Understanding Vibrant: Algaefix, Polixetonium Chloride / Busan 77

jeffww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the meantime people still seem to be bottling what's likely polyquat as "natural" algae remedies. It's actually incredible how easy doing this seems to be. It shouldn't be the hobbyist's job to play whack a mole or chemical sherlock holmes with bad actors like this. They are a "plant derived" anti algae that lists 1% tannic acids to try to obfuscate the analysis. I'm almost certain we could just feed it through a column of activated carbon to clean it up and just get the polyquat out and do the same analysis. Based out of seattle so I would bet state of washington would go after them with enough proof.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Can Do What I Want Parks And Recreation GIF
What Have I Done Cat GIF

Glad to see that the information has been obtained and the results explained for the community. :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the meantime people still seem to be bottling what's likely polyquat as "natural" algae remedies. It's actually incredible how easy doing this seems to be. It shouldn't be the hobbyist's job to play whack a mole or chemical sherlock holmes with bad actors like this. They are a "plant derived" anti algae that lists 1% tannic acids to try to obfuscate the analysis. I'm almost certain we could just feed it through a column of activated carbon to clean it up and just get the polyquat out and do the same analysis. Based out of seattle so I would bet state of washington would go after them with enough proof.

Was just coming to post this! Started seeing the ads today. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0602/1690/1785/files/Algae_Control_SDS_10_22.pdf?v=1665272269

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn't be the hobbyist's job to play whack a mole or chemical sherlock holmes with bad actors like this.

With benefit of hindsight and knowing a bit more what to look for, polyquat solutions are not hard to detect. (if you want to know which polyquat, that's still a hard question you need a fancy-lab-test for.)

If a hobbyist wanted to know if someone is sneaking polyquat into an algae killing product, there's several things you could do to check ranked from easiest/cheapest - to highest confidence.

1) Dawn soap: (check label to make sure it's got Sodium Lauryl Sulfate)
stir ~1 teaspoon soap in ~1 cup of tap water.
A single drop of the polyquat product (if it has a few %) into 50mL of the dilute soapy water will form strong white precipitate that clouds the whole thing. A drop of saltwater or of any bacterial product barely does anything.

2) bromophenol blue:
dry a drop of the suspect product on a glass slide, dry drops of saltwater, tap water, bacterial products or any other comparison side by side. Add a drop of Bromophenol blue to each dried spot.
a polyquat solution even if you dilute it 30x or so, will shift the color indicator from purple to blue (subtle shift). A non-polymer quaternary ammonium compound (like benzalkonium chloride) will shift the color much more to a sky blue.

3) SDS solution (more persuasive version of dawn soap chemistry):
Add 1x up to 10x recommended doses of the suspected product to saltwater. Add 10mL of the saltwater + product samples to hanna cuvettes, add 0.10mL of 10% SDS solution. Cloudines will be proportional to polyquat concentration. Can compare concentration to known labeled products this way. (I found out my LFS was using Vibrant on their display tank - but not their other tanks - this way ;).)

4) LaMotte Polyquat titration kit
This is a kit specifically for polyquats and contains corrections for pH, hardness etc. Gives good quantification. Test product diluted into freshwater, it fails in saltwater.

5) fancy professional lab test

Honestly, every hobby additive I've ever checked was easily distinguished between the polyquats and everything else by just the dawn soap test.

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rtparty The Dawn soap thing by itself isn't enough for me to declare that I know something is a polyquat. But it's plenty to tell me what's not a polyquat and what to be very suspicious of.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just reading the ingredient list and all instructions makes it sound just like Vibrant all over.

I believe my dad is using this on his FW planted tank. I will grab some and do the dawn test
They are claiming it’s safe for saltwater now as well… they still are saying “maybe ok” for reef

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@rtparty The Dawn soap thing by itself isn't enough for me to declare that I know something is a polyquat. But it's plenty to tell me what's not a polyquat and what to be very suspicious of.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, I am going to assume it is a duck in this situation ;)

At a minimum, it very likely tells us they are lying in their marketing and claims just like UWC. Sadly, no compnay gets the benefit of the doubt with algae killing elixirs these days

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ever since talking about Green Water Labs in here and with my dad to get a sample from him, it’s popping up all over my Facebook ads. (I didn’t get a sample yet BTW.)

So I decided to read a few comments from them.

Couple notable comments have been (I’m paraphrasing here)

“It can be used in saltwater but they don’t know if it’s safe with corals yet

It will lower your pH slightly when used.”

So my question is do we know if polyquats will lower pH when used? Would an “organic biowaste, plant based solution” lower pH as well?

I understand answering those questions likely has a lot of gray area and caveats but maybe it sheds a little light?

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my question is do we know if polyquats will lower pH when used? Would an “organic biowaste, plant based solution” lower pH as well?

I understand answering those questions likely has a lot of gray area and caveats but maybe it sheds a little light?
Those statements could be accurate, and still wouldn't tell us much of anything. Those polyquats don't have strong pH effects themselves, so a little bit of other stuff in the bottles could move the pH around without indicating anything about the polyquat or if there is any.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since talking about Green Water Labs in here and with my dad to get a sample from him, it’s popping up all over my Facebook ads. (I didn’t get a sample yet BTW.)

So I decided to read a few comments from them.

Couple notable comments have been (I’m paraphrasing here)

“It can be used in saltwater but they don’t know if it’s safe with corals yet

It will lower your pH slightly when used.”

Tannins can lower the pH. Those might be in there just to obscure any attempts at testing. Only extract that has ever seemed to have any impact was some hay extract years ago for fw iirc. I dunno how or why or if it really worked

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those statements could be accurate, and still wouldn't tell us much of anything. Those polyquats don't have strong pH effects themselves, so a little bit of other stuff in the bottles could move the pH around without indicating anything about the polyquat or if there is any.

Agreed, a quaternary amine has no impact on pH.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw one of the ingredients is acetic acid but only like 3% or something low

The pH in the bottle certainly can be from acetic acid. 3% acetic acid in DI water will have quite a low pH.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't see any information here or on their website - that this is vibrant 2.0. Which carries several connotations. I guess one could say 'Algaefix 2.0' - but I'm not sure thats correct either.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So they actually haven’t developed anything new or groundbreaking like they claim?
Do me a favor - post where they have claimed something groundbreaking - then prove that they are wrong

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back