Tuning your CalRx | Alternate method thats too easy

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on. Thanks. Never really paid attention to my PH. Always low because of CA. Reactor. No problems so far. Looks like I'll be ordering one from Geos Reef. They make one. Thanks.

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very helpful video/thread for a first time setup. I ran a CA Rx for the first time a month ago and did not have enough demand to effectively set it. I was also under the assumption ph had to be very low to dissolve.

Going to hook it back up tomorrow and add a couple more SPS to increase demand. :)

Crazy Seahorse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thread. I have been running my Ca Rx since the summer 2012. I´m using the same method that is shown in the video. I keep my output steady on 200ml/min and only use the Ph in the reactor to adjust the Kh, Ca and Mg.
In the beginning I had some problems with the Kh demand. I couldn´t get enough out of the reactor. My tanks are heavely stocked with corals.
My reactor is build by a Fellow reefer (it has two connected chambers) and I discussed the problem with him. The issue was this: If I increased the Co2 indput to get more effect out of the reactor, it turned into gas in the top of the reactor.
He sugested that I increased the pressure inside the reactor. If the pressure increases, the Water will be able to "hold on" to the Co2 and it wont become a gas. He mentioned, that it is the same principle that is used in soft drinks or beer in cans. It releases the Co2 when you open it, because the pressure is Falling and then You get all the bubbles. It works in the same way in a Ca Rx.
I don´t use bypass because I cant get enough pressure in that way. I use a 2000L pump to feed the reactor. With a needlevalve on the output hose I can get the pressure in the reactor that I want.
My pH in the reactor is 6,22 and I never se any gas in the top of it. The Ph in the tanks is above 8, not only in the daytime. Kh in the display is 8. I´m using a "piggybag" (neutralization chamber) to use up the rest Co2. It is very powerfull. Last time i messured the output Water it was Kh 27
I have a sediment filter between the reactor output and the needlevalve to prevent any clogging. Its a sediment filter like the ones used in my RO device.
I also noticed, that treadstarter had to supply with extra Kh and a kalkstirrer to fulfill the demands of Kh.
I haven´t have any problems like that, after I increased the pressure. Well, thats not quite true. I had to refill my reactor every month to keep up.
I changed to a larger cirkulation pump to increase the virtual height in the reactor and that solved the problem. I´m now using a 3000 L pump for cirkulation.
Sorry for any misspelling or wrong grammar. I´m from Denmark and English is not my first language. But I think, that you will have less problems with the reading, than if I wrote in Danish.

Emac909

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @ToXIc love the vid. This is the way I've been running calrx for a few years now. A few years back I finally got sick of the whole bubble drip counting method and thought to myself why can I use the acidity of the pH in the reactor to control the melt rate. For most part I got sick and tired of making sure my drip count was constant every day. Witch made me just get get rid of the ball/needle valves all together and run the effluent full stream.
One thing is key tho. I highly recommend that when controlling the co2 with a controller and a solenoid that u don't dump to much co2 in at once so that the solenoid is constantly turning on and off. I recommend that you adjust the needle valve on your co2 regulator to let the pH value drop a point every 3 to 5 minutes if longer better. I say this cause I learned first hand what could happen if u dump to much co2 to quick. 5 years ago in an old system I had a cheep regulator setup and the hammer inside solenoid got stuck in the open position. I dumped a full tank (or pretty dang close to) of co2 in one weekend. I got home from a long weekend at a concert to find every thing in my tank was dead except my sohal tang (witch I still have to this day). The pH was so low in the system that my test kits couldn't read it correctly.
Here's a pic of the tank the day after
a1d5a3d382951c4f43956a1306abb434.jpg

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very helpful video/thread for a first time setup. I ran a CA Rx for the first time a month ago and did not have enough demand to effectively set it. I was also under the assumption ph had to be very low to dissolve.

Going to hook it back up tomorrow and add a couple more SPS to increase demand. :)

nice!

