Vibrant freaking me out..

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using it as a last resort I think is exactly why it might be harmful. Your tank is already on its last legs and probably nutrient soaked to the pores, what happens when you suddenly massively kill all the nutrient trapping organisms in a closed environment? A room full of dead bodies.

I think this stuff works best as a maintenance item at the first sign of trouble not after you already have a huge problem.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using it as a last resort I think is exactly why it might be harmful. Your tank is already on its last legs and probably nutrient soaked to the pores, what happens when you suddenly massively kill all the nutrient trapping organisms in a closed environment? A room full of dead bodies.

I think this stuff works best as a maintenance item at the first sign of trouble not after you already have a huge problem.

I think you have it backwards, it doesn’t drastically reduce nutrients but it does reduce it, if used when your tank is deprived of nutrients then you will have a problem because it will completely strip your tank from them, I started dosing 4 weeks ago for bubble algae and because my nitrates shot to 25ppm phosphate .34 since then my nitrates are down to about 10ppm and phosphate still around .20 and I havent noticed any ill effects I actually see more polyp extension now and I see more of a Lil dust on many water column maybe just sand, bubble algea is starting to diminish I’m starting to see random BA on my water column and stuck in my powerheads. I’m doing 7ml every 3 days in a 75g DT with 30g Sump

Edit: and a lot more skimmate

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard that vibrant will kill chaeto as well.
It will if dosed enough since Chaeto is an algae. I use Vibrant and run a healthy fuge dosing once every other week. When I upped my dosing recently I pulled my chaeto before I started.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried vibrant at their recommended dosage and nearly killed every sps and lps coral in my tank. I talked to the people at the lfs store where I live and they told me they use it but only at half the dosage and not very often. They explained to me that since it's a bacteria that out competes algae for nutrients that it also out competes the zooxanthellae in coral. A week after I stopped using it my corals started to color back up and thrive again, I did lose a few however. I was trying to use it for a hair algae outbreak but since then I have added a deep sand bed in my refugium and letting my macro algae do its job. My nitrates and phosphates are now at much lower levels and the hair algae is very slowly dying off as the macro algae is growing

Tuoixuanxanh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried vibrant at their recommended dosage and nearly killed every sps and lps coral in my tank. I talked to the people at the lfs store where I live and they told me they use it but only at half the dosage and not very often. They explained to me that since it's a bacteria that out competes algae for nutrients that it also out competes the zooxanthellae in coral. A week after I stopped using it my corals started to color back up and thrive again, I did lose a few however. I was trying to use it for a hair algae outbreak but since then I have added a deep sand bed in my refugium and letting my macro algae do its job. My nitrates and phosphates are now at much lower levels and the hair algae is very slowly dying off as the macro algae is growing
How often are you dose and amount base on tank? I did my first dose last Thursday half of what recommend and hope it will not kill my chaeto. My tank mainly sps dominate and bubble algae.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often are you dose and amount base on tank? I did my first dose last Thursday half of what recommend and hope it will not kill my chaeto. My tank mainly sps dominate and bubble algae.
You won't be able to eliminate bubble algae while keeping your chaeto alive ime. Nothing wrong with starting slow with Vibrant but I would pull the Chaeto before you do more than 2 or 3 weekly doses.

Tuoixuanxanh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't be able to eliminate bubble algae while keeping your chaeto alive ime. Nothing wrong with starting slow with Vibrant but I would pull the Chaeto before you do more than 2 or 3 weekly doses.
Thank you. Will take my refugium offline.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the recommended dosage on the bottle, I also found a post online by the manufacturer that recommended how long to use it for what you are trying to get rid of. When I added my first dose the first thing that I noticed dying off was my macro algae in my refugium, after subsequent doses, based on their recommendations, I noticed the hair algae starting to die but way before it was gone my corals started bleaching. After my experience I've decided to never use it again and to just be patient and rely on slower and more natural processes of ridding algae. I still have hair algae but each day there is a little less to look at

Tuoixuanxanh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull chaeto offline and add second dose half of bottom recommend. Noticed the skimmer cup is darker and full quicker.

bhallo0217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ordered some vibrant after having an algae out break.. I did my first dose last night. I have a 70 gallon tank plus a 20 gallon or so sump. So I dosed 7ML. Today my pearl berry acro was completely bleached out, my Garf Bonsai tips look like they are starting to lose skin, and my oragon blue tort looks like its getting a bit light on the body as well.. This is absolutely freaking me out because even though they are smaller frags they were really settling in nicely and looking great.. Any other sps people have this issue with vibrant??
Hey Guys,

