Using Spacers On DIY Tanks

mrbee2828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read a lot about this topic but don't think I have a clear answer. I have made dozens of small tanks without spacers but the few larger ones I have made I feel like too much silione was squeezed out. Thus, we come to spacers if they can be left in out out etc.

I understand for floating bottom tanks, you can space out the panes of glass, clamp or tape in place and then inject the silicone into place. I have someone that wants help reassembling a Marineland tank. It's already disassembled and cleaned. It is not a floating bottom tank.

I don't want to get into the thickness of the gap, just spacer methods. For a tank with all 4 sides resting on the bottom pane I have seen toothpicks, zip ties and dabs of silicone as well as small circular spacers in professional tanks.On professional tanks with them, they are left in place.

It seems like if you are going to leave "something" in place, the trick is to use something that is not as thick as the glass pane. For example, a 3/8" thick rimless, using a spacer that is 1/8" is fine to leave in so that when you inject silicone or place a bead down and place the glass, the entire spacer is surrounded by silicone.

Does that make sense? IS it the best method - again for sides resting on top of the bottom pane ?

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read a lot about this topic but don't think I have a clear answer. I have made dozens of small tanks without spacers but the few larger ones I have made I feel like too much silione was squeezed out. Thus, we come to spacers if they can be left in out out etc.

I understand for floating bottom tanks, you can space out the panes of glass, clamp or tape in place and then inject the silicone into place. I have someone that wants help reassembling a Marineland tank. It's already disassembled and cleaned. It is not a floating bottom tank.

I don't want to get into the thickness of the gap, just spacer methods. For a tank with all 4 sides resting on the bottom pane I have seen toothpicks, zip ties and dabs of silicone as well as small circular spacers in professional tanks.On professional tanks with them, they are left in place.

It seems like if you are going to leave "something" in place, the trick is to use something that is not as thick as the glass pane. For example, a 3/8" thick rimless, using a spacer that is 1/8" is fine to leave in so that when you inject silicone or place a bead down and place the glass, the entire spacer is surrounded by silicone.

Does that make sense? IS it the best method - again for sides resting on top of the bottom pane ?
I used rubber dots on my 180 6ft glass tank with 1/2inch glass.

I left them in and its been wet for 1.5 years.

OP
OP
mrbee2828

mrbee2828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks for replying. I forgot to check back in on this. Yeah same, no solid answer. What kind of rubber dots did you use?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back