URGENT* HELP! Bubbles in silicone!

AustinAquaculture

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I recently purchased a Marineland 93g rimless cube from a LFS. I was ignorant and didn't thoroughly inspect every seam of the tank before filling it up and getting everything going. I noticed this today... should I be worried?

I've spoken with a few people who say that it is purely cosmetic, albeit these conversations were over the phone and a clear picture wasn't provided to the people I was talking to.

Any advice is welcome. Someone, reassure me!

IMG_1842.thumb.JPG.5ea3879f66a7fedfb3ee4c337dd6b41a.JPG

buckroe07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I'm a little worried. I wouldn't leave it especially since it's a rimless tank so its only being held together by the silicone. If it were tiny bubbles here and there, sure but that looks like there's hardly any bond from the inside of the tank to the outside which is more noticeable towards the top. Sorry.:(

OP
OP
A

AustinAquaculture

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I'm a little worried. I wouldn't leave it especially since it's a rimless tank so its only being held together by the silicone. If it were tiny bubbles here and there, sure but that looks like there's hardly any bond from the inside of the tank to the outside which is more noticeable towards the top. Sorry.:(

Thanks for chiming in! I'm still trying to research a little bit before making a decision. But I'm still quite concerned!

OP
OP
A

AustinAquaculture

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just noticed that ALL of the seams have little bubbles in them. There is another towards the front that looks like the one pictured. The other ones aren't as noticeable.

YIKES!

buckroe07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That most certainly did it for me although not as bad as the other side. Its structural integrity seems too comprised for my liking. Maybe no immediate threat so if you plan on upgrading, do it a lot sooner than later, lol!

OP
OP
A

AustinAquaculture

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That most certainly did it for me although not as bad as the other side. Its structural integrity seems too comprised for my liking. Maybe no immediate threat so if you plan on upgrading, do it a lot sooner than later, lol!

Eek! SO not a happy camper right now. I found another thread on another forum where a person had seams like mine, and the "experts," claimed it was fine and not to worry about it. Marineland apparently says that these air bubbles are "normal."

What the heck?!

OP
OP
A

AustinAquaculture

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose that you could reinforce it from the inside with something like this?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-2-8-oz-Silicone-Aquarium-Sealant-00688/100128841

Urgh. I don't think I'm handy enough to do that without mucking it up. I'm either going to tear down and get a new one, or leave it up and running and hope for the best. I've been reading threads on the issue (specifically with Marineland tanks), and keep coming to the conclusion that it is cosmetic, but to watch it in case it begins to spread. But who knows? For every 1 person who says they've had issues, there are countless more who haven't.

I won't be sleeping a wink tonight. Ha.

duncangweller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a marine land 93 rimless also, and although I didn't have bubbles in any of the seams, the silicone work was abysmal. It was all over the glass and so untidy. Bothered me from the day I bought it to the day I sold it

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long ago did you buy this? It would be getting replaced if it were me. Those seams aren't a "if" they fail, it's a "when" they fail. I suggest talking with the place you purchased it from asap.

skim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 100 gal looked the same and I was freaked out and called the company that made it and was told the same nothing to worry about. That was 20 years ago and it is still up and running. It is a 5 footer with no center brace to boot.

OP
OP
A

AustinAquaculture

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a marine land 93 rimless also, and although I didn't have bubbles in any of the seams, the silicone work was abysmal. It was all over the glass and so untidy. Bothered me from the day I bought it to the day I sold it

Thank you for sharing your experience! How long was it up and running?

How long ago did you buy this? It would be getting replaced if it were me. Those seams aren't a "if" they fail, it's a "when" they fail. I suggest talking with the place you purchased it from asap.

I purchased it yesterday and got it up and running last night. I spoke with them and they said it is nothing to worry about, but they hadn't seen a picture yet. I'm going to take the photos into them today.

My 100 gal looked the same and I was freaked out and called the company that made it and was told the same nothing to worry about. That was 20 years ago and it is still up and running. It is a 5 footer with no center brace to boot.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I'm so glad that yours is still up and running!

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for chiming in! Do yours look like mine do?
When I do a large waterchange it will look like that for a couple days then get better. I think I've read reports of it getting better over time. If you ever see water moving into the seam then that is a different story, but on this tank it seems to be common to have the bubbles.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.1%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back