Toche's 180g Rimless Build

Toche

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R community

I joined this forum a few years ago and just recently got around to introducing myself on the intro section. I've learned a lot just from reading other people's amazing build threads and questions. I started with a 75g around 2 years ago but not long after I decided to upgrade to this 180g. So here's the setup so far:

Planet Aquariums 180g Rimless
Trigger Triton 44
ATI SunPower 8x80 T5
Skimz SM163 Skimmer
Tunze 3155 ATO-Using a 10g tank as a reservoir
Ice Cap gyre 3k and 1 MP40 for DT circulation
Current USA eFlux DC return pump
Chaeto in Refugium with Amazon grow light

Livestock:
1 purple tang
1 flame fin tang
2 green chromis
2 ocellaris clowns
1 yellowtail damsel
1 Fire shrimp
1 pepperment shrimp
A few emerald crabs and trochus snails

IMG_1129.JPG

IMG_1135.JPG

IMG_3486.JPG

OP
OP
Toche

Toche

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pictures of the tank before it was setup and of the stand being built. I custom ordered the tank from my lfs, Just Fish in Biloxi, MS. Ever since I got into the hobby I've always loved the clean look of rimless tanks and I've tried to keep that theme going with the other components of the build. The stand was built by me, my dad, and my uncle.
IMG_0651.JPG

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0654.JPG

IMG_0684.JPG

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the cabinet and how it’s built into the wall. Very stylish.

I also love your light, I have an ATI sunpower too and very happy with it. Tried everything besides natural sunlight, T5 is still my favorite :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Toche

Toche

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the cabinet and how it’s built into the wall. Very stylish.

I also love your light, I have an ATI sunpower too and very happy with it. Tried everything besides natural sunlight, T5 is still my favorite :)
Thank you! I originally wanted a stand alone cabinet but building it into the wall gave me a lot more room. I love this fixture, the even spread from this light is amazing

OP
OP
Toche

Toche

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's been a while since I've posted on my build thread and quite a lot has happened since I first started this tank. Over the past year I've had a few ups and downs but the most recent one was enough to make me tear down the tank and do a reset. The corals I had were just not thriving like I wanted and the massive Aiptasia outbreak was killing what was left.
So in an effort to keep the tank going I pulled all the rock and did a bleach soak for 3 days. I then removed all livestock and placed them into separate QT tanks. I soaked all equipment in citric acid and scrubbed the tank and the sump.
After everything was put back together I decided that this was a good time to start the zeovit method so I followed the 14 day cycle. The tank has been back together for about 19 days now and everything is going well so far.
IMG_5911.jpg
IMG_8134.jpg IMG_8339.jpg IMG_3186.jpg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s gonna be a great looking tank. :)

OP
OP
Toche

Toche

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went to the LFS today and picked up a hippo tang. He's currently in QT with the copper band which is not eating very well. I've tried putting food in the rock, brine shrimp, clams on the half shell, and LRS. He hasn't taken to anything yet. I'm going to try and find a store tomorrow that sells live black worms. Anyone else have any suggestions?
IMG_8632.jpg

OP
OP
Toche

Toche

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added the powder blue today, all the fish seem to be getting along pretty well. Continuing to follow the zeovit method closely. The tank has started its ugly phase with some green and brown algae appearing on everything, other than that no problems so far.
IMG_0569.jpg
IMG_3798.jpg

OP
OP
Toche

Toche

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized I didn't update the equipment and livestock list since the restart. Im still running the same light fixture and the same sump, ato, and return pump.

Filtration-
Theiling rollermat compact

Skimmer-
SRO 3000-INT

Zeovit Reactor-
Bubble Magus 2.5L
I actually had to modify this with a Sicce Syncra 1.0 pump, the stock pump is a little too strong

Flow-
4 MP40's

Chiller-
AquaEuro USA 1/4 HP

I also have a GEO 618 calcium reactor that I'll be hooking up once the tank has coral
IMG_4202.jpg
IMG_2301.jpg
IMG_5738.jpg

Livestock-
1 Blueface angel
1 Regal angel
1 Purple tang
1 Flame fin tang
1 Powder blue tang
1 Magnificent foxface
2 Blue Chromis
I also have 1 hippo tang in QT currently

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your rollermat on its base or hung off the side of the sump? Also when you change the rollermat, how much do you need to move the top hose? Is hard plumbing it to the main drain okay for movement?

OP
OP
Toche

Toche

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your rollermat on its base or hung off the side of the sump? Also when you change the rollermat, how much do you need to move the top hose? Is hard plumbing it to the main drain okay for movement?
The rollermat is hanging on the edge of the sump in that first chamber. Hard plumbing it is okay as long as you have a way to disconnect it. I used a union on mine before it gets to the rollermat. When I go to change it I turn off the return and disconnect that union. I just pull the whole rollermat and that section of plumbing out as one unit and change the roll outside of the sump. I've found it to be much easier this way rather than trying to squeeze under the cabinet and change it there.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice, I ordered one and it should arrive today. I think hanging it off the side is the way to go with this. Water depth in the first chamber seems too deep to be able to use the base it comes with.

OP
OP
Toche

Toche

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice, I ordered one and it should arrive today. I think hanging it off the side is the way to go with this. Water depth in the first chamber seems too deep to be able to use the base it comes with.
That’s the same problem I ran into, first chamber was too deep. I like mine, I just wish the replacement fleece lasted longer and/or weren’t so expensive. Still better than dealing with filter socks though

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found it really difficult getting any real useful information on the detailed dimensions, all I could find was footprint and height and then someone had done some slightly better dimension on a photo, but nothing to really help me.
20200930_095859.jpg

Hanging is the best approach, thanks again for the info. I have been able to work out my sump design now, so another step closer to the end goal.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back