Using ground probes in aquariums

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Brew12, Oct 20, 2016.

1. WindeyD

WindeyD Well-Known Member

I turn off every electrical device in my system before ever putting my hand in/on the tank; with a controller it is just the push of a button; had an issue some months back where one of my hydor powerheads was faulty and I felt some tingling every time I touched the tank; I'm not taking any chances!

Brew12 and jgvergo like this.
  2. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Article Contributor Partner Member

That is definitely a safe option! I do have a switch set up on my Apex to turn everything off but I really created that in the event of a catastrophic water leak. Even though I use a ground probe I may consider doing that.

WindeyD likes this.
  3. Betty1964

Betty1964 Well-Known Member

I have the grounding probe with a suction cup to hold it down. Darn thing keeps popping loose and floating.

Brew12 likes this.
  4. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Article Contributor Partner Member

Glad to know you are using one! I keep mine in a magnetic probe holder with my temp and pH probe. Works very well for me but I realize not everyone used probes.

5. authentic

authentic Well-Known Member

I have a a few power strip plugged into my wall outlets.can I plug the probe into a power strip or does it have to be in the wall to work?

6. Brew12

The wall would be better, but it should work just fine plugged into your power strip.

7. authentic

authentic Well-Known Member

Thx

Brew12 likes this.
  8. v10king

v10king Well-Known Member

I've tried ground probes in the past and they haven't done anything for me but Im sure I don't have an electrical spark? Probably could help save someone in the event of something short circuiting in the tank.

9. Brew12

Ideally, a ground probe should have nothing to do but reduce induced voltages in the aquarium. It's strictly a safety precaution for an electrical failure inside the tank.

10. petemichelle

petemichelle Well-Known Member

I have a Reef Keeper Elite and whenever I have the USB plugged into my computer, the Reefkeeper sensors are all irratic, i.e. Salinity probe giving way off readings...as soon as I unplug the USB, everything is fine. I've heard it is because of stray voltage. Will the grounding probe help with this?!

11. Brew12

Unfortunately, I don't think so. Have you tried using a different USB cable? It sounds more like a voltage issue between your Reefkeeper and your computer.

12. Lasse

Lasse Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Is the Reef Keeper grounded? Is the computer grounded? Is the computer a labtop or a normal computer?

Sincerely Lasse

13. petemichelle

petemichelle Well-Known Member

Yes tried different cable and different unpowered hub. Same result. I ca take the probe out of the sump and out it in a glass of tank water and it acts right. Put it back in the sump and it goes loopy again. Them reef keeper is plugged into a 3 prong grounded outlet. There is no other option to ground. Same with the
    Computer.

14. Mark Gray

Mark Gray Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Very True but I wish we had 220-230 over here it would save a little power, yes we have in the box for driers heaters and Ac but not for normal outlet wires, wish we did.

15. Brew12

I think using a ground probe is important anyway, but I doubt it will fix your issue.

16. Brew12

Higher voltage hardly saves any power. Higher voltage allows for lower current for the same power. That does save some loses but it is fairly negligible at the household level. A 300w heater will use almost the exact same amount of power at 22oV as at 120V.

MacQac likes this.
  17. Aiden Parker

Aiden Parker Omega Coral R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor Toys For Kids 2016

This is great advice! Electricity can be deadly for a reef tank! Especially since when electricity touches saltwater, it produce hypochlorous acid (HClO) and sodium hypochlorite (NaClO), which are the sanitizing agents commonly used in swimming pools.

I had a buddy that went away for a weekend, came back home, and his 200G tank was 100% dead. The return pump had something major wrong with it, and the electricity was in the water all weekend. He sent a water sample off to a lab and it came back with the results of high levels of chlorine.

Ramasule and Brew12 like this.
  18. powers2001

powers2001 started reefing 1999

Why shouldn't we use portable GFCIs?

19. Brew12

There is nothing wrong with the use of portable GFCI's. In fact, I like the idea of using them for individual loads. These are fantastic when used in conjunction with grounding probes.

20. powers2001

powers2001 started reefing 1999

Why isn't absolutely necessary to plug the grounding probe into the GFCI?