Interesting thread. I have been running my Ca Rx since the summer 2012. I´m using the same method that is shown in the video. I keep my output steady on 200ml/min and only use the Ph in the reactor to adjust the Kh, Ca and Mg.
In the beginning I had some problems with the Kh demand. I couldn´t get enough out of the reactor. My tanks are heavely stocked with corals.
My reactor is build by a Fellow reefer (it has two connected chambers) and I discussed the problem with him. The issue was this: If I increased the Co2 indput to get more effect out of the reactor, it turned into gas in the top of the reactor.
He sugested that I increased the pressure inside the reactor. If the pressure increases, the Water will be able to "hold on" to the Co2 and it wont become a gas. He mentioned, that it is the same principle that is used in soft drinks or beer in cans. It releases the Co2 when you open it, because the pressure is Falling and then You get all the bubbles. It works in the same way in a Ca Rx.
I don´t use bypass because I cant get enough pressure in that way. I use a 2000L pump to feed the reactor. With a needlevalve on the output hose I can get the pressure in the reactor that I want.
My pH in the reactor is 6,22 and I never se any gas in the top of it. The Ph in the tanks is above 8, not only in the daytime. Kh in the display is 8. I´m using a "piggybag" (neutralization chamber) to use up the rest Co2. It is very powerfull. Last time i messured the output Water it was Kh 27
I have a sediment filter between the reactor output and the needlevalve to prevent any clogging. Its a sediment filter like the ones used in my RO device.
I also noticed, that treadstarter had to supply with extra Kh and a kalkstirrer to fulfill the demands of Kh.
I haven´t have any problems like that, after I increased the pressure. Well, thats not quite true. I had to refill my reactor every month to keep up.
I changed to a larger cirkulation pump to increase the virtual height in the reactor and that solved the problem. I´m now using a 3000 L pump for cirkulation.
Sorry for any misspelling or wrong grammar. I´m from Denmark and English is not my first language. But I think, that you will have less problems with the reading, than if I wrote in Danish.

man that sounds crazy thats a big ole feed pump.. any pictures? 200ml/min is alot that will cause you to be dosing too much CO2 that is doesnt get a chance to dissolve into the water and thats causing it to accumulate on to of the Rx hence the large feed pump to force water into the chambers to dissolve the CO2.
Also i could reduce the melting point off the effluent to keep up with demand but Acros love kalk its like coral crack plus it buff the ph a lil.. i like the idea of the sediment filter i'll look into that..

Hey @ToXIc love the vid. This is the way I've been running calrx for a few years now. A few years back I finally got sick of the whole bubble drip counting method and thought to myself why can I use the acidity of the pH in the reactor to control the melt rate. For most part I got sick and tired of making sure my drip count was constant every day. Witch made me just get get rid of the ball/needle valves all together and run the effluent full stream.
One thing is key tho. I highly recommend that when controlling the co2 with a controller and a solenoid that u don't dump to much co2 in at once so that the solenoid is constantly turning on and off. I recommend that you adjust the needle valve on your co2 regulator to let the pH value drop a point every 3 to 5 minutes if longer better. I say this cause I learned first hand what could happen if u dump to much co2 to quick. 5 years ago in an old system I had a cheep regulator setup and the hammer inside solenoid got stuck in the open position. I dumped a full tank (or pretty dang close to) of co2 in one weekend. I got home from a long weekend at a concert to find every thing in my tank was dead except my sohal tang (witch I still have to this day). The pH was so low in the system that my test kits couldn't read it correctly.
Here's a pic of the tank the day after

man sorry about your loss...

nice stuff.. like the idea of ditching the output valve.. but the output proportionally dependent on the input right?
i got your point about not overdoing CO2.. it was also mentioned in the video.

Rockmp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thread! Thanks for posting this. What feed pump are you using for your reactor?

Emac909

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man sorry about your loss...

nice stuff.. like the idea of ditching the output valve.. but the output proportionally dependent on the input right?
i got your point about not overdoing CO2.. it was also mentioned in the video.

For the input/output ratio it's what ever can go through that 1/4 tubbing. So my reactor is a home modified cal reactor. I modified the plumbing on an old coralife reactor and made it a calcium reactor. I made it in a way where I don't need a feed pump to supply the reactor. I did this by basically installing a venture on the inlet side of the pump, just like how the venture works on a skimmer but instead of drawing air it's drawing in water and co2 into the reactor. The outlet for the effluent is on the outlet side of the pump so that it will push water out of the reactor with head pressure.
Here's a quick pic of my ghetto reactor
cec7ccc6395db798ff3d8b2ed13c532f.jpg

That T has the venture piece inside. I've been running this reactor for over a year now with no problem. It runs my 300 gallon flawlessly (as I'm knocking of wood).

