OP
AllSignsPointToFish

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears that three AP700s would work with my tank. I would have to relocate my T5s (or remove them completely). I wonder how much these things weigh?
Hmmmm...these things weigh about 5 pounds each :/

david berry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hacksaw the brace out its a canopy support the outer trim n sealant will b more than sufficient to keep glass in place

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People do em with and without canopies all the time though.

As for cost, you mentioned adding 2 or 4 additional lights anyway.

Three A700's is like six A360's if I'm not mistaken. So just to say it: it's a huge upgrade, not merely a huge cost.

You're currently running your A360's up to 100%, so arguably there's a pretty good (if smaller) reason to upgrade, other issues aside....it should extend the life of the emitters. :)

From a little browsing, it looks like you might get at least $350/ea for your A360's on the used forum....so maybe $1000.....I think that leaves about a $1600 difference in between you and the three AP700's.

Vs. spending another $1000 and only getting A160's and a big mess with 7 fixtures worth of cords.

It's not the only way to go of course, but the AP700's would be a really nice option.

OP
OP
AllSignsPointToFish

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hacksaw the brace out its a canopy support the outer trim n sealant will b more than sufficient to keep glass in place
Now that's
honestly an idea I've NEVER considered! Lol. Has anyone else ever done this?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO NOT DO IT. If you think the manufacturers put anything into these tanks that's not absolutely necessary, think again.

How do you feel about 100 gallons of water on the floor if you're wrong?:eek:

jungvarsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO NOT DO IT. If you think the manufacturers put anything into these tanks that's not absolutely necessary, think again.

How do you feel about 100 gallons of water on the floor if you're wrong?:eek:

Taken many center braces out as long as you do not muck up the perimeter bracing it should hold and while I do agree safety is a concern all it would take is relocating the brace with some creativity...done on multiple occasions

OP
OP
AllSignsPointToFish

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People do em with and without canopies all the time though.

As for cost, you mentioned adding 2 or 4 additional lights anyway.

Three A700's is like six A360's if I'm not mistaken. So just to say it: it's a huge upgrade, not merely a huge cost.

You're currently running your A360's up to 100%, so arguably there's a pretty good (if smaller) reason to upgrade, other issues aside....it should extend the life of the emitters. :)

From a little browsing, it looks like you might get at least $350/ea for your A360's on the used forum....so maybe $1000.....I think that leaves about a $1600 difference in between you and the three AP700's.

Vs. spending another $1000 and only getting A160's and a big mess with 7 fixtures worth of cords.

It's not the only way to go of course, but the AP700's would be a really nice option.
Going back to metal halides, however, i could install DIY fixtures for a fraction of the cost and pay for them by selling the Kessils.

david berry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have on a 55 gal that had a center support that was blocking one of three mh lights

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going back to metal halides, however, i could install DIY fixtures for a fraction of the cost and pay for them by selling the Kessils.

True, but then you're turning on the perpetual spit for bulb changes and excessive power use.

If you're worried about coverage, that's one thing. If you're worried about expense, that's another. (PM being sent)

AP700's at least lower your power bill* and solves the shadow issue in spades.

*Three are about 600 watts total, but you'll never have them at 100%...it will be less power than the 250 halides you're thinking of when the AP700's are set to "equivalent" light levels.

OP
OP
AllSignsPointToFish

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, but then you're turning on the perpetual spit for bulb changes and excessive power use.

If you're worried about coverage, that's one thing. If you're worried about expense, that's another. (PM being sent)

AP700's at least lower your power bill* and solves the shadow issue in spades.

*Three are about 600 watts total, but you'll never have them at 100%...it will be less power than the 250 halides you're thinking of when the AP700's are set to "equivalent" light levels.
It's not that I'm really cost sensitive, it's just that spending $2700 on LEDs doesn't feel right, especially when I've already spent $1200 on what I have. I'm not sure I will really save on my power bill, by the way. I already have three Kessils running at 90W each plus 160W of T5s at times. Also, there is a 100W heater that runs all of the time and a 300W heater that has about a 50% duty cycle. SO, 90W+100W+150W (half of 300W)+160W is already 500W. I was targeting the 175W metal halides because I have experience with them, feel comfortable with retrofit kits, and the wattage is pretty much what I have now.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 a360we units would be fine with 2 center. Braces. Just have the lights straddling the braces. Center section would have two lights. Outers would have one each

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really don't save a lot of money going LED power consumption with the new ballast's used for MH is a wash with the amount of LED's people put on their tanks to compensate for the lack of spread of LED's. Rea;ly 45 dollars once a year for a bulb is nothing in the grand scheme of keeping a reef tank. If you are worried about saving money you are in the wrong hobby.:)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back