Understanding Vibrant: Algaefix, Polixetonium Chloride / Busan 77

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1701300690417.gif
This is just another chase a company - IMHO - There is no relationship with this company and the OP - no 'studies' have been done. And if it's available at a similar price as algae fix - who cares? Even if it's double the price - who cares. If people are wrong enough to pay - let them - if it works it works. I would not buy it

Last edited:

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just another chase a company - IMHO - There is no relationship with this company and the OP - no 'studies' have been done. And if it's available at a similar price as algae fix - who cares? Even if it's double the price - who cares. If people are wrong enough to pay - let them - if it works it works. I would not buy it
I’m just here to watch the show. I’m not making any claims of any sort. The and here we go popcorn gif wasn’t a personal jab. People can come to their own conclusions in regards to what a 1% proprietary bacterial or organic plant based blend may or may not be, and whether it’s 100% safe for all one’s livestock. I visited the website after your comment and will say that I think it’s odd that while it’s stated to be safe for fish, plants and even shrimp, I didn’t read anything about invertebrates/mollusks. That doesn’t mean anything, but I do find it interesting……

Last edited by a moderator:

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do me a favor - post where they have claimed something groundbreaking - then prove that they are wrong

No Sketchy or Harmful Ingredients​

By harnessing the power of Nature through compounds in organic plant-waste, we're able to provide healthy, renewable alternatives to toxic chemicals and high-stress problem solving in your tank. It’s time we start working with ecosystems instead of against them.

We know how water ecosystems balance & regulate algae, so we bottled key compounds to support your aquarium's ability to do so on their own.

Our products are made soley from local, organic plant-waste in Seattle

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

No Sketchy or Harmful Ingredients​

By harnessing the power of Nature through compounds in organic plant-waste, we're able to provide healthy, renewable alternatives to toxic chemicals and high-stress problem solving in your tank. It’s time we start working with ecosystems instead of against them.

We know how water ecosystems balance & regulate algae, so we bottled key compounds to support your aquarium's ability to do so on their own.

Our products are made soley from local, organic plant-waste in Seattle
I never said they were a good or perfect problem. As compared to vibrant - which seems to be proven sketchy this product has not. (lol waiting for the comments that I'm an employees of this company)

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never said they were a good or perfect problem. As compared to vibrant - which seems to be proven sketchy this product has not. (lol waiting for the comments that I'm an employees of this company)
I don’t claim to be a chemist and there’s probably.a couple hundred people on here that know more about this stuff but they claim a proprietary plant extract, what’s proprietary if everyone is using whatever is in algaefix? Guess it’s better than saying magic bacteria.

Water, proprietarty plant extract, less than 1% (Acetic acid, antioxidants)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t claim to be a chemist and there’s probably.a couple hundred people on here that know more about this stuff but they claim a proprietary plant extract, what’s proprietary if everyone is using whatever is in algaefix? Guess it’s better than saying magic bacteria.

Water, proprietarty plant extract, less than 1% (Acetic acid, antioxidants)

FWIW, while I do not know what is in the product, or whether it works at all in various settings, I find what they have written less than convincing that they take plant waste, extract a polyquat-like substance, and provide a cost effective algae control product.

Highly positively charged biomolecules are not very common. Protamine and chitosan are a couple of them, and they can be isolated from shellfish. I have no idea if they kill algae.

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jeffww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, while I do not know what is in the product, or whether it works at all in various settings, I find what they have written less than convincing that they take plant waste, extract a polyquat-like substance, and provide a cost effective algae control product.

Highly positively charged biomolecules are not very common. Protamine and chitosan are a couple of them, and they can be isolated from shellfish. I have no idea if they kill algae.

I did light googling and there are some cationized cellulose derived products used in the beauty industry marketed under the polyquat umbrella name. No info on whether they are algaecidal. In my previous lab we aminated cellulose with aminosilane chemistry but I'm sure there's less expensive alternatives.

I also wouldn't be surprised the chitosan and protamine are at least somewhat toxic to algae. They are very toxic to cells in general as transfection reagents (which was what my phd work was loosely connected to).

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw this video yesterday and am naturally going to assume (based on the dialog in this thread) that Vibrant is as nefarious as it seems and can absolute cause harm to your tank?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw this video yesterday and am naturally going to assume (based on the dialog in this thread) that Vibrant is as nefarious as it seems and can absolute cause harm to your tank?

Vibrant and Algaefix are chemical pesticides. They may have uses in reef tanks, but users should know and understand that there are possible risks. The chemical used is, for example, approved for killing mollusks.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

The complaint about vibrant was not that it didn't work - but that it didn't work in the manner described on the label. There is no problem with vibrant in most tanks - just as there is no problem with algae fix in most tanks. I would not use either product for various reasons.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It is most likely 'safe' but just give your money to algaefix since they are 1/2 the price and not scum bag liars.

Just watch out for dinos after using it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I had not seen the label. The whole saga is just such a sad commentary on humanity (IMO).

Not just the company who said to our face over and over that it wasn’t a chemical pesticide, but also the people who may have been company schills, or were just overzealous fan boys who in these threads went on endlessly about how this that or the other experiment might be explained away with some bizarre but benign explanation.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back