Velvet or something else?

Gulrez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to knowif this is velvet. I introduced two fishes around a week back.

pls see the sohal tang

Attachments

• IMG_3651.MOV
    46.8 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Need to knowif this is velvet. I introduced two fishes around a week back.

pls see the sohal tang
Yes- appears to be velvet and unusual is no others show this. You will likely have to treat the others in the tank OR at least treat the sohal in quarantine and treat tank with ruby Rally pro which is reef safe and addresses velvet but note that this is Not a recommended protocol but an option.
For the sohal-
Some behaviors associated with a fish with velvet are :
- Scratching body against hard objects
- Fish is lethargic
- Loss of appetite and weight loss
- Rapid, labored breathing
- Fins clamped against the body
- rapid breathing and mucus around the gills

Fish with velvet will typically stay at the surface of the water, or remain in a position where a steady flow of water is present in the aquarium. As the disease progresses outwards from the gills, the cysts then become visible on the fins and body. Although these cysts may appear as tiny white dots the size of a grain of salt, like the first sign of Saltwater Ich or White Spot Disease, what sets Oodinium apart from other types of ich is that at this point the fish have the appearance of being coated with what looks like a whitish or tan to golden colored, velvet-like film, thus the name Velvet Disease.
Remove fish from main tank and give them a FW dip or bath and then place them into a QT with vigorous aeration provided. Treat the fish in the QT with a copper-based medication. Although many over-the-counter remedies contain the general name as ich or ick treatments, carefully read the box to be sure it is specifically designed to target Oodinium. My choice is coppersafe at 2.25-2.5 therapuetic level at 80 degrees for a FULL 30 days monitored by a reliable copper test kit (no api brand either). Assure the medication you use states treats Oodinum

OP
OP
G

Gulrez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what’s confusing me. None of the other fishes are showing these symptoms and I have over 15 tangs in there. Everyone is eating well including the sohal tang.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what’s confusing me. None of the other fishes are showing these symptoms and I have over 15 tangs in there. Everyone is eating well including the sohal tang.

IMO - that is what I call "long term ich", Cryptocaryon. This situation happens when ich is in a tank of healthy fish, so it does not progress to the acute stage (where the fish all start dying), but rather, it lingers in some fish, for some time in a moderate stage.

Velvet (Amyloodinium) is always an acute infection - rapid breathing, hanging in water inflows, not feeding, with most/all fish involved. Fish loss starts in a few days. Very often, velvet doesn't show any spots at all, except near the end.

Do you have the ability to run hyposalinity in that tank? That won't help with velvet, but will help if it is ich (or in the off chance that it is flukes).

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back