Velvet wiped out almost all my fish, but what about the survivors?

All Delight

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had velvet run through one of my tanks, wiped out nearly all my fish that I've had for years.

Well now I'm in a predicament. After daily deaths, 3 fish have survived the massacre. It's been 2 weeks since the last fish death, the last 3 remaining fish look healthy and are eating like normal.

I can only assume the velvet is still "alive" in the tank since I haven't done any in tank medication since it's a reef tank, but for whatever reason this fish have been able to keep healthy.

So am I going to be rolling the dice every time I add new fish that the disease could arise infect them?

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish in the tank most likely have velvet but their immune system handled it. They still have it, the system still has it, anything you introduce might get it and not handle it as well as your survivors.

Fallow. QT.

Sucks, sorry to hear buddy :(

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, also there is a likely chance at the next cycle your remaining fish will succumb to the parasites.

What type of fish are left? A QT can be very cheap and the only way to proceed to ensure eradication.

Txag96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am experiencing the same thing. I lost just about everything except a clown, a bengai cardinal and a pajama cardinal. Now I need to catch them and QT them and let the tank go fallow. Any DIY fish trap ideas?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am experiencing the same thing. I lost just about everything except a clown, a bengai cardinal and a pajama cardinal. Now I need to catch them and QT them and let the tank go fallow. Any DIY fish trap ideas?

The best method is the low tide method. Drain your tank down pull the fish then put the water back in.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could also try one of these:
faae804fb7b04acdb5ebc331ec780b4e.jpg

I used an acclimation box with a piece of fishing line tied to the door. Just make sure the bait is yummy.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back