Thinking of setting up a small frag tank

Nano-Newb1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about setting up a 20G long frag tank to hold just zoas. So what im asking is what would be needed to set this up?

What light, filter, and flow would be needed?

Also, do i need much rock in there or any sand?

Thanks
mark

OP
OP
Nano-Newb1983

Nano-Newb1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK cool thats what i thought... So what would be a good filter, Light and Powerhead to use on the tank?

Remember, tank will just hold Zoa frags so i hope i dont need anything too fancy

PLNelson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any old power head would be fine. A PC light would be fine for holing zoas. Or you could get a T5 retro kit, and only run one bulb. It would probably be about same money it both options are new.
I wouldn't bother with a filter. Just do a 10 gallon water change every week or two.

Be prepared to do lots of top off with fresh water. With no sump on that small of a system, it will change the chemistry fast as water evaporates. If at all possible, tie this tank into your main system. Then you wont have to worry about filtration or top off.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be prepared to do lots of top off with fresh water. With no sump on that small of a system, it will change the chemistry fast as water evaporates. If at all possible, tie this tank into your main system. Then you wont have to worry about filtration or top off.

I agree. I've run several 20g frag tanks in the past. The greatest problem is chemistry changes from evaporation. I topped the tanks off daily with RO water.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back