Three new fish and all died within three days

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased two red and one purple firefish.

20 gallon QT was running for six days while I was adding Seachem Stability.

HOB back filter with biological, mechanical, & chemical filtration.

77-78 degrees, 23 salinity, 0 Ammonia, and 0 Nitrite.

The moment I added them to the QT, they were moving around very quickly. First one died two days later and only ate on day one. The other two died on the third day and ate the first two days. The same food was given to fish in my DT. One of the three kept on breathing fast last night.

I want to know if I did anything wrong. This is my second time QT’ing. First time, same tank, went well. Any help will be great. Thank you.

OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea. I also have the Seachem Ammonia Alert that sticks to the glass and that was also showing safe.

Fish were added on Friday around noon. First one did Sunday morning. The other two, today morning.

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me rephrase... You state the tank was running 6 days. What number day was it? Was it the first day you set the tank up or was it a couple days after starting it?

OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. Tank was setup on the 17th. Fish were added on the 22nd. First fish died on the 24th. The other two, today.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The moment I added them to the QT, they were moving around very quickly. First one died two days later and only ate on day one. The other two died on the third day and ate the first two days. The same food was given to fish in my DT. One of the three kept on breathing fast last night.

I want to know if I did anything wrong. This is my second time QT’ing. First time, same tank, went well. Any help will be great. Thank you.
23 salinity seem reasonable for many fish retailers. Did you verify the salinity prior to adding them to the QT?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you check with the LFS to see how his firefish are doing? Or perhaps other customers reported the same thing happening?

OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you check with the LFS to see how his firefish are doing? Or perhaps other customers reported the same thing happening?

This is my plan for today. I do know that the three fish were purchased from the wholesaler specifically for me. I don't think they spent much time at the LFS. I'm also going to have them test my water.

Here is a breakdown of everything I have and did.

20 gallon QT
HOB Filter – Mechanical, Biological, and Chemical Filtration
Powerhead

09/17 – Setup using Tropic-Marin PRO-REEF. Added 10ml Seachem Stability.
09/18 – Added 5ml Seachem Stability.
09/19 – Added 5ml Seachem Stability.
09/20 – Added 5ml Seachem Stability.
09/21 – Added 5ml Seachem Stability.
09/22 – Added 5ml Seachem Stability. Salinity 23. Added fish using drip acclimation for 20 minutes. Fish very active. Fed them in the evening and all of them ate.
09/23 – Added 5ml Seachem Stability. Two fish ate only.
09/24 – Found the one fish dead that did not eat. Other two fish did not eat.
09/25 – Found the remaining two fish dead.

Ammonia – 0
Nitrite – 0
Salinity – 23
Temperature – 77 to 78

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fringe09 It sounds like they succumbed to a fast killing parasite, such as Marine Velvet Disease. However, without taking a sample from the gills to be examined under a microscope... there's just no way to be sure.

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider also that multiple firefish may have seriously stressed each other out in a small qt. They don't really get along well with conspecies, especially in a small tank. That usually would lead to jumping but could have exacerbated any lingering infections...

OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fringe09 It sounds like they succumbed to a fast killing parasite, such as Marine Velvet Disease. However, without taking a sample from the gills to be examined under a microscope... there's just no way to be sure.

Consider also that multiple firefish may have seriously stressed each other out in a small qt. They don't really get along well with conspecies, especially in a small tank. That usually would lead to jumping but could have exacerbated any lingering infections...

Thank you both. My LFS has a 15 day money-back guarantee. I can always get the same fish replaced or get another specifies fish. I'm concerned if I did something wrong. It's very stressful and I don't want this experience to discourage me from QT'ing again.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You did your first quarantine in this same tank, but did you sterilize the tank and all the equipment before you added the second batch of fish??

OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did your first quarantine in this same tank, but did you sterilize the tank and all the equipment before you added the second batch of fish??

The first set of fish that I quarantined were just observed. No medication. I cleaned the equipment with RO water, dried it, and then filled it with a new saltwater.

After this specific incident, I’m going to give the equipment a vinegar bath before my next set of fish.

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting conflicting information regarding Firefish. Some say that they are colonial and other say they are not.
In my experience and local Reefer near me, Firefish with red colors are fine with other red colored Firefish. Mixing purple with red or Helfrichi usually ends up badly. A school of one type of Firefish looks dope af

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting conflicting information regarding Firefish. Some say that they are colonial and other say they are not.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/168/firefish?pcatid=168&c=15+1636+168

...This member of the Gobiidae family is generally not aggressive towards other fish except those of its own species. However, a mated pair can live peacefully together.

You have more leeway in a 160 so might be able to get away with multiples in the display (maybe) but if you are going to quarantine them together, you are going to need dividers. FWIW, I personally have only really had luck with singles...

OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/168/firefish?pcatid=168&c=15+1636+168

You have more leeway in a 160 so might be able to get away with multiples in the display (maybe) but if you are going to quarantine them together, you are going to need dividers. FWIW, I personally have only really had luck with singles...

Right now I only have two fish in my DT. Purple Firefish and a Cardinal. I need to think about my next set of fish. I want to make sure I get the sensitive ones first before moving on to the aggressive ones. I think I'll get some Blennies now and come back to the Firefish. Bicolor Blenny, Flametail Blenny, and a Tailspot Blenny.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I have noticed is that those badges can be hard to read. Did you test the ammonia another way, or were you relying on the badge?

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back