Treating With Vitamin C

AquaGrizzly

Member of the IRP
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw that you posted it in the other forum. I'm going to try the vitamin c this morning. I have a couple zoa colonies that need to be saved.

AquaGrizzly

Member of the IRP
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed with 1 tablet of the meijer vitamin c tablet...that was yesterday morning. Going to put another one in here pretty soon. When the lights come on at 10 we'll see if there is any ill effects or if the zoas open up.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea I got my eye on this thread. :D

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates??? I'm still too scared to dose the vitamin. Don't want to lose my acans and micros as they are expensive

AquaGrizzly

Member of the IRP
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything seems to be in working order. The zoas did open a little more than usual. My monti caps, frogspawn, 2 birdsnest, etc. seem all o.k. with it as well. My purple deaths are the same. We'll have to see if there is any ill effects after a week or so. I cut the dosage down to half a tablet. This is going into an AGA 90.

Weetabix7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been told that using Seachem's Reef Plus really helps with zoa growth, colors and expansion.
Reef Plus contains 5 mg Vitamin C in 1 g of liquid, as well as Vitamin B, amino acids and several minerals.
I haven't tried it yet, because it has to be refrigerated and I inadvertantly left it overnight in a refrigerator that had been turned off due to a move. The door of the frig wasn't opened so any cold that was in there would have dissipated only slowly, and I refrigerated it right away the next day at the new house, but I'm still afraid to use it.

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many MG are your tablets and how big is your tank??? Can everyone dosing post tank size and MG used

chadfarmer

profilux in the house
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been told that using Seachem's Reef Plus really helps with zoa growth, colors and expansion.
Reef Plus contains 5 mg Vitamin C in 1 g of liquid, as well as Vitamin B, amino acids and several minerals.
I haven't tried it yet, because it has to be refrigerated and I inadvertantly left it overnight in a refrigerator that had been turned off due to a move. The door of the frig wasn't opened so any cold that was in there would have dissipated only slowly, and I refrigerated it right away the next day at the new house, but I'm still afraid to use it.

i have tryed reefplus but th eproblem is my skimmer skims it out about 5 mins after added to my tank

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you guys would talk to Dana Riddle, he would explain to you about non-photosynthetic reflective proteins being responsible for our bright oranges and deep blues, when color is the variant in coral.

There is much current research on the additions of Amino Acids, vitamins, lipids, and protein supplements to help promote invertebrate growth.

All are safe when dosed properly.

I dose 2 500mg capsules of Amino Acids daily. Filter feeders and sponge growth is phenomenal.

I dose 1ml dry 100% whey protein(unflavored) to 5 ml seawater and apply with syringe. Filter off. Wait 20min. then turn back on. Anymore than this dose will cause the skimmer to go crazy and wet foam for a long time requiring a water change to chill out the skimmer.

I use Vita-chem 5 ml per day liquid vitamin supplement daily.

My zoas/palys/softs look great. My SPS grows quickly, especially my Sunset montis.

I got a nice piece of Leng Sy Monti and dipped it too long. It lost all of it's zooxanthellae and only a dozen or so polyps were visible on the skeleton. There are 5 people who have seen the white skeleton with light green polyps who are all amazed that the coral has fully healed. Vitamins/proteins is the only reason for recovery.

I feed a ton of flake food to my corals. Yes, flake food. I grind it to a powder, then mix with water, then add the powdery water to the tank at night. Polyp capture is amazing. Corals are extremely healthy, robust, and growing. The only problem is keeping phosphates lower than .01ppm. Therefore, my SPS acros turn brown, but still have great color on the tips and grow very well. If I drop the phosphates, the corals will color back up.

Any over supplementation will quickly be removed by the skimmer and activated carbon. That is why turning off the filter for close to 30min a day will help the animals feed.

HTH, Rich

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rich - Great info!!!!!!! I am pretty convinced now that I need to start this. It makes sense to me but what do I know...... I'm moving in 2 months and I'm trying to get everything UBER healthy so that they won't stress too much in the move. Its not far and I'll have another setup a;ready going but it can't hurt. I like bright colors so I hope to see great results as you have!

OP
OP
Pufferpunk

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think my colors are way brighter now, in addition to polyps being open--even the ones that were receding & they actually look larger. This may be another coincidence but I was having really bad PE on my SPS & all of them are out way more than before.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back