Troylee's ultimate upgrade~~~round 2~~~

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well due to some issuses with my custom drop tank like flow being a real pain and the stand setteling and becoming unlevel I just decided it's better to swap tanks then deal with rubbermaids and livestock etc.... Lots more to come..;)
I got 30 min to finish cutting this tank and get it loaded in my truck before lunch is over... Be back soon with much more....:p

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay all is cut except the black background... this tank is gonna be the normal rectangular box 220gal overall... staying with the coast to coast overflow staying with the tank jets for returns and staying with the beananimials dead silent failsafe overflow..those are the best in the buisness imo....i will start snapping pics today when i get home and start building the bad boy... so if you ever wanted to learn acrylic, or how to make a tank stay tuned....;) this is gonna be the world's fastest build....lol... im guessing by friday it will be running and right now it's just a couple sheets of plastic....;)

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys.... I never doubted the drop the tank but I used styrofoam under the tank just incase the stand was off by a tad since it is a split level and now over the course of 6 months and a crap load of rocks being piled in the deep side the foam has started to collapse and the tank is way unlevel..:( I noticed my water line has been off and now it's pretty bad so I started looking over the tank and found a seam with a little bubble of haze in it, so I'm not gonna chance it... I'm sure if I drained it and re-leveled it most likely it would be fine but I want to do it right and re-inforce the bottom seams because of the added stress it has been taking... And to do that it needs to sit dry for a couple weeks so the water can evaporate out of the acrylic before doing the repairs.. So anywho a new tank in the mix... Just gonna sell the drop after I fix it to recoupe the cost of this one.... Besides that drop is a pain to work in lol...

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright i got all my plumbing ordred and shipped 2nd day air so i think im good there.... im gonna re-use my current sump, skimmer, light's etc.... just gotta knock out a stand tomorrow and deal with the rest as time goes.... light's gonna look crappy again with 2 diy lumenarcs sitting on top but i will get a new canopy made here next week or something..:)
i was gonna just modify my current stand and use the canopy but the more i thought about it why stick with a 5ft long lol, and chop up the drop to make it all work, it would save me a few dollars but i figured just fixing the drop and selling it was worth more than the few dollars i would save, so that was that..... should be interesting.....

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay got the background made and all the teeth cut out for the coast to coast overflow...that's it for now.. More pics and building tonight...;)
afafcf05.jpg

1e4a5f0a.jpg

nicks387

Premium member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nuts man. I think you are just looking for a reason to do another tank project....
Cant wait to see it.

Bio-nut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut the teeth with a radial arm saw or table saw? cutting Teeth that small with a jig and router would be a pain.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep guessing..... Lol
nah I used my panel saw..;)
it's got a table that is 8 ft wide by 14ft long with a circular saw that rides on 2 pipes down the table... I'll get a pic in the morning...

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw. The tanks coming along great..;) I got lots of pics to post when the wife ain't around. Lol.... Took some of the drop tank also so you can see what I'm talking about... I might be crazy but this is for sure my last tank unless I hit the lottery...:p

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay here is pics of the drop...
the first is the foam it's prolly hard to see in the pic but the tank has dropped about 3/16th into it..:(
10-3.jpg

here is the water level on the right with my custom frag rack..:) take note 3/8" maybe..
9-3.jpg

water level on the left over a 1" down...:(
8-3.jpg

and the damage!!!!!
7-4.jpg

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so here is the new tank so far... i will come back and edit whats going on in each photo..
here i got the first side ready to glue up it's clamped in place with pins in the seam ready for glue..
6-4.jpg

5-5.jpg

and here is the other side getting glued up... dont mind my mess im in a hurry lol..
2-6.jpg

1-6.jpg

and here is the euro brace layed out and being rough cut with a jigsaw..
4-5.jpg

3-6.jpg

thats it for now back to work....:p

KEEPERZ

TOTM March 08'
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the weather is right for building a tank don't you think :) congrats Lee-

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back