Tuning your CalRx | Alternate method thats too easy

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept the PH in my reactor at 7.1 and Co2 turns on at 7.4 (Tank PH was 8.1)

But my Alk was still climbing too high. Im thinking i should just run the reactor with the Co2 off. idk
To give you some perspective on my settings.... BEFORE i started using a CaRx, I was using 2-part and my doser was dumping 300ml of alk into the tank every day.

JBNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your alk demands don't look to be too high, so I would leave the reactor pH at what you have it and just lessen the amount of effluent coming out of the reactor.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after raising the internal PH and lowering down the effluent to the lowest setting. My Alk was still climbing high. So i shut down the reactor and started testing Alk every other day. Here were my results:

Day 1: 10 dkh (Turned off Carx)
Day 2: 9.6 dkh
Day 3: 9.1 dkh
Day 5: 8.3 dkh
Day 7: 7.8 dkh
Day 9: 7.3 dkh
Day 10: 7.28 dkh
Day 11: 7.22 dkh

What are your thoughts?

As an aside, this is a good example of how the higher the alkalinity the higher the daily demand for alkalinity. Consequently, if one is to quote the daily alk need of a tank, one must state the tank alk and pH for it to really make sense. In your case, you need a lot more daily alk added to maintain 9.6 dKH than 7.2 dKH. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But my Alk was still climbing too high. Im thinking i should just run the reactor with the Co2 off. idk

CO2 off won't do anything useful. If you cannot lower the flow, set the pH higher and keep the flow where it is. :)

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after raising the internal PH and lowering down the effluent to the lowest setting. My Alk was still climbing high. So i shut down the reactor and started testing Alk every other day. Here were my results:

Day 1: 10 dkh (Turned off Carx)
Day 2: 9.6 dkh
Day 3: 9.1 dkh
Day 5: 8.3 dkh
Day 7: 7.8 dkh
Day 9: 7.3 dkh
Day 10: 7.28 dkh
Day 11: 7.22 dkh

What are your thoughts?

just concentrate on one value, i suggest the internal ph of you Rx.

Don't a just effluent an ph. Adjust one or the other or you will never get the reactor dialed in. I agree on the slow steady flow method it prevents clogging. Just raise or lower you pH in the reactor. In addition Kalk is a great addition.

this

then change you program to allow a higher "low" value of the internal ph go up to 7.2 and test, if its still raising your alk goto 7.2 as your low etc.

CO2 off won't do anything useful. If you cannot lower the flow, set the pH higher and keep the flow where it is. :)

this

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on starting up my calcium reactor in a few weeks, ive read the whole thread and watched the video. This all has been very helpful.

Question: once i start it up what do I do with the current 110ml of both alk/ca being dosed with apex and pumps. Do i drop by 1/2 and decrease little by little or do i just shut it off al together. @ToXIc

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy. That makes sense.

Another Question. Although not Chemistry related, it relates to CaRx.

As I plan how to set this up, i notice some like @ToXIc use a manifold to feed the reactor. My Reef Creations the manufacturer of my reactor recommends an MJ1200 powerhead. I prefer a manifold so i dont have to worry about cleaning a pump.

Issue: CaRx sits outside on wood floors for me. I bought an Apex leak detector and can program it to shut off Carx if I spring a leak. Issue is I can shut off powerhead but not manifold unless I shut down return pump to DT. Manifold is atttached to return pump.

What are others doing. Yes Im a worry freak when it comes down to the Misses wood floors. This is the only piece of equipment I will have that is out of sump.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At one time I used a manifold with T's and gate valves to control flow to various things such as refugia, an ozone reactor, etc, as well as the main return.

Eventually, however, the valves became clogged with growth and I could no longer close or adjust them, so it lost its usefulness and I decided to toss the whole contraption.

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Randy. Shut off your 2part or you'll be chasing your tail.

With the manifold, I run mine off a 2nd pump 24/7, I shut off my return every time I feed do water changes etc. so wanted it up all the time. It's also made with unions so the entire thing can be removed and soalked in vinegar solution for maintenance.

