OP
A

AustinAquaculture

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I do a large waterchange it will look like that for a couple days then get better. I think I've read reports of it getting better over time. If you ever see water moving into the seam then that is a different story, but on this tank it seems to be common to have the bubbles.

Good to know. I'm feeling a little bit better knowing that others are having this issue and seeing no ill effects.

Would you say, just to have peace of mind, that I should just go ahead and tear down and get another brand?

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. I'm feeling a little bit better knowing that others are having this issue and seeing no ill effects.

Would you say, just to have peace of mind, that I should just go ahead and tear down and get another brand?

I think it's hard to say. I've heard of a lot of people claiming warranty and going through several replacement tanks that have the same issue from the start. I guess I'd send a picture to marineland and see what they say.

OP
OP
A

AustinAquaculture

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's hard to say. I've heard of a lot of people claiming warranty and going through several replacement tanks that have the same issue from the start. I guess I'd send a picture to marineland and see what they say.

Will do. I just shot them an e-mail!

Thanks again for chiming in.

themadman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rimless deep blue cube and had the same issue. I also freaked out at first. I contacted them and was told they are micro bubbles and completely normal from the pressure of filling the tank. Deep blue also uses black silicone so the bubbles were more noticeable. After the tank settled for a couple weeks the bubbles went away.

OP
OP
A

AustinAquaculture

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rimless deep blue cube and had the same issue. I also freaked out at first. I contacted them and was told they are micro bubbles and completely normal from the pressure of filling the tank. Deep blue also uses black silicone so the bubbles were more noticeable. After the tank settled for a couple weeks the bubbles went away.

Did yours look as severe as mine did?

themadman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did yours look as severe as mine did?

f292d55090cdabb16c904efe592160c1.jpg

21ade9ff2b95be1195f42d5e921fa6c1.jpg

This is what mine looked like. It was like this on all the corners. They are all completely gone now.

OP
OP
A

AustinAquaculture

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
f292d55090cdabb16c904efe592160c1.jpg

21ade9ff2b95be1195f42d5e921fa6c1.jpg

This is what mine looked like. It was like this on all the corners. They are all completely gone now.

Oh wow, yeah mine looks totally different. I'm hoping that Marineland gets back to me by Monday or Tuesday... I'm still contemplating whether or not I should go ahead and drain the tank.

themadman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, yeah mine looks totally different. I'm hoping that Marineland gets back to me by Monday or Tuesday... I'm still contemplating whether or not I should go ahead and drain the tank.

Well I hope they get back to you soon! I at least know how nerve racking that feeling can be. I was thinking about whether I should drain mine at the time too and was stressing it. I'm just about a year into my first saltwater tank and my first rimless. I personally don't have any expertise on sealing tanks. The patterns looked similar I thought and it just sounded exactly like what I went through but yours do look like a much wider area is affected within the seam. I hadn't looked at those pics of mine since I took them a year back. Good luck and keep us posted!

OP
OP
A

AustinAquaculture

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually going to grab a level and make sure these aren't actually stress marks, instead of air bubbles.

A member of my local forum suggested it might be the tank not being level, as the white marks are appearing on opposing corners.

OP
OP
A

AustinAquaculture

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:
Here is a photo of the level placed diagonally to the corners that have the issues. It looks ever so slightly off... could that be causing stress to the corners? @cromag08 I'd love your opinion as well!

IMG_1855.thumb.PNG.0df9ea2b94249048261298f7b450f340.PNG

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B.s. when done correctly, there should be no air bubbles.
Absolutely correct! This is horrible workmanship!

I'm in the glazing industry, and we do structural silicone glazing all the time. This would never pass any inspections. The bubbles are from either the glass not being cleaned properly, expired silicone, or it moved/shifted during the curing process. Any of which can cause joint failure.

I'd replace it. I don't think you'll have the opportunity to notice water seeping into it. Once it starts to fail it won't take long to blow the front off the tank.

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Aquaman024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of problems like this being in he glass and not he seam. Silicone will seal gaps in he glass... that being said, did they not polish the glass before siliconing? I would try and return it. You can not see those gaps unless the tank is filled.

Always ask for a fill test[emoji106]

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use that tank! Others may have "rolled the dice" and have been lucky so far, but it's not right and should be replaced. I suspect bad batch of silicone that had micro bubbles in the tube at the time of application that didn't show till cured. Make them replace it or refund your money. Will it fail anytime soon...... roll the dice.

OP
OP
A

AustinAquaculture

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely correct! This is horrible workmanship!

I'm in the glazing industry, and we do structural silicone glazing all the time. This would never pass any inspections. The bubbles are from either the glass not being cleaned properly, expired silicone, or it moved/shifted during the curing process. Any of which can cause joint failure.

I'd replace it. I don't think you'll have the opportunity to notice water seeping into it. Once it starts to fail it won't take long to blow the front off the tank.

Thank you for your opinion! I'm so happy to have experts chiming in!!! Hopefully Marineland will agree and replace the tank for me. I had a nervous breakdown yesterday from worrying so much. LOL!

Although a good idea, the panel would need to be removed entirely, cleaned and re-sealed. There wouldn't be enough glass to silicone contact to help the structural aspect.

I have heard of problems like this being in he glass and not he seam. Silicone will seal gaps in he glass... that being said, did they not polish the glass before siliconing? I would try and return it. You can not see those gaps unless the tank is filled.

Always ask for a fill test[emoji106]

I was also wondering if it was just them not polishing the glass as well. Because those white spots on there don't appear to be bubbles, but there are bubbles that surround the white patches. Either way, I'm hoping for a replacement!

OP
OP
A

AustinAquaculture

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use that tank! Others may have "rolled the dice" and have been lucky so far, but it's not right and should be replaced. I suspect bad batch of silicone that had micro bubbles in the tube at the time of application that didn't show till cured. Make them replace it or refund your money. Will it fail anytime soon...... roll the dice.

Thanks for chiming in! I'm very nervous about it and I'm hoping it makes it until Monday or Tuesday around the time I expect to hear back from MarineLand.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your opinion! I'm so happy to have experts chiming in!!! Hopefully Marineland will agree and replace the tank for me. I had a nervous breakdown yesterday from worrying so much. LOL!

I was also wondering if it was just them not polishing the glass as well. Because those white spots on there don't appear to be bubbles, but there are bubbles that surround the white patches. Either way, I'm hoping for a replacement!

Could be dust on the end of the glass. Doesn't matter. Bad build.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.5%
Back