquatic warehouse, and aqua sd, and SDcorals will have it. North or south of there I dont know.

Looks like aquatic warehouse is only a 10 min drive and aqua SD is only 12 :). Have you been to both and know which one is better?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or which one has cheaper/better RO/DI
sd coral will be cheapest I believe. all are zero tds. AW is pretty fun if you havent been. ASD is just cool but $$$ sometimes. ASD and SDC both sell mixed salt. SDC has water wednesday is like .50c a gal.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, one of my favorite sayings is, "Nothing is as easy as it should be." but this is going on a bit! ;)

Scripps Pier
siocommA_ScrippsCampus_Aerials_20080718_004.jpg

The pier also provides a supply of fresh seawater, a critical resource for a marine institution, to an array of laboratories and aquaria. Seawater is pumped up from the end of the pier, then filtered and stored in holding tanks. Scripps pumps about 1.8 million gallons of seawater each day.

...and from Pier Facilities....
Pier Facilities
Seawater System
Two 1,200-gpm and one 850-gpm pumps supply fresh seawater to a gravity flume system that runs the length of the pier. Fresh and filtered seawater is available at various locations along the length of the pier. Raw seawater is available sporadically directly from the seawater flume. No instrumentation or sampling protocol shall impact performance of the seawater system.

People have been using water from that pier for many, many years....

I'm positive I'd use the filtered seawater if I had that available.....but I'd even be very tempted to use the unfiltered.

OP
OP
R

Riley Pasha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, one of my favorite sayings is, "Nothing is as easy as it should be." but this is going on a bit! ;)

Scripps Pier
siocommA_ScrippsCampus_Aerials_20080718_004.jpg

...and from Pier Facilities....

People have been using water from that pier for many, many years....

I'm positive I'd use the filtered seawater if I had that available.....but I'd even be very tempted to use the unfiltered.

Im confused af now lol. Why would u wanna use unfiltered water ? I guess I'm gonna buy some RO/DI from either Aqua SD or AW. Prob gonna hit up Aqua first cuz it's closer.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would u wanna use unfiltered water ?
it has all the natural goodness.;)
If you go to ASD talk to Amanda. Shes the fish head and coral feeder. She has a Penchant for mandarins Pipes and seahorses.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Po? I assume you mean phosphate (PO4---), but Po is polonium. :D

" A rare and highly radioactive metal with no stable isotopes," lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 44 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back