So I have a Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL that has been running for about 6 months. I transferred in all my rock and fish from my previous tank that was up and running for many years before I had it for over a year. I had an outbreak of what me and my lfs thought was cyano. It started slow but then exploded. It was everywhere. After 3 treatments of chemiclean, I saw no change, except possibly worse. I started searching and came upon Vibrant. My lfs store has done my water tests for me and every time the water comes up perfect. We even test my RO. So I resorted to Vibrant. After the first dose, nothing. After second, i noticed that my 3 BTAs weren't happy. They started to close. After the third treatment. They were pretty much missing. I also had 5 rock nems go missing. I noticed a heavy vinegar smell from my sump so i did a large water change. Then i went dark. Lights off, room shades all closed and no lights allowed on in the room. The next morning with a flashlight I checked my tank and immediately noticed that the cyano or dino, not sure what is was, started to take a beating. My sandbed was almost clear after 24 hours. Next day i noticed a heavy smell from the tank. The water was clouded over and brown. Sand bed still clearing. Next morning after I added carbon and new filter socks. Clear water and no smell. By night cloudy water and smell. Right around 70 hours of darkness I turned my lights on low and blue only. There was a little cloud in the water still. All sps and lps looked ok. I decided to to another dose of Vibrant to help clear the water. I'm about 5 days past going dark and the tank looked better. Sand bed is cleaner with some light color in spots. I still have sha on some of the rocks. I've looked around and the damage is devastating. Any nems I had are gone. I had 2 RBTAs that had split, and a large green BTA that my clowns hosted in. All gone. All 5 rock nems gone. Brittle starfish that was about 12" across is now 3" across. I have a spiny urchin, same thing all spines are about gone. I have several zoas that havent opened yet either. I'm not sure it was the Vibrant but I cant point to anything else.

Thanks,

Barry

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Vibrant once on my system which was still cycling and cloudy. It turned my tank into milk. I've gotten it to clear up somewhat, but I'm adding a uv sterilizer to deal with the near 3 month bacterial bloom.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I first started vibrant for a bubble algae issue. Twice a week for about 8 weeks now and I've had 0 issues with it. Bubble algae gone, and GHA took over for a while and actually got way worse before it started to get better.

I have several rock flowers, inverts, LPS, and SPS, and have 0 issue with it. If anything my SPS look better and have more PE as they are not trying to fight algae from taking over their bases.

If anyone has watched the videos on BRS about vibrant, they also noticed GHA got worse as the bacteria eats the most stubborn algae first. Then starts to work on the GHA.

Just keep in mind, it did not take overnight for your tank to get over run by algae, and vibrant is not a miracle cure in a bottle, and will not get rid of the algae overnight. This is a long process, and if vibrant is allowed to work(given enough time), it does work.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I first started vibrant for a bubble algae issue. Twice a week for about 8 weeks now and I've had 0 issues with it. Bubble algae gone, and GHA took over for a while and actually got way worse before it started to get better.

I have several rock flowers, inverts, LPS, and SPS, and have 0 issue with it. If anything my SPS look better and have more PE as they are not trying to fight algae from taking over their bases.

If anyone has watched the videos on BRS about vibrant, they also noticed GHA got worse as the bacteria eats the most stubborn algae first. Then starts to work on the GHA.

Just keep in mind, it did not take overnight for your tank to get over run by algae, and vibrant is not a miracle cure in a bottle, and will not get rid of the algae overnight. This is a long process, and if vibrant is allowed to work(given enough time), it does work.
If you read my other posts on R2R this experience echos my own with Vibrant. My coral actually look and grow just as well if not better with better PE while I'm dosing Vibrant (currently on my second round, first round killed off all bubble algae after about 7 months of dosing 2x/week; this round is to finish off the last remaining root *singular* of C. Serrulata left in the system). This stuff is gold IMO. Just leaves healthy coral/coraline/clean rock where there were mats of bubble algae before. Only thing it won't fix is Vermetids. FYI I keep nutrients around 20ppm Nitrate and .05-.07ppm Phosphate.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first round killed off all bubble algae after about 7 months of dosing 2x/week
In my system - i had a growing issue with bubble algae - after 7 months it was gone and only thing I did was be sure that I had a rather mixed hermit population. My point is that if it take 7 months - you do not have a clear evidence that it was the Vibrant that was effective. i have no evidence that it was my CUC that fix my problem either but I know for sure that it is hermits that eat this things. And crabs.

I have still the main question - what is the content of Vibrant and how does it work.

Sincerely Lasse

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my system - i had a growing issue with bubble algae - after 7 months it was gone and only thing I did was be sure that I had a rather mixed hermit population. My point is that if it take 7 months - you do not have a clear evidence that it was the Vibrant that was effective. i have no evidence that it was my CUC that fix my problem either but I know for sure that it is hermits that eat this things. And crabs.

I have still the main question - what is the content of Vibrant and how does it work.

Sincerely Lasse
My CUC hasn't changed in 2 years. I have zero crabs. Just trochus, one turbo, and some baby whelks. Other than that just nassarius and a coral banded shrimp. First few months was just slowing of growth, then slight bleaching and withering (smaller), followed by fading to nothing in the following months slowly but consistently. Vibrant was the only change and it took months to begin taking significant effect. But once it did, results were pretty stunning. Both bubble and C. Serrulata began to die off all together. A problem that had only gotten worse in the past was quickly fading away to nothing. If it was just the bubble, sure. But nothing touches C. Serrulata. That's why I'm a believer. Both faded away at the same time with Vibrant with zero observable or testable negatives. Just had to watch nutrients more closely and dose a little more no3.

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse
All one has to do is read the massive Vibrant thread started by @UWC to find the bottle contains proprietary strains of bacteria that actually eats the algae, and some vinegar to keep them alive. The reasons for the weekly dosing is the bacteria are actually short lived in saltwater, and need to be replenished weekly.

Again all one has to do is search out that massive thread and find any post by @UWC.

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you attempted to figure out why your system has both algae and dinos? The presence of both sounds like there are factors that make it difficult for sps corals to survive

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back