Click the link in my sig for my tank thread. You see when I took the manifold out, half of it and modified it for a bigger pump.

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess my better option will be a powerhead :mad:.

I want to be able to shut the whole CaRx system down with controller if a leak is detedcted. I have it sitting on a custom made acrylic tray that will absorb ~1.5 gallons, but that all the leeway i have.

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ToXIc - so ive just started my CaRx using your method and im going up and down from 9-13 DKH (over last 3 weeks). 7.7-7.6 on and off respectively. Still have ALK at 10. I want it at 8 dkh. So i increased to 7.75-7.65 on CaRx. But concerned about drip rate. Friends have had me go up and down on this, but I want to use your method where drip rate is constant.

I think it would be helpful if you shot a video of the drip rate you refer to in the initial video. Can you please do that, and explain?

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ToXIc - so ive just started my CaRx using your method and im going up and down from 9-13 DKH (over last 3 weeks). 7.7-7.6 on and off respectively. Still have ALK at 10. I want it at 8 dkh. So i increased to 7.75-7.65 on CaRx. But concerned about drip rate. Friends have had me go up and down on this, but I want to use your method where drip rate is constant.

I think it would be helpful if you shot a video of the drip rate you refer to in the initial video. Can you please do that, and explain?

i did its @5:53 in the video. But like Randy said every tank is different. The issues you had may be because your tank doesnt have as much demand that your CalRx is putting out? especially when dissolving/melting at a high range at 7.7-7.6

how much are you dripping/flowing out of your Rx?

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did its @5:53 in the video. But like Randy said every tank is different. The issues you had may be because your tank doesnt have as much demand that your CalRx is putting out? especially when dissolving/melting at a high range at 7.7-7.6

how much are you dripping/flowing out of your Rx?

I agree with you and Randy that all tanks and their demands are different. What I liked most of your "method" is cutting back the variables. According to your video if you keep out flow and bubble count the same all you have to adjust is Ph of CaRx. and I would love to do this.

I missed your video of the actual flow coming out of your reactor, thanks for pointing out to me @5:53. I saw it and is approx what I had going, ive since slowed it down to a constant drip with the needle valve you recommended. and am down to 9.8 Alk today..

Of note: I bought this CaRx from a friend that has a 700G system (My reef creation 6- CaRx). . Mine is ~250G. Can that be the issue??

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video. I've been doing the same just didn't realize it. Just need to fine tune a bit. Where did you get your effluent reactor? Been trying to search and I've come up empty. Checked synergys Facebook page but no info there. Can't find anyone that makes them. Thanks.

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you and Randy that all tanks and their demands are different. What I liked most of your "method" is cutting back the variables. According to your video if you keep out flow and bubble count the same all you have to adjust is Ph of CaRx. and I would love to do this.

I missed your video of the actual flow coming out of your reactor, thanks for pointing out to me @5:53. I saw it and is approx what I had going, ive since slowed it down to a constant drip with the needle valve you recommended. and am down to 9.8 Alk today..

Of note: I bought this CaRx from a friend that has a 700G system (My reef creation 6- CaRx). . Mine is ~250G. Can that be the issue??

Good news on getting the alk going down. Normally with the old method you would size the Rx because with a range of 6.5-6.9 you be melting/dissolving so much you'll over dose. But with this method it's not that big of a problem.

Great video. I've been doing the same just didn't realize it. Just need to fine tune a bit. Where did you get your effluent reactor? Been trying to search and I've come up empty. Checked synergys Facebook page but no info there. Can't find anyone that makes them. Thanks.

Just swapped out the barbed fittings for the john guest fittings.

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How beneficial do you think an effluent chambers is? Been Thinking about adding one to my 120g. I have a Geo618 reactor that need to be refilled every 8 months or so.

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say very. It will remove the excess CO2 from the effluent this keeping your ph higher in the tank.

I actually have to fill my 2nd chamber up a lil after 1yr of running. It probably melts/dissolves about 1/10 the amount/rate of the main chamber.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back