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
f301eb61555ed35a67317d6fc274d71f.jpg
how's this for fine tuning the PH in my reactor?? Thanks for the inspiration.

Crazy Seahorse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man that sounds crazy thats a big ole feed pump.. any pictures? 200ml/min is alot that will cause you to be dosing too much CO2 that is doesnt get a chance to dissolve into the water and thats causing it to accumulate on to of the Rx hence the large feed pump to force water into the chambers to dissolve the CO2.
Also i could reduce the melting point off the effluent to keep up with demand but Acros love kalk its like coral crack plus it buff the ph a lil.. i like the idea of the sediment filter i'll look into that..

The reason for the high output is that I am close to the lower limit, which in my opinion is pH 6.10. Decreasing the output could lead to the demand for a larger Ca Rx or an alternate source (i.e. CA stirrer). I use approx. 6 kilograms of Co2 every three months and one kilograms of ARM Coarse media every month.

We had to modify the connecting pipe for the feeding pump from a small to a large connector. This changed the restriction from the inlet to the outlet, which increased the internal preassure of the CA Rx.

20150830_120650.jpg

Shows the sediment filter and the outlet.

rsz_20150830_122855.jpg

This tube is closed in one end and is placed inside the reactor top, where the outlet is located. It prevents Co2 from exiting the reactor along with the outlet Water, by lowering the outlet three cm from the top. Causing the Co2 to be recycled in the reactor. This is only a problem if the pressure is too low in the reactor.

20150830_125601.jpg

20150830_125501.jpg

These pictures to illustrate the modification of the CA Rx inlet.

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Got a pic of the tank. Would love to see what's eating up so much media.

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to this method and only adj the ph in the reactor once i got the bubble count for the co2 where i wanted my kh is around 9 my ca stays pretty constant at 425-430 ph in dt 8.3 at night to 8.5 in the day i dont run a seconday chamber my skimmer has a fresh air line pluse i am using a recirculating skimmer with lots of surface agitation in dt this method is so easy

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad it helps! Please don't forget to like and share the video.

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running my CaRx with this method for a good 1.5 months now. Only issue I have been having is keeping effluent output steady, with a manifold off the return, controlled by a needle valve like the one @ToXIc recommended.. Not too bad but occasionally. Still havent been able to keep alk at a steady number. Fluctuating between 8.5-10 with constant adjustments. I want 9.

So.... I found a Masterflex pump for an excellent price so I bought it. It does a max of 1440cc/hr, and adjustable. Is this going to work?

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running my CaRx with this method for a good 1.5 months now. Only issue I have been having is keeping effluent output steady, with a manifold off the return, controlled by a needle valve like the one @ToXIc recommended.. Not too bad but occasionally. Still havent been able to keep alk at a steady number. Fluctuating between 8.5-10 with constant adjustments. I want 9.

So.... I found a Masterflex pump for an excellent price so I bought it. It does a max of 1440cc/hr, and adjustable. Is this going to work?

I am having the same issue with keeping the effluent steady. Feed line off the return pump and it slows down to a drop per second after a day. The line is not clogged from what I can tell.

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try increasing the effluent drip so the particles will pass easier trough the needle valve. But raise the ph a lil to compensate so you won't overdose and test and adjust.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the same issue with keeping the effluent steady. Feed line off the return pump and it slows down to a drop per second after a day. The line is not clogged from what I can tell.

That's a situation where a pH controller might do a better job. :)

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try increasing the effluent drip so the particles will pass easier trough the needle valve. But raise the ph a lil to compensate so you won't overdose and test and adjust.

I placed the needle valve on the line in side to adjust the incoming flow so the effluent line is wide open and dependent on the input. I was hoping that would prevent any blockage.

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed the needle valve on the line in side to adjust the incoming flow so the effluent line is wide open and dependent on the input. I was hoping that would prevent any blockage.

Let us know how that works out. I would like to test the same but my feed is bigger

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%

Back