Vibrant? w Carbon dosing and fallow on bubble algae

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tanks been fallow for nearly 2 months and I am having quite the noticeable bubble algae issue. I have been carbon dosing for 2 years and love it but I notice that some methods change a bit because of the added bacteria populations caused from carbon dosing.

The issue and question is since vibrant is supposed to or likely to bottom out NO3 and PO4. Has anyone had issues using vibrant with carbon dosing? Any info for dosing to kill bubble algae. I think it’s 1ml/10g once then twice a week.

I have a 500g SPS system. Dosing 19ml a day of nitrate via ESV nitrate because of the fallow aspect. I have about 3 weeks before I’m going to add fish back in. I dose 3ml a day of bacto balance.

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Following. I’ve been thinking about using Vibrant at 1/10th in a tank that I have struggled with GHA popping up from time to time. I also carbon dose on that tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If either of you mean the Vibrant sold by Underwater Creations, I strongly advise against using a product from a company that lied to its users about the nature of that product.

If you want to use an algaecide and know the risks involved, I’d suggest getting it from a company that is up front about the composition and nature of the product.

OP
OP
NEFFx

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I know they lied about it not being an algaecide but then it was an algaecide. But I already have it so maybe we don’t get held up on the ethics of business in the world considering we all use fossil fuels to power our tanks and lots of animals die from the industry.
If either of you mean the Vibrant sold by Underwater Creations, I strongly advise against using a product from a company that lied to its users about the nature of that product.

If you want to use an algaecide and know the risks involved, I’d suggest getting it from a company that is up front about the composition and nature of the product.

OP
OP
NEFFx

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had I known I could have gotten algaefix for cheaper I would have. But when I search bubble algae removal this is what came up so I bought it.

Attachments

• IMG_2779.jpeg
    IMG_2779.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 30

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I know they lied about it not being an algaecide but then it was an algaecide. But I already have it so maybe we don’t get held up on the ethics of business in the world considering we all use fossil fuels to power our tanks and lots of animals die from the industry.

Well, do what you want. I can see a small reason to use it if you have already bought it. I still wouldn't use it even from a company that did disclose what it was since it does have problems in some tanks.

That said, you don't have to use fossil fuels for a reef tank, and no power plant hides how it makes power, but whatever.

OP
OP
NEFFx

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bear in mind the ingredient is also a demonstrated molluscicide, and is approved for that use.
I’m going to read more on this given my squamosa. I’m reluctant but also don’t like the bubble algae.

on the other. you might enjoy reading dark money and blowout.

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well, do what you want. I can see a small reason to use it if you have already bought it. I still wouldn't use it even from a company that did disclose what it was since it does have problems in some tanks.

That said, you don't have to use fossil fuels for a reef tank, and no power plant hides how it makes power, but whatever.
@Randy Holmes-Farley Thanks for sharing your concerns. I researched what you were talking about and wasn't fully aware of the situation. But for me, based on Randy's comments and his overall sentiments on the subject, I am going to pass and perhaps find a 3rd world country that I can start importing GHA into for some obscure reason, like - The new and improved Hair Club For Men...

OP
OP
NEFFx

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So can’t edit posts anymore? but the same question could be vibrant/algaefix as they are essentially the same thing and therefore same question.

Discussion on how they are the same.

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this stance. There is a lot wrong with the way we do things in this hobby and life in general, so to heck with all ethics! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer OPs question

I used Vibrant back in June to wipe out a GHA problem that I could not get under control using any other measures.

I followed the dosing guidelines, and after 6 weeks, my algae problem was gone.

All of my corals were fine and I had no issues due to vibrant

It will kill your chaeto so you have to toss that out and start over when you're ready for that.

My snails were all fine.

I don't know how Vibrant compares to Algaefix. I honestly don't care because I'm not willing to take the gamble by doing substitutions on my reef tank.

I have no GHA at all in my DT anymore, and very small amounts on my fuge rocks but it's overwhelmingly covered by my giant chaeto mat.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer OPs question

I used Vibrant back in June to wipe out a GHA problem that I could not get under control using any other measures.

I followed the dosing guidelines, and after 6 weeks, my algae problem was gone.

All of my corals were fine and I had no issues due to vibrant

It will kill your chaeto so you have to toss that out and start over when you're ready for that.

My snails were all fine.

I don't know how Vibrant compares to Algaefix. I honestly don't care because I'm not willing to take the gamble by doing substitutions on my reef tank.

I have no GHA at all in my DT anymore, and very small amounts on my fuge rocks but it's overwhelmingly covered by my giant chaeto mat.

I have to say how disappointed I am to hear folks promote such a product.

Do you also buy high end tech out of the back of a sketchy van in a dark alley, because it is cheaper?

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say how disappointed I am to hear folks promote such a product.

Do you also buy high end tech out of the back of a sketchy van in a dark alley, because it is cheaper?

The product works for me as advertised Randy

I don’t have any stake and only care a little bit about the claims of it being a bacteria vs an algaecide and whatever else

If someone else wants to sell a reef safe GHA killer that does the same thing but doesn’t claim to be bacteria I’ll happily try that - but I’m not going to run out and start using API because the internet says so

Even if it is the wise and powerful Randy whom I greatly respect and appreciate

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The product works for me as advertised Randy

I don’t have any stake and only care a little bit about the claims of it being a bacteria vs an algaecide and whatever else

If someone else wants to sell a reef safe GHA killer that does the same thing but doesn’t claim to be bacteria I’ll happily try that - but I’m not going to run out and start using API because the internet says so

Even if it is the wise and powerful Randy whom I greatly respect and appreciate

It does not work as advertised. It’s false advertising is the whole problem.

Anyway, I’ve said my piece.

Happy Reefing!

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do what you want of course, but for the benefit of others I'll point out... that by definition - you could have gotten it under control by using the same ingredient in any of the algae-killing products that are accurately/clearly labeled from API, Fritz, Tetra, and many others.

fortunately I do. Their concentrations were equal.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did use an algaecide, (which I thought was a magic bacteria at the time), for a stubborn bubble algae issue. Plus emerald crabs, it worked. Manual removal and I did dispose of some birds nest colonies that just seemed like a bubble algae breeding ground. I was annoyed when I found out it was not really magic bacteria. Thanks for those that pointed it out. I'd go with algaefix next time (if all other measures fail) and always skeptical of magic bacteria solutions.

OP
OP
NEFFx

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed they are the same. More curious on overall consensus of impact to livestock in already ULNS systems from either or any similar product. Clearly it doesn’t kill things on its own, or else this wouldn’t be a discussion. So trying to understand the best way to handle it.

I’ve done well with flatworm exit. It’s had both positive and negative comments.
I’ve used chemiclean. It’s great too
I’ve used bergias. Haven’t seen an aiptasia in months.

These solutions work well when done properly and sometimes it is just luck and persistence. But if there’s a good method to the madness, that is what I am after. Or maybe the risk to reward isn’t worth it.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back