OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know if have been posted yet, but the old vs new label is very interesting.
Thanks. I didn't know if the label would ever make it into the "wild" or just stay on EPA website.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last that I heard, charges and fines were being pursued. These can take years. Feds were interested out of Minneapolis Federal District Court and maybe state charges in Minnesota District 4. Only way to know is to check District 4 Court for filings. Won't know much about the feds until everything is completed.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least the 3.5%'s cancel each other out.

Took a few reads to figure that chemical out:

Poly[oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride]

Last edited:

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FB_IMG_1710415579202.jpg

And this is why I am upset! Not that I lost corals while using it. It's because my children were around the tank and helping during all of this. I would have never dosed this crap to a full blown SPS tank let alone let my kids around it if that label was on the bottle.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wasn't going to - but I will. It's clear - that vibrant contained (contains) an algaecide - as compared to what they said. If anyone (seriously) thinks they could have medical claims - Go to your local doctor. (Some people have been concerned about an algaecide) And initiate a lawsuit - and thats serious - not just a comment

EDIT - they say now there is a different chemical - in the past it was supposed to be more bacterial

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, Reef2Reef does not permit discussion of initiating lawsuits about anything, so let’s nip that in the bud. :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
FB_IMG_1710415579202.jpg

And this is why I am upset! Not that I lost corals while using it. It's because my children were around the tank and helping during all of this. I would have never dosed this crap to a full blown SPS tank let alone let my kids around it if that label was on the bottle.
just curious - is there any evidence proven that the contents of vibrant is toxic to corals? If I remember you blamed it for tank destruction

Rewd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. I had not seen the label. The whole saga is just such a sad commentary on humanity (IMO).

Not just the company who said to our face over and over that it wasn’t a chemical pesticide, but also the people who may have been company schills, or were just overzealous fan boys who in these threads went on endlessly about how this that or the other experiment might be explained away with some bizarre but benign explanation.
The reefing community is absolutely infested with shills and fan boys that constantly promote expensive trash. It's really disheartening what has happened to this hobby over the last decade or so. This saga is just another symptom of that imo.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just curious - is there any evidence proven that the contents of vibrant is toxic to corals? If I remember you blamed it for tank destruction

I am not going to get into this with you again.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am not going to get into this with you again.
I believe you - The reason I asked is because - you blamed vibrant for killing coral - I remember the picture. However - the argument became - Vibrant was an algaecide - as compared to vibrant kills coral? I just was wondering where the evidence was (except in rare tanks - mine being one of them - which is a bit ironic) that vibrant killed coral. Do you have any evidence?

Last edited:

Damien Buckley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant and Algaefix are chemical pesticides. They may have uses in reef tanks, but users should know and understand that there are possible risks. The chemical used is, for example, approved for killing mollusks.
That explains why all of my snails died when I used it. And clams now that I think of it. It was years ago. If I had even the slightest idea what it had in it I would never have gone anywhere near it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Damien Buckley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you - The reason I asked is because - you blamed vibrant for killing coral - I remember the picture. However - the argument became - Vibrant was an algaecide - as compared to vibrant kills coral? I just was wondering where the evidence was (except in rare tanks - mine being one of them - which is a bit ironic) that vibrant killed coral. Do you have any evidence?
EDITED BY MODS:
Personal attacks are against TOS

Last edited by a moderator:

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short of an overdose I doubt this still directly killed coral. Lots of algae release toxins and this stuff definitly destabilized my tank and I fought Dino’s for over a year while slowly watching the coral die off.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question of whay kills what is always a matter of dose, and in this case it may also be what other surfaces beside the organism if interest are present for it to attach to and become inactivated.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT - they say now there is a different chemical - in the past it was supposed to be more bacterial

Huh? So previously it was a natural bacterial miracle but now after an investigation they’ve decided to add this not so natural ‘bad’ stuff and change the label? Is this what you’re proposing?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Short of an overdose I doubt this still directly killed coral. Lots of algae release toxins and this stuff definitly destabilized my tank and I fought Dino’s for over a year while slowly watching the coral die off.
Yes - mine as well! - Thats why I asked the question. I used it once - and never again (in my case, I definitely overdosed it). I must not be a very good paid shill - since I personally don't use or endorse the product.

Orito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - mine as well! - Thats why I asked the question. I used it once - and never again (in my case, I definitely overdosed it). I must not be a very good paid shill - since I personally don't use or endorse the product.
Actually an amazing shill, keep placing doubt about the truth.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back