Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im adding more information about solutions we use that has traces of hydrogen/hydroxide that also is used to make calcium and magnesium chloride which makes products like Red Sea Calcium/Magnesium in liquid far more soluble in liquid form/water.

I cannot tell what you are referring to.

Calcium and magnesium chloride are extremely soluble in pure water.

Adding hydroxide will reduce the solubility, forming less soluble calcium hydroxide and much less soluble magnesium hydroxide.

Adding H+ will not increase the solubility of calcium or magnesium chloride.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1967.png

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot tell what you are referring to.

Calcium and magnesium chloride are extremely soluble in pure water.

Adding hydroxide will reduce the solubility, forming less soluble calcium hydroxide and much less soluble magnesium hydroxide.

Adding H+ will not increase the solubility of calcium or magnesium chloride.
Ca(OH)2 → CaO + H2O
Calcium hydroxide reacts with hydrogen chloride to first give calcium hydroxychloride and then calcium chloride.

your saying the exact samething im saying just in your own words and understanding I assume. Im giving the benefit of the doubt here

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you care to address any of the mistakes that were pointed out, or are you just rambling (nerding?) to yourself?
I addressed them all. Randy is more than welcome to continue saying the exacting I've been stating in his own words. which is pointed out in my recent comment as well as the comment about carbonate being dominate to allow calcification at higher PH levels.

Randy QUOTE
I don’t think I’m forgetting anything related to this thread.

On a molecular level, it is an interesting question of why some corals may calcify faster at higher pH. There are two possibilities that I don’t think have been adequately disentangled in the scientific literature:

1. Corals get carbonate by directly taking up carbonate, and there is more at higher pH

2. Corals get carbonate by directly taking up bicarbonate, splitting it into H+ and carbonate, and spitting out the H+. Spitting out the internally accumulating H+ is easier at higher pH.

It is certainly true that faster abiotic calcification (precipitation) at higher pH is due to #1.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're forgetting the chemistry of it all I see.

You DO know who you're talking (replying) to here, right??

It's the same in all PH/Alkalinity boosters. further showing us how Alkalinity is so attached to calc and mg.

I'm beginning to think you understand this stuff less than most of us do...

Im giving the benefit of the doubt here

Again, you're talking to Randy!!

@Randy Holmes-Farley, I have much respect for the lack of derision in your replies... You're a much better person than I ;)

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You DO know who you're talking (replying) to here, right??

Yes one of the many gate keepers on R2R.
I'm beginning to think you understand this stuff less than most of us do...
One person google and post from any article or video online that shows Alkalinity is in the form of bicarbonate above 8.0. And quickly do research on anything Randy is questioning about. I get it Randy is R2R favorite chem guy

The real issue here is that R2R is a place to share research and findings/ studies about reefing but instead this forum is so stuck in 1920's mentality when something fresh comes along it's met with pitch forks. One should be willing to further the chemistry conversation not turn it into a debacle. Super unfriendly and unwelcoming

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes one of the many gate keepers on R2R.

One person google and post from any article or video online that shows Alkalinity is in the form of bicarbonate above 8.0. And quickly do research on anything Randy is questioning about. I get it Randy is R2R favorite chem guy
No, Randy is a professional chemist...

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even Einstein was wrong. People such as Darwin :zany-face:
So first, Darwin was not wrong.

Second, if someone was telling you that the sky is normally orange, would you bother to post "articles or video" to dispute their claim?

Feel free to post nonsense; I'm sure anyone following this thread understands you don't know what you're talking about.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So first, Darwin was not wrong.

Second, if someone was telling you that the sky is normally orange, would you bother to post "articles or video" to dispute their claim?

Feel free to post nonsense; I'm sure anyone following this thread understands you don't know what you're talking about.

Cheers!

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
everyone continues to post laughing emojis but no article or video to shut my findings down. Amazing the number of sheep on R2R

Randy did just that early on. If you and Randy are saying the same things, then this is just another thread rehashing information we have known for decades. If you and Randy aren't say thing the same things, then it is pretty easy who to trust when it comes to chemistry and the truth.

But by all means, if you have cracked the code and "changed science" with some new findings, you are going to have to present your data a little better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.0